SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#223674 - 01/01/08 09:22 PM back up keyboard
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
hey guys I'm starting to shop for a back up, i can't afford another t2, but wonderin if theres another option outside the 3k or s900 best bang for the buck

other than the pa800 is there any others that have an mp3 option

I hate to buy anything else but a yammie but Ive had awful luck with the key contacts on the s900 and 3k

all opinions welcome,

------------------
God Bless,
Mikey

www.mikeymaestro.com
www.balloonanimal.com
www.1000colorcards.com

#223675 - 01/01/08 11:01 PM Re: back up keyboard
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hi Mikey:

Happy New Year, I also own a T2, and as a back up, I also have a S900 (same reason, I can't $tretch it to the $econd T2), the S900 works VERY well, aside that it does not have the S.A. Brass, Strings and Organs..etc,
Basically you can make it work with some creative substitutions, at least it did in my own case.

A tip, if you use User styles or even the factory styles that the T2 has and the S900 do not, I made some folders in my USB drive and organize the styles that will be part on the registrations IN THE SAME folder. Due to the limited capacity or reading certain amount of files per folder, is advisable to organize the folders that will contain either per category, tempo, etc...just make sure that you have in the same folder the style and registration.
Another important TIP...if you need a back up USB Flash drive with your styles, Regs, Pads...etc...you must make the copy in the PC.....other wise you will loose the "link" style to registration if you copy it from the S900 own USB port.
I hope it helps you to make YOUR decision.

Manuel Dorantes
Phoenix, AZ

#223676 - 01/02/08 07:03 AM Re: back up keyboard
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Mickey,

If I were in your shoes I would opt for another T2. I recently had a problem with an input jack that began prducing some intermitent problems. Having an identically programmed PSR-3000 allowed me to merely switch keyboards and return to work the same day. If you have two different models of the same manufacturer, some things are interchangable, but there are things that are not and will require a significant amount of programming.

The problem would be compounded if you were to have a backup keyboard from a different manufacturer. Nothing could be swapped other than some midi files, and you would be working with an entirely different operating system.

Good luck on whatever you decide upon,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#223677 - 01/02/08 11:09 AM Re: back up keyboard
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Mike

You may want to consider this as the simplest way to go, and that is to get one of those ipod type thingies and record your own regular backing tracks. This way you wouldn't have to shell out the extra bucks for another keyboard, and you could even make it look like you actually were playing if you thought that would make a dif in your performance as compared to looking like you're just singing karaoke style to a recording.

My wife got one for me for Christmas with this in mind.

Or, you could use your laptop for the same purpose along with using it for lyrics and sheet music. Remember the free Virtmus program that is along the same lines as MusicPad Pro.

For you, as you don't use powered speakers, that would be the thing I would give the most consideration, because if your pa head goes with no backup you're dead in the water.

I know you're using Peavey PR15's. Maybe a pair of powered PR12's which are now only 35 lbs along with a Behringer or Alesis mixer would be something to consider. That way even if one speaker would go, you still have one to do the show.

Best
Scott
http://ScottLMusic.com

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 01-02-2008).]

#223678 - 01/02/08 01:24 PM Re: back up keyboard
Dnj Offline

Mikey I love 5 Little Ducks !!!!!!!!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fUqBC9M4R4Y

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-02-2008).]

#223679 - 01/02/08 03:45 PM Re: back up keyboard
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Mikey, I can't remember the last time I needed a backup keyboard or PA system. I do keep everything on my laptop and carry a spare MIDI interface, but that's about it. I sometimes carry two keyboards though and could probably handle a breakdown using just one of them. But if you feel you need a backup, stick with another T2 or something similar to reduce the change-over stress.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online