SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#223534 - 01/05/08 12:17 PM Re: Used new toy for weekeng gig
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Fran, I am surprises you find the G70 overkill for your live jobs...

Personally, my G70 is my go-to rig for ALL calls short of main studio work (and even there it gets the nod for the piano over my K2500). Primarily, I want a one keyboard rig, and only the G70 has the combination of killer piano, Rhodes and B3 (while not as good as an XK-1, it is still the only thing with ALL these sounds THAT good in the one keyboard) plus anything else I need at my fingertips.

Doesn't the B3 in the E60 drive you nuts once you are used to the HB section in the G70..? For me, it's well worth the extra 15 lb. or so...

#223535 - 01/05/08 01:33 PM Re: Used new toy for weekeng gig
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Diki, when I say overkill..I basically mean I don't use any of the great tools with the band..

Now , my solo work..the G70 is a must for me..

I don't know what I will miss from the G70 when I play the E-60..I haven't played or seen one yet..

Given that the E-60 is similar I think it will work out for my band gigs and maybe the 1 hour in and out gigs..

BTW: I think the guitars are more than adequate on the G70..

And I think the VK organ section is far better than any arranger organ to date..I also got a chance to spend more time with the Nord...and I wouldn't give up the G70 organ for the Nord organ...The nord Leslie is it's strength, but over all I will keep the G70 organ..

I also like the rotary simulator [insert effect] used with the preset G70 organs..as in the skate organ..

To me the G70 remains the most dominate keyboard on the market...including the workstations too...

#223536 - 01/05/08 01:40 PM Re: Used new toy for weekeng gig
Fran Carango Offline

I forgot to mention, I want the E-60 as my secondary keyboard...a keyboard I will leave at the club [band gig]..Where I do not want to leave the G70..besides I need the G70 with me for my spur of the moment solo jobs..and scheduled gigs too..

#223537 - 01/05/08 01:58 PM Re: Used new toy for weekeng gig
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I think when a so-called 'expert' consistently and without exception, proclaims the keyboard that he or she owns as being overwhelmingly the best in practically every category, you simply have to take what they say with a grain of salt. This is particularly true when their opinions fly in the face of the opinions of 99% of the rest of the industry.

The truth is, with the exception of Yamaha's SA voices (which, IMO sound best on factory demos and/or when played alone - I have yet to hear a Synthzoner submit a tune using, let's say, a SA sax, that would fool me into thinking that a real sax was used), few, if any, arrangers can compete with high-end synths or dedicated instruments such as the Nord or Hammond organs. Anyone who tells you differently is, frankly, "full of it". If you want legitimate, unbiased, musical advice, start by getting it from legitimate musicians instead of 'blowhards'.

chas

#223538 - 01/05/08 02:27 PM Re: Used new toy for weekeng gig
Fran Carango Offline

Speaking of blowhards...How are you doing Chas?

#223539 - 01/05/08 02:40 PM Re: Used new toy for weekeng gig
cgiles Offline

Not bad, Fran. How about you?

Lovingly,

chas

#223540 - 01/05/08 03:03 PM Re: Used new toy for weekeng gig
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Chas, don't start the year off with stuff like that - it's unnecessary and rude. All you are doing ruffling feathers and getting people up for a pissing contest. It's been nice and quiet around here lately; don't go down that road.

And Fran, be nice too. No need to reply and fan the flames.

#223541 - 01/05/08 05:09 PM Re: Used new toy for weekeng gig
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
chas... would you settle for some of us just claiming the G70 superior in at least a FEW categories?

For me, drums, first and foremost. Without those kickin', you're lost. Secondly, a great acoustic piano. Maybe it's because I was trained first on one of those, or that it is the most important keyboard on the planet, but that has to be the best, most expressive sound on the arranger (bar the drums!). Lastly, the B3. It's the meat to my potatoes. It's the rock to my roll, you get the picture.

To find ONE keyboard with ALL these sounds at arguably the best in ANY arranger (short of VSTi arrangers - not quite ready for primetime, IMO), my contention is you choices are limited. Deal with the hassles of multi keyboard rigs, and the sky's the limit, but tell me, if you wanted ALL my priorities in one arranger, what ELSE could you chose...?

Maybe this makes me a blowhard, maybe not. But some of us share at least SOME of Fran's opinions, if not all. Let's just try to make 2008 the year of at least moderate SZ civility, and not try to escalate this, shall we.... ? ? ?

#223542 - 01/05/08 05:11 PM Re: Used new toy for weekeng gig
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
Chas, don't start the year off with stuff like that - it's unnecessary and rude. All you are doing ruffling feathers and getting people up for a pissing contest. It's been nice and quiet around here lately; don't go down that road.

And Fran, be nice too. No need to reply and fan the flames.

Cass, with all due respect, the primary goal of a board such as this should be to accurately inform. When someone is constantly pushing bulls..t under the guise of expertise, yeah, I'm likely to respond. If you disagree with some or all of the points in my post, then present a dissenting argument, not a lecture. These are big boys and don't need your protection. If they choose to put out misinformation because of their own personal biases, then they should expect to hear a rebuttal. You have your take on it, that's mine.

chas

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online