For the type of music I play, I really like the patches of my XP-30. Like most of us, during a live concert I need to change the “set of patches” between the songs and also during the song. XP has 10 buttons to access the tones using the “patch categories”. While it is possible to pick one of categories (say Brass) using a single button I have to scroll through the entire list before I can find a specific Tenor Sax that I want to use Live. But if I switched to another instrument (Patch) and came back to the “Brass category” then I have to re-scroll for that Tenor Sax. Sometimes I do not have time between the phrases to do that. (On cheaper keyboards I can assign the tones to generic patch recall buttons, put a sticky next to it and use it. But I need the sound of bigger boys.)

I believe there exists keyboards that might help but before I go and buy another Keyboard I want to know if all this is even possible (on a single Keyboard.)

Q. 1 A TouchScreen (Like Korg PA1x) or one-Touch-Recall (Like PSRs) where at any given point of time I can have a predefined set of patches displayed (At least 6). And I should be able to retrieve each with a single “touch”. ( I do not want to navigate through three four screens to get a patch that I want. I have seen PA1X. screen. IIRC I could only see maybe 3 or 4 recent patches. I think.)?

Q 2. Can I quickly load the next set of (list of) patches “on the display” for the next song?

So far I have tried the following:

1. Create blank MIDI templates for each song that I want the patches for. Put each instrument on its own track. (Use the correct instrument definition and the patch)

2. I created a dummy loop in the sequencer so that it fires the Patch change every few seconds.

3. Connect the keyboard. to the PC sequencer (MIDI).

4. I start with all the tracks muted and only one track in SOLO mode (on my Sequencer). The patch change for that track are sent to the XP and I get the desired Patch.

5. When I want a new patch I need to 1) Mute the existing Track 2) Un-mute the next track 3) SOLO the next track.

PROs: I do not have to remember/punch in the exact bank atch location once I save them in the sequencer.

Cons: On step 5 I have to do three things to achieve what I want. (Not good. I might use a touch screen Monitor, but still not a acceptable solution)
Every time the Patch change request comes to the keyboard the tone generator gets a hick-up and you will have to remove your finger to listen to the note again. (Again not good.)
You want the patch change to appear immediately so you want a tighter/shorter LOOP. That means a more intense burst of patch change command, That means a continuous locking of the tone generator. That means I am screwed

I also tried to see if I can create a 16 Track Patch template (MIDI) for each song and then play it once in the beginning of the song (Like a sysex), so I get those 16 tones assigned to 16 tracks in one shot. However on my XP-30, in “performance mode” I can NOT get a single key access for each channel/Part/Track I still need to scroll back and forth to pick a track. (Say to go from patch on track 1 to track 6, I have to hit the key 5 times)

Splitting the keyboard has not really worked that well either. (You can get max two three tones, but then you have fewer octaves to play with)

Bottom Line: Is there a software program where I can create “n” number of button.
Assign each button a name that I want
Associate it to a Bank and Patch name that it can send out via MIDI.
Then using a Touch screen when I click/touch it should send the MIDI program change to the keyboard and recall that patch instantaneously. Something like a custom version of Edirol librarian that came with my XP.

Any Ideas? Am I too ambitious? Do I have to create my own product