SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#223165 - 12/22/07 02:04 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I gave the word "cheap" a second look, then decided inexpensive compared to Wersi was the intent. It sure doesn't sound cheap, is right.

I have a Muse Receptor for sale with Colossus,Kontakt2,B4'2 etc, rammed to the max, and a heck of a deal. Why ? Unlike Diki, I don't deal with software everyday, and I simply don't know how to get those great sounds from the libraries. I can pull up any kind of sampled instrument you can think of, but articulation is something else again

It would take me too long to get the sounds playable. Then, add the fact that, as Diki said, there is an awful lot more to deal with that an arranger can easily do. I have been playing arrangers since they first came out, and I am too old to switch now. I guess I was trying to make a silk purse out of a cows ear.

#223166 - 12/22/07 03:21 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Yeah, sorry... 'cheap' was only used as a comparison to the Wersi's inflated price. I never used it in context to the sounds...

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

#223167 - 12/22/07 04:42 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
When Wersi introduced the OAS instruments at Frankfurt, the Roland engineers were all over them, also Yamaha now own Steinberg, (The originators of the VST protocol) so out of the big 3, these 2 are the most likely candidates. Also since Steinberg started in 1984, there have always been close links with Wersi, (The first computer sequencer from Steinberg was identical to the Wersi computer sequencer launched in 1984) and up to OAS 6, Cubasis and Wavelab were included as standard on Wersi Instruments.
It is also no accident that Yamaha styles are now directly playable on a Wersi through the OAA (Open Art Arranger) software.
Either way, the future is open.

Bill

#223168 - 12/22/07 05:14 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Either way, the future is open.

No doubt, Bill. But the present seems closed.

As intimate with VSTi's as Yamaha are (some of their newer keyboards operate as a VSTi in a computer environment, but are still 'closed' in themselves), you can probably come to the conclusion that they won't make an 'open' or all software arranger until it IS possible to be better than the 'closed' ones they currently make. Something that Wersi haven't grasped, I think.

'Open' for 'open's' sake is a very expensive idea. Until 'open' is superior across the board to 'closed', it remains a rich man's toy. The truth is, most of the 'open' music making going on (and, as I've said, I use it all the time in the studio) is being done on relatively inexpensive computers, in a non-realtime environment. At it's best, it is amazing. But not quite ready for realtime and portable hardware and the demands of arranger players, probably the most versatile, drop-of-a-hat players out there.

As a studio tool, it is without question superior. But as a live performance arranger, it remains just a hair or two short of being better than 'closed' systems. That will change in the future. But how long it takes may rest with the majors, who seem the only ones with deep enough pockets to voice and style it to the next level.

I believe it IS no coincidence that Wersi will play Yamaha styles, and MS try to pirate their sounds (or at least condone it)... Until the promise of 'open' becomes a reality, this is how these instruments try to sound better, and be more popular....

By copying a 'closed' one, NOT being vastly better.

#223169 - 12/27/07 06:05 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Bernie,
sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, but just got home last night from our Xmas vacation. Nice to be home.

Haven't actually midied the sd2 to my PA800 as yet. The PA800 has rather good controller functions from what I've read.
I tried using my PSR1500 as a controller with the sd2, wasn't satisfactory because of lack of buttons on the sd2. Really only designed for use with a pc or a controller keyboard, as you're well aware.

Hubby put airconditioning in for me for xmas, in the upstairs mezzanine, so I now have an all year round , useable music room. All me keyboards & stuff in the one spot. (yippee.)

That's great news that the PA800 is so easy to set up.
I have been planning on experimenting with the midi functions and trying it with the psr & sd1 keyboards . I don't see why it shouldn't work just as well with other types of soundmodules and keyboards ( if set to soundmodule mode.)

You could probably even use it to control your technics ie PA800 melody sounds , kn7 style backing.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bernie9:
[B]Rikki
You are the only one I know of to have both, but for all I know, it may apply to any modern keyboard.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#223170 - 12/28/07 02:01 AM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
Bernie9 Offline

Hi Rikki
I hope you had a nice vacation, but glad to have you back on the forum. I am sure you're right about the KN7000, but the size would make it a bit unwieldy for performance. I am in the process of converting some of my best custom Technics styles to Pa800 and they sound better than on the KN7000.

Since you are a better technician than I, it will be interesting to hear what you come up with.

Bernie

#223171 - 12/28/07 01:08 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Bernie,
nice catching up with everyone, great to be back home though.
For performance purposes, a second keyboard midied up, could be a bit awkward. Easier having little soundmodules. haahaa

How are you going with your conversions, are you using EMC ?? or are you using a midi to style method.
I've run a couple of the earlier Technics styles (KN3/KN5) thru EMC just as an experiment, & I was surprised that they actually converted pretty well to the PA1X format. I've found Technics quite often don't convert too well to other brands of keyboards.
Be great if eventually EMC Styleworks XT writes to PA800/PA2X format instead of just being able to read it.

That's great that your custom styles are sounding better on your PA800 than on your Technics.

I'm currently trying to work out the best method for converting some of my PSR styles.
I think I may be stuck with midi to style
method , ( or a combination of EMC plus Midi to style) as EMC seems to be messing up some of the drum tracks on conversion.

If I can be of any assistance, let me know.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Bernie9:
Hi Rikki
I hope you had a nice vacation, but glad to have you back on the forum. I am sure you're right about the KN7000, but the size would make it a bit unwieldy for performance. I am in the process of converting some of my best custom Technics styles to Pa800 and they sound better than on the KN7000.

Bernie

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#223172 - 12/28/07 02:30 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
Bernie9 Offline

Hi Rikki
I am judging by the demo version of EMC XLT Style Works. Since it only converts Var 1, I trusted that the full style will give me the same results. I ordered the full Korg version today.

If didn't have several hundred top grade custom styles, it wouldn't be worth it. In this case it is. Some are song specific, some not. In any case, between the SD2 and converted styles, the PA800 will be rocking.

Bernie

#223173 - 12/28/07 04:34 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Bernie,
I received my Styleworks XT upgrade yesterday. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet. I've had the Universal version for a few years now, mainly because at times I've had more than the 1 keyboard.
I noticed the new XT version has some additional editing functions that weren't available on the old Styleworks 2000 version, (unless one paid extra for the Plus package to be activated.)
I always found the event list function
(in the Plus package) handy, just for minor aleration to the style, instead of having to export the style to a sequencer.
I think these functions are now standard in the XT versions, which is great.

Happy converting.
best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bernie9:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#223174 - 12/29/07 01:57 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
Bernie9 Offline

Hi Rikki
I see that there is a lot it can do. Since this is the first time with this program, I am just converting. I unchecked the SET box, but don't understand the style position.

Oh well, it works fine as it is; just hunting and pecking for my best styles.

Bernie

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online