SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#223155 - 12/22/07 07:08 AM PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Rikki
You are the only one I know of to have both, but for all I know, it may apply to any modern keyboard. I told Captain Russ I would see how my remaining SD2 module worked with my PA-800 before selling it to him. What I found out boggled my mind.

First of all, I don't use midi with style playing because I don't know enough about CC messages. My KN7000 has very extensive midi implemention, but is confusing to configure(to me). However, I hooked it up to my PA800 and I was on my way in twenty minutes after reading Korg's very concise instructions.

All I had to do was allow CC messages, stay on default ch 1,and block messages from accomp. The amazing thing to me is that by choosing a "Performance" on the PA800, it automatically changed to that family of sounds on the SD2. From there I can go into the different instruments in that family on the SD2. From there I go to the different sounds, and the corresponding sounds will be selected on the SD2.

With Local On, I can easily make luscious combi's with the balance slider on the PA800, and the volume slider on the SD2. The best part is I can save the whole thing as a new registration, name it, and put it in my Songbook as if the SD2 wasn't attached.

Wheras the PA800 has great sounds, I, in effect ,have at least doubled my sonic palette, and believe me, the SD2 has some of the best sax,organs, trumpets, and woodwinds out there.

Sorry for going on, but the possibilities are simply overwhelming.

Bernie
ps
Sorry Russ, I have to keep the SD2 now.

#223156 - 12/22/07 07:55 AM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
Dnj Offline

Bernie great new....
glad to hear you enjoying your PA800 & additional module accesories etc ....sounds like your having a ball!

#223157 - 12/22/07 08:48 AM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Bernie
Fantastic news, however:
If you had got yourself a Wersi, you would have had those capabilities (And more) years ago.
You also wouldn’t have to worry about muting the acc midi, as the Wersi has independent Midi control sections for Manuals, Sequencer and Acc, on each Midi out.
BTW The SD2 is a very popular add on with Wersi owners too. (It must be one of the best value modules out there)
Merry Christmas to all

Bill

#223158 - 12/22/07 08:57 AM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
Bernie9 Online   content

Hi Bill
I know, but that is in a different league, and a little less portable. This is not meant to diminish the many attributes of this fine instrument, however. I'll have to struggle along with a poor man's instrument.

Have a happy one yourself
Bernie

#223159 - 12/22/07 10:42 AM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Curious as to why anyone with a $10K+ Wersi would add a cheap Ketron module... You would think for that price (and all of Bill's praise of it and it's so-called 'openness') that it ought not to need help from a very inexpensive module.

That's the thing about 'openness'... It's only as 'open' as third party developers make it. And given how a Ketron module is probably used by FAR more Wersi users than say, East/West's Colossus, or any of the huge GIGA orchestral libraries, one has to ask whether the ability to be 'open' is anywhere NEAR as important as just a good MIDI external gear implementation is. Despite how much the OAS adds to the cost and complexity of the Wersi's.

The fact is, for anyone other than the top studio professional, there are several modules out there with close to GIGA quality sounds that require NO VSTi playback capabilities, and can be used by anyone with a low or mid-line arranger to enhance their sonic palate to exceptional live standards. And at considerable less cost and complexity, and with immediacy (the time loading different VSTi's for different songs is still a live buzzkill).

And sorry, Bill, but until I hear a bunch of demos from Wersi that annihilate the T2, PA2 and E80 for realism, I just have to continue believing that even the makers themselves, yet alone us mere mortals, don't know how to turn 'openness' into 'superiority'. It's not enough to stick a GIGA grand or B4mkII onto a so-so backing. For 'openness' to really arrive, EVERY sound coming from the arranger has to be TOTL GIGA quality. Every sound, every style written for them, top to bottom.

The fact that Wersi users are fond of a cheap Ketron module proves this is not yet the case, IMO. Don't get me wrong... I am DYING for the day when 'open' keyboards actually deliver on their promise. I use VSTi's extensively for studio work, and would LOVE that they all could go with me live. But I would want EVERY sound in an arranger to be that good, and the setup and operation to be as easy as a ROMpler arranger is now. Which is sadly not the case, yet.

In the meantime, modules (that require no VSTi setup and computer hardware) are coming out with MASSIVE ROM sets (Sonic Cell, anyone?) and sounds that, for live and even quite a bit of pro work, are quite superb. And need nothing more than a MIDI cable and a decent external MIDI implementation. Sadly, for right now, these make both musical AND economical sense.

#223160 - 12/22/07 11:16 AM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Hi Diki,
Have you checked out the Muse Receptor? It enables full on live access and playing of all your VST's.
Dennis

#223161 - 12/22/07 11:45 AM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
abacus Offline

HI Diki
As far as I am aware there are no VSTs or sample discs with Ketron sounds, so the only way to get them is to use a Ketron. (Unless you know of any software)
BTW Have a listen to an SD2 and you will find the sounds are up there with medium to TOTL arrangers.
Enjoy whatever you play

Bill

#223162 - 12/22/07 12:03 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
Diki Offline

Yes, I've tried one (a Muse). Basically, it all boils down to the fact that they aren't capable of holding EVERY sound in memory at the same time for an entire arranger's sonic palate. Streaming off a drive is questionable for live, with durability and vibrational problems, and compared to TOTL computers (which some of the TOTL orchestral libraries require two or more just for THOSE sounds!), they are a little underpowered.

Add to that that arranger use (with some VERY complicated MIDI code tricks for dealing with 'late' chord entry) doesn't work well yet. Until those tricks are part of the sound engines of the sample players (and given the small size of the potential market, players like Kontakt may NEVER add those codes), playing an arranger's output into one of these as an engine will sound terrible, compared to the optimized engines in hardware arrangers.

While it SEEMS, from marketing hype and spec charts, that the 'open' things like NeKo, Muse, Wersi and MS OUGHT to be able to do an entire arranger in GIGA, the fact is, they can't. The external stuff like NeKo and Muse don't have the codes for smooth voice pitch changing (to deal with the 'glitches' of fractionally late chord entry), and the 'open' arrangers have neither the horsepower, nor the integrated soundsets and styles to do the entire thing at GIGA quality. All of the 'open' arrangers use primarily ROM sounds for the styles, or suffer from limited resources to develop as good a soundset in GIGA as the Big 3 can deliver in ROM.

There's an awful lot more to an arranger than simply adding high quality lead voices to a noticeably sub-par ROM set. Once your piano, or whatever you lead with, is THAT good, you want EVERYTHING at that quality. On ALL the styles, on ALL the sounds, and you need it INSTANTLY (that is the whole point of an arranger... you never know what you need until you need it, and Lord help you if it takes too long to load!

So far, and believe me, I've listened to every VSTi and soundset that ever comes out, there is nothing available that will run on one computer that has ALL of the sounds from a ROM TOTL arranger, at GIGA quality, and instantly available, all balanced and coherent, and has hundreds of inspiring styles already written for it.

THAT is what an E80/G70 PA2X or a T2 has... The combination of huge soundset, and styles written specifically for it, along with a playback engine that will handle 128 voices without a trace of latency or glitches, and the ability to 'bend' late chord entry notes to the new 'correct' ones with the minimum of artifacts. But primarily, it's that combination of vast variety of sounds, and a library of styles developed specifically for it.

Until an 'open' arranger goes to the expense of either developing as good a selection of sounds at MUCH higher GIGA-like quality, or licensing one from various developers, and then making hundreds upon hundreds of styles specifically for that soundset, they are always going to lag behind, while always touting their 'openness' as a leading feature. First and foremost, we want an ARRANGER. THEN, we want great lead sounds. Until technology leaps further ahead, or maybe a Big 3 company, with it's greater resources for soundset and style development, jumps into the fray, what we have with 'open' arrangers is the other way round... Great lead sounds (no argument there!), but with flawed arranger soundsets.

Sadly, none of the Big 3 have ANY streaming technology products, so we may have quite a wait... Perhaps the new FLASH based computer technology just around the corner (laptops with solid-state hard drives are coming soon!) may make this possible, but I still see maybe five to ten years before this trickles down to arranger players. In the meantime, MS and Wersi will continue to crow about technical innovations, that right now don't appear to make it to SONIC innovations. When that day comes, I'll be dancing in the streets (and ordering one!)

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 12-22-2007).]

#223163 - 12/22/07 01:04 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
No problem at all, Bernie. Glad things are working for you!

R.

#223164 - 12/22/07 01:17 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Here someone is excited about is arranger keyboard and module. Good thread started.

But Diki says "who would add a cheap Ketron module.." . I really dislike opinions like this. Kills the thread if you ask me. So, please keep your opinions about products out of the post. I have been involved with Ketron for a long time and have recorded with Ketron products , my recordings don't sound cheap.

Dan O'

#223165 - 12/22/07 02:04 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
Bernie9 Online   content

I gave the word "cheap" a second look, then decided inexpensive compared to Wersi was the intent. It sure doesn't sound cheap, is right.

I have a Muse Receptor for sale with Colossus,Kontakt2,B4'2 etc, rammed to the max, and a heck of a deal. Why ? Unlike Diki, I don't deal with software everyday, and I simply don't know how to get those great sounds from the libraries. I can pull up any kind of sampled instrument you can think of, but articulation is something else again

It would take me too long to get the sounds playable. Then, add the fact that, as Diki said, there is an awful lot more to deal with that an arranger can easily do. I have been playing arrangers since they first came out, and I am too old to switch now. I guess I was trying to make a silk purse out of a cows ear.

#223166 - 12/22/07 03:21 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
Diki Offline

Yeah, sorry... 'cheap' was only used as a comparison to the Wersi's inflated price. I never used it in context to the sounds...

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

#223167 - 12/22/07 04:42 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
abacus Offline

When Wersi introduced the OAS instruments at Frankfurt, the Roland engineers were all over them, also Yamaha now own Steinberg, (The originators of the VST protocol) so out of the big 3, these 2 are the most likely candidates. Also since Steinberg started in 1984, there have always been close links with Wersi, (The first computer sequencer from Steinberg was identical to the Wersi computer sequencer launched in 1984) and up to OAS 6, Cubasis and Wavelab were included as standard on Wersi Instruments.
It is also no accident that Yamaha styles are now directly playable on a Wersi through the OAA (Open Art Arranger) software.
Either way, the future is open.

Bill

#223168 - 12/22/07 05:14 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Either way, the future is open.

No doubt, Bill. But the present seems closed.

As intimate with VSTi's as Yamaha are (some of their newer keyboards operate as a VSTi in a computer environment, but are still 'closed' in themselves), you can probably come to the conclusion that they won't make an 'open' or all software arranger until it IS possible to be better than the 'closed' ones they currently make. Something that Wersi haven't grasped, I think.

'Open' for 'open's' sake is a very expensive idea. Until 'open' is superior across the board to 'closed', it remains a rich man's toy. The truth is, most of the 'open' music making going on (and, as I've said, I use it all the time in the studio) is being done on relatively inexpensive computers, in a non-realtime environment. At it's best, it is amazing. But not quite ready for realtime and portable hardware and the demands of arranger players, probably the most versatile, drop-of-a-hat players out there.

As a studio tool, it is without question superior. But as a live performance arranger, it remains just a hair or two short of being better than 'closed' systems. That will change in the future. But how long it takes may rest with the majors, who seem the only ones with deep enough pockets to voice and style it to the next level.

I believe it IS no coincidence that Wersi will play Yamaha styles, and MS try to pirate their sounds (or at least condone it)... Until the promise of 'open' becomes a reality, this is how these instruments try to sound better, and be more popular....

By copying a 'closed' one, NOT being vastly better.

#223169 - 12/27/07 06:05 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Bernie,
sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, but just got home last night from our Xmas vacation. Nice to be home.

Haven't actually midied the sd2 to my PA800 as yet. The PA800 has rather good controller functions from what I've read.
I tried using my PSR1500 as a controller with the sd2, wasn't satisfactory because of lack of buttons on the sd2. Really only designed for use with a pc or a controller keyboard, as you're well aware.

Hubby put airconditioning in for me for xmas, in the upstairs mezzanine, so I now have an all year round , useable music room. All me keyboards & stuff in the one spot. (yippee.)

That's great news that the PA800 is so easy to set up.
I have been planning on experimenting with the midi functions and trying it with the psr & sd1 keyboards . I don't see why it shouldn't work just as well with other types of soundmodules and keyboards ( if set to soundmodule mode.)

You could probably even use it to control your technics ie PA800 melody sounds , kn7 style backing.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bernie9:
[B]Rikki
You are the only one I know of to have both, but for all I know, it may apply to any modern keyboard.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#223170 - 12/28/07 02:01 AM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
Bernie9 Online   content

Hi Rikki
I hope you had a nice vacation, but glad to have you back on the forum. I am sure you're right about the KN7000, but the size would make it a bit unwieldy for performance. I am in the process of converting some of my best custom Technics styles to Pa800 and they sound better than on the KN7000.

Since you are a better technician than I, it will be interesting to hear what you come up with.

Bernie

#223171 - 12/28/07 01:08 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Bernie,
nice catching up with everyone, great to be back home though.
For performance purposes, a second keyboard midied up, could be a bit awkward. Easier having little soundmodules. haahaa

How are you going with your conversions, are you using EMC ?? or are you using a midi to style method.
I've run a couple of the earlier Technics styles (KN3/KN5) thru EMC just as an experiment, & I was surprised that they actually converted pretty well to the PA1X format. I've found Technics quite often don't convert too well to other brands of keyboards.
Be great if eventually EMC Styleworks XT writes to PA800/PA2X format instead of just being able to read it.

That's great that your custom styles are sounding better on your PA800 than on your Technics.

I'm currently trying to work out the best method for converting some of my PSR styles.
I think I may be stuck with midi to style
method , ( or a combination of EMC plus Midi to style) as EMC seems to be messing up some of the drum tracks on conversion.

If I can be of any assistance, let me know.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Bernie9:
Hi Rikki
I hope you had a nice vacation, but glad to have you back on the forum. I am sure you're right about the KN7000, but the size would make it a bit unwieldy for performance. I am in the process of converting some of my best custom Technics styles to Pa800 and they sound better than on the KN7000.

Bernie

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#223172 - 12/28/07 02:30 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
Bernie9 Online   content

Hi Rikki
I am judging by the demo version of EMC XLT Style Works. Since it only converts Var 1, I trusted that the full style will give me the same results. I ordered the full Korg version today.

If didn't have several hundred top grade custom styles, it wouldn't be worth it. In this case it is. Some are song specific, some not. In any case, between the SD2 and converted styles, the PA800 will be rocking.

Bernie

#223173 - 12/28/07 04:34 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Bernie,
I received my Styleworks XT upgrade yesterday. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet. I've had the Universal version for a few years now, mainly because at times I've had more than the 1 keyboard.
I noticed the new XT version has some additional editing functions that weren't available on the old Styleworks 2000 version, (unless one paid extra for the Plus package to be activated.)
I always found the event list function
(in the Plus package) handy, just for minor aleration to the style, instead of having to export the style to a sequencer.
I think these functions are now standard in the XT versions, which is great.

Happy converting.
best wishes
Rikki
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#223174 - 12/29/07 01:57 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
Bernie9 Online   content

Hi Rikki
I see that there is a lot it can do. Since this is the first time with this program, I am just converting. I unchecked the SET box, but don't understand the style position.

Oh well, it works fine as it is; just hunting and pecking for my best styles.

Bernie

#223175 - 01/10/08 04:50 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Bernie,
don't know if it's of any interest to you,
but I did an article for the Create A Song forum on options of using the 2 together.
( Some step by step examples also)
You use the harmonizer?? if so, you'd want the SD2 sound going to your sound system rather than using the inputs on your PA800
like my setup.

You'll be surprised at how good a controller the PA800 actually is, gives you the option of all 4 L&R melody voices played either
internally by PA800, ( you choose sounds via the sound buttons)
externally by SD2 only, ( you use bank & program change messages just like controller keyboard) and it gets saved to sts's.
or a combination of both ( you again choose sounds via the sound buttons but sd2 & PA800 will both layer a similar sound.)

You can even have the sd2 play style parts which may come in handy should I decide to convert some of my SD1 styles across to PA800.
http://www.createsongstyles.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=104&Itemid=34

I tried the setup last night with my SD1+.
Sounded sensational.
Hate to say it, but for melody voices, to my ears, the SD1+ sounds better than the PA800. The sounds are fuller.
Fortunately I'm only using it at home , so now I have the best of both worlds.
I think they'll be permanently midied together.
Now all I have to do is find a way of adding the psr1500.hmmm Who says you can only play one keyboard at a time haahaa.

best wishes
Rikki

[B]Rikki
You are the only one I know of to have both, but for all I know, it may apply to any modern keyboard.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#223176 - 01/10/08 05:10 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Hi Bernie,
don't know if it's of any interest to you,
but I did an article for the Create A Song forum on options of using the 2 together.

http://www.createsongstyles.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=104&Itemid=34

best wishes
Rikki

Bernie, I tried Rikki's set of instructions, she's done a great job with them. Very simple to understand and got me to the point I needed to be at to use the SD2.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 01-10-2008).]

#223177 - 01/10/08 07:27 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Rikki, I am surprised....no I am shocked that you can play more than one keyboard at a time. I guess I must eat my words!!!!

Now with this new midi approach, Rikki can just keep buying keyboards ..... there is just no end to this.

#223178 - 01/11/08 06:44 AM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
Bernie9 Online   content

Thank you both for link. I rather knew I was just scratching the surface. I will dig into it.
Bernie

#223179 - 01/11/08 08:01 AM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
Bernie9 Online   content

I went through Rikki's tutorial and I think it is great that one can direct the midi to call up the exact instrument from the SD2 tables. I am sure one can make some killer programs. Don't forget the line in gain adjustment on the PA-800, if it it set to the lowest setting. You may want to increase it and handle the balance with the SD2 slider, as well as the PA800 balance slider.

However, for quick changes in performance, I find that, as a rule, the PA800 automatically calls up a like instrument and will bolster the PA800 sufficiently, as I originally reported.

Thank you Rikki for showing us a way to obtain the exact sound from the SD2 . That part was a mystery. Good work.
Bernie

#223180 - 01/12/08 11:48 AM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
I found the same to be true with my Sonic Cell and Tyros combo. I can layer the Tyros' R1, R2, R3, and Left voices with the Sonic Cells sounds of the same category (bank) in Performance Mode and of course choose specific sounds from other banks, whether GM, Preset, or SRX expansion cards if preferred. I can also turn off local control for R1 on the Tyros and play just the Sonic Cell sound in Patch Mode (part 1) and then layer R2, R3, and Left voices of the Tyros to create rich layered sounds combining both the Sonic Cell and Tyros' sounds together. The Master volumes of each can be adjusted to give you that perfect blend of sounds from each one and there is also the volume adjustment of each of the individual tracks that can be adjusted as well of course. There is also the option to route specific parts out through either the Main Outs or Sub1/Sub2 outs of the Tyros and the possibilities expand even further with the other set of Tyros MIDI In/MIDI Out ports.

I can do the same with the Style parts and the Tyros' Multi-Pads too. Also, when playing a 'song' through the Tyros the sounds are played back through the Sonic Cell in Perfomance Mode and can utilize up to all 16 tracks of the Sonic Cell essentially doubling the effect and also adding additional nuances while at the same time enhancing the songs sonic palette and capability in my opinion.

Here is a song demonstrating the effect. Note: This song has only "10" tracks but I still think you will get the idea.

All Of My Days

Best,
Mike

PS: One for you Aussies!

BTW, I think the Ketron SD2 is a great bang for the buck sound module and also an extremely portable sound solution.

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 01-12-2008).]

#223181 - 01/12/08 03:02 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
Bernie9 Online   content

Mike
It sounds like you have all the bases covered alright. My PA800 can do all except the last paragraph. I read the Sonic Cell is a fine module except for a limited playlist. I think it was Fran that had one and sold it for that reason alone.

My audio on my computer just went out, but will hear your rendition on my laptop later.
Bernie

#223182 - 01/12/08 03:59 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Frank,
don't know about adding more keyboards, the only brand I'm missing currently out of the mainstream ones is a Roland.

Maybe a Roland soundmodule instead haahaa.

Must admit I'd luv to see a Receptor or I suppose i could check into a decent software sample player for melody.(If my laptops up to it.

The PA800 seems to be working out perfectly . The fact that it is able to send out program & bank changes for style & melody parts, & having the option of choosing whether the tracks are played internally, externally or both for any of the parts ( including style parts) is brilliant.

Leads to all sorts of interesting combinations haahaa

best wishes
rikki

p.s.
would you like salt & pepper haahaa
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
[B]Rikki, I am surprised....no I am shocked that you can play more than one keyboard at a time. I guess I must eat my words!!!!

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#223183 - 01/12/08 04:23 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Bernie,
where it possibly may come in handy is for the additional sd2 banks.

I'm not quite sure which sounds you'd be calling up when you choose the PA800 to call up the SD2 sounds, but you may be limiting yourself to just Bank 0.
It's so hard to tell with no display.
For layering pa & sd sounds having the PA choose is ideal.

best wishes
Rikki

[B]I went through Rikki's tutorial and I think it is great that one can direct the midi to call up the exact instrument from the SD2 tables.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#223184 - 01/12/08 04:39 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Mike,
I'm not really familiar with the Sonic Cell,
but I gather it has buttons you can actually push to change voices, banks etc ??
(wheras the sd2 has nothing) or did you get your Tyros to do it all including any specific sounds & banks??

I midied my SD2 to my PSR1500, but for melody, I was only able to choose voices from the default gm 0 bank.( ie the other psr bank changes didn't match the sd2 banks)
For styles (if I wanted the sd2 to play the style tracks) I was able to write the correct bank & program changes into the style itself.
The psr & sd2 combination for melody tracks, wasn't ideal.

Great to hear you've got a good combination going with the Sonic Cell & Tyros.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by keybplayer:
[B]I found the same to be true with my Sonic Cell and Tyros combo. I can layer the Tyros' R1, R2, R3, and Left voices with the Sonic Cells sounds of the same category (bank) in Performance Mode and of course choose specific sounds from other banks, whether GM, Preset, or SRX expansion cards if preferred. I can also turn off local control for R1 on the Tyros and play just the Sonic Cell sound in Patch Mode (part 1) and then layer R2, R3, and Left voices of the Tyros to create rich layered sounds combining both the Sonic Cell and Tyros' sounds together.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#223185 - 01/13/08 08:17 AM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Hi Mike,
I'm not really familiar with the Sonic Cell,
but I gather it has buttons you can actually push to change voices, banks etc ??
(wheras the sd2 has nothing) or did you get your Tyros to do it all including any specific sounds & banks??

Hi Rikki,

Yes, you can change banks within the Sonic Cell itself. The default bank that comes up on the Sonic Cell when changing banks on the Tyros (whether Panel voice banks or GM/GM2 voice banks) is the GM/2 bank. From there you can change banks on the Sonic Cell to either the Preset, User, and/or SRX banks if desired.

It is great that people can find new ways to make their current arranger keyboard even more appealing and boosting its sonic palette and capability in the process. In my case, I guess it gives me another good reason to stave off buying a new totl arranger anytime soon. But if I find a 76 key totl arranger, whether Korg, Yamaha - oops! skip Yamaha apparently , Roland, etc. that can demonstrate to me a justifiable reason to upgrade (besides just the 76 keys ) then I would probably do it. The big question is "IF"..?!?!?

Best,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 01-13-2008).]

#223186 - 01/13/08 04:42 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Mike,
thanks, I was hoping that maybe I'd missed something as far as changing banks using psr as a controller. Just confirms that the sd2 isn't the most suitable module for use with the psr. Really requires a module with buttons where one can change the banks & mute tracks manually.

Fortunately with the korg it works well.

Have to try a korg / psr setup next. Mind boggling.

Probably not worth switching keyboards if you're happy with what you've got & there's not a more ideal one around at the moment.

Have you tried the Sonic Cell for User style parts??
That was my original idea for the SD2. Having a module that could play back converted sd1 to psr styles. Sounds would have been similar, & I would have had the Ketron Live drums playing back almost correctly with just a bit of tweaking required.

Been thinking if maybe a Roland module
(as soundsource)would playback a Roland converted style better than using the internal sounds of whatever keyboard (be it a PSr or a korg etc) that the style's been converted to?

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by keybplayer:
[B] Hi Rikki,

Yes, you can change banks within the Sonic Cell itself. The default bank that comes up on the Sonic Cell when changing banks on the Tyros (whether Panel voice banks or GM/GM2 voice banks) is the GM/2 bank. From there you can change banks on the Sonic Cell to either the Preset, User, and/or SRX banks if desired.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#223187 - 01/13/08 05:32 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
Diki Offline

This thread just emphasizes that, despite the industry's apparent misapprehension that arranger players don't need extensive MIDI control of external gear, nothing could be further from the truth...

Samplers, B3 modules, dedicated analog synths, laptops, ALL of these are being used on a daily basis by us poor, dumb arranger players who apparently know nothing about this MIDI doohicky! Someone needs to let them know that they are short-changing us SERIOUSLY compared to our WS brethren when it comes to making our arrangers the center of a whole system.

At the very least, any arranger (at least mid-line and up) should be able to direct ANY Part, Keyboard Style or SMF to either Internal or External MIDI, and allow ANY kind of MSB, LSB PC# codes, even if the Internals don't need it. You shouldn't have to restrict your choice of externals by whether you can MANUALLY call up the sounds or not... Sheesh! How 20th century!!

#223188 - 01/14/08 04:22 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Diki,
couldn't agree more. If they had this function ( plus good style creation/editing functions) less need to upgrade as often. Add a new sound module instead to give the arranger a better variety or quality sound.

The fact that you can push buttons manually on most sound modules is handy, but I would imagine could be awkward in a live situation?

Luv the way you can actually set the PA800's single touch setting to call up the correct sounds be they, internal or external. The module and keyboard act like one.

My PSR or Ketron doesn't do what the Korg does.

Do the Rolands?
For some reason in the back of my mind I thought that maybe my old G800 had the option of internal or external sounds, but I can't remember if it could send any type of msb, lsb, pc codes.
The bank changes are so important nowadays.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

At the very least, any arranger (at least mid-line and up) should be able to direct ANY Part, Keyboard Style or SMF to either Internal or External MIDI, and allow ANY kind of MSB, LSB PC# codes, even if the Internals don't need it. You shouldn't have to restrict your choice of externals by whether you can MANUALLY call up the sounds or not... Sheesh! How 20th century!!

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#223189 - 01/14/08 07:30 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
Diki Offline

G70 can send any Part (keyboard, Style or SMF) out to MIDI, but it has one serious flaw... From the registration it can only send CC0/32/PC# to the Style or SMF Parts. There is no way to program the Keyboard Parts to send any CC00/32/PC# directly from the Tone selection buttons.

There IS a workaround, where you program a sequence to send out the codes for you, but it lacks the immediacy of being able to call up an external sound from the front panel. MAYBE Roland will address this (pun intended!), but just lately I have the impression that the arranger R&D guys are asleep at the wheel when it comes to using their arrangers with ANY other gear, whether modules or even a computer sequencer.

The old G1000 was 200% better at talking to a computer sequencer, although no better at addressing external gear from the front panel...

But at least it CAN be done on the G70/E80/60/50, if only by preparing things in advance...

#223190 - 01/14/08 07:36 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
YEARS ago, the Yamaha PSR6100 could send any and every part out via midi. I don't know when they stopped doing this.
DonM

#223191 - 01/14/08 08:03 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
Diki Offline

Maybe Rikki hit the nail on the head... If the manufacturers make it easy to address external gear, we won't be in as much of a rush when it comes to upgrading to another arranger, and simply use modules to obtain more cutting edge sounds, if not OS features.

Hold on... I'm starting to sound like Donny

Maybe it's just that not enough of us complain about this issue to our dealers and reps, and moan enough about it here..! They sure added mp3 playback in a hurry after we all started asking for it...

Maybe it is in OUR hands...

#223192 - 01/15/08 12:39 AM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Diki
not sure if the PA800 can either, though I must admit I haven't checked into it.
I've still got a lot to learn.

I was just happy that I was able to call up the external sounds for melody parts for a style as a sts's (single touch setting) which may be the equivalent of Rolands registrations??
and is the equivalent of the PSR's OTS function.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Diki:
[B] There is no way to program the Keyboard Parts to send any CC00/32/PC# directly from the Tone selection buttons.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#223193 - 01/15/08 12:55 AM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Don,
PSR's still do send out the parts via midi.
The problem is, there doesn't seem to be any way of programming in your own bank & program changes for the melody parts when playing styles.
I actually managed to convert a couple of the sd1 styles across to psr format ( had to do via midi to style method to keep the sd1 Live drums intact)
ie the psr played the style data , the sd2 supplied all the style track sounds including the Live Drum sounds.
Only reason it worked was because I was able to put the correct bank & program changes into the style tracks.

For the melody tracks I was pretty much stuck with just using the default gm bank.
I couldn't access the higher banks.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
YEARS ago, the Yamaha PSR6100 could send any and every part out via midi. I don't know when they stopped doing this.
DonM

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#223194 - 01/15/08 07:48 AM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Thanks Rikki, I thought I remember that ability. It's not of that much interest to me anyway. Just thought it might be something that was being overlooked.
DonM

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online