SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#223061 - 12/20/07 11:58 AM Chas and Diki...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Would you guys do me the honor and listen to the rough Don posted for me (see below)? Not looking for compliments at all, but a real honest evaluation of not only the musicianship and writing, but the type of work.

I'm on the fence as far as the validity of this type of work. As a stand-alone music project, I wouldn't bother, but I can live with it, warts and all, given that it is a small part of a bigger project (the DVD production).

Just curious about your individual opinions, which I will respect, regardless of the nature of the comments (don't have to "play nice").

Thanks, and have a great holiday!

Russ

#223062 - 12/20/07 12:32 PM Re: Chas and Diki...
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
So Russ is this an arranger? A Style or all you? If it is all you can you tell me a little about the process, I mean do you lay down a drum track or a bass or chords.
You know what comes first the chicken or the egg? You don't need to go into great detail I'm just a little curious about the process. Do you play the drums on the keyboard?

#223063 - 12/20/07 12:52 PM Re: Chas and Diki...
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Happy to, Russ. I need to grab it off my "net" computer and put it on my studio computer so I can hear it on some good nearfields. Get back to ya'.

chas

BTW, the fact that the likes of Ray Brown would take you under his wing leaves little doubt about your musicianship.

#223064 - 12/20/07 12:52 PM Re: Chas and Diki...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Mike, in case you missed it, there's more info here: http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/016661.html
DonM

#223065 - 12/20/07 01:07 PM Re: Chas and Diki...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Mike, no arranger involved. It's been a year, so I have to try to remember the process on this particular rough. Use anything laying around for the rough. It was an Alesis drum machine and a keyboard controller, with an old Yamaha tone generator. thwe piano was an old Yamaha Clavinova CPV 65. Organ was a Hammond XB-2 (ancient stuff). Used either a Yamaha 4-track or a small Tascam. Always lay down the drum track with the bassline first and multi-track 2nd. Entire process for a 5 minute piece (which is then louped, for a demo to the client) is a couple of hours. My son, who is the audio guy and IT guy for my company, in addition to being a passable bass player chooses the recording equipment, engineers and mixes and I just play. The final is done with all real instruments at a conventional studio owned by a long-time friend. I play keys, percussion, bass, guitar and hire a horn section, drums and sometimes a 2nd guitar player. The hard part of the final is writing and recording the piece in sections so it can be edited to time. Budgets allow us to go "top shelf" on the final.

Hope that helps.

Russ

#223066 - 12/20/07 01:28 PM Re: Chas and Diki...
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Russ,

If I hadn't been informed on how this was put together, I would have surmised it was an arranger background with some (very well done, BTW) piano, organ, brass and guitar improvs over the top.

Still, it's a nice package.

Ian

#223067 - 12/20/07 01:53 PM Re: Chas and Diki...
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Always lay down the drum track with the bassline first and multi-track 2nd.

That was standard procedure for us at the BBC many moons ago. Bass recorded dry, drum heads tuned pretty slack. Worked then, works now. Good stuff, Russ.

#223068 - 12/20/07 03:06 PM Re: Chas and Diki...
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Thanks Russ, so basically you use a drum "pattern" and then build from there one instrument at a time. If I am reading you correctly.
It sounds good and now we know why you have such a positive attitude, to be able to do what you love for a living.
I was interested in the creative process more so than the technical equipment.
You have answered my question and I thank you.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online