SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#222142 - 11/28/07 04:05 AM Working with the Registrations
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Using registrations
when playing live or recording.

My thought, old or new idea?? --- Create a band in the eight registrations. The choice instruments will depend on the style and song. But they will all follow the basic set up below.
Basic set-up:
1-Piano
2-Trumpet
3-Bone
4-Sax Section
5-Clarinet section
6-Solo Sax
7-Brass Section
8-Strong brass section.

Every set of eight registrations will have the same name instruments, but they can vary in type. For #1-Grand Piano or Elec. Piano, Vintage Piano– FOR #2- Silver Trumpet, Jazz Trumpet, Muted Trumped -- whatever is needed in the Band you are creating. The eight registrations compliment the style/song you are playing/recording. You memorize the list of instruments once, they will apply to all future set ups.

Value:
1-Piano – A band normally changes volume, some instruments do not play (parts of the style) and volumes of the instruments may be vary.
2-Trumpet – The band may get a bit stronger and different parts of the style are played or muted.
The questions I ask myself are: How should the band sound when a Piano is playing? How can the band become more exciting as I add the brass? Ect--

You get to customize eight different instruments with adjustments that compliment your song/style. For every part of the band you can select Volume, Effects, Tempo, Key Change and much, much more. The band can be customized to your taste in music.

Creating a set up using a style:
Play the style, select the Piano – then start to make your adjustments until it sounds the way you feel a piano player should sound when playing with a band. You do the same with all eight registrations. You can change keys and tempos. I raise the tempo on #8 registration, Strong Brass, just 1 for more excitement – back to 0 when playing other instruments.
I hate hearing all the instruments play (Style) when I played a solo instrument. Adjusting which instruments which is to play and the volumes and effects. Example: Flutes uses more reverb, a Piano uses less. Each step brings us closer to a real band. In the registrations we can also save an instrument change in the style. Another step towards being real. You’re limited only by your imagination.

Coming from a different make keyboard Yamaha is all new to me so I am open to whatever, I would appreciate your impute. I have heard people say “The sound of a keyboard out-of-the-box is great”, not so with Yamaha. But—Yamaha gives you the options to create and create so that you can hear what you want – The keyboard gets to sound better as you make your positive changes. After making some basic adjustments I was pleasantly surprised at what I heard. It goes from good to great.

I am just starting to work on this idea so I’m open.

John c.

#222143 - 11/28/07 04:43 AM Re: Working with the Registrations
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
John,

I've been using the same method since Yammie have been giving us 8 registrations.

I set it up thusly...(1)Piano (2)Ac.Guitar (3)Saxophone (4)Strings (5)Harmonica (6)Flute (7)Electric Guitar (8) Organ

Each set of eight will have a different type of instrument class depending on the type of music e.g. Piano may be E.Piano, or Piano/Strings...Sax may be SA Tenor or Growl....Harmonica could be replaced by Accordion etc. but they will always be in the same order and type from 1-8.

Certainly keeps confusion at a minimum.

My "dinner music" registrations are quite different than my "party" or "dance" regs, and I always have a set prepared just for demoing.

Nice to see someone else using a similar approach.

Ian

#222144 - 11/28/07 08:01 AM Re: Working with the Registrations
Dnj Offline

I always use ONE Reg = One song what the problem....I love jumping around with split second changes.

#222145 - 11/28/07 11:17 AM Re: Working with the Registrations
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I also feel that a single user program offers me enough variation..My board allows a saved 6 parts[instruments] that can be turned on or off via buttons[no menus]..and the freedom to select new sounds on the fly..ready to play with a single touch of a button..when you are ready..

Same ideas ..just a different concept..

#222146 - 11/28/07 11:33 AM Re: Working with the Registrations
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
It works for YOU ? ....USE IT !!!!! ...
t.

#222147 - 11/28/07 12:41 PM Re: Working with the Registrations
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I actually set up the Yamaha registrations and the Roland performances so that when the Freeze setting is on, all the buttons do is change to my favorite sounds. With the Yamahas, you always have eight at your fingertips. My main bank is set to Piano, Accoustic Guitar, E. Guitar, Steel Guitar, Sax, Growl Sax and Fiddle.
On the G70 I had much the same sounds saved to each set of performances.
I must say the Roland way of doing it is better suited to my needs, but I have no real problem with Yammy either.
I've been doing it this way since the PSR8000. I think I got the idea from Scott Yee years ago.
DonM

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online