SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#221767 - 11/20/07 08:03 PM g70 questions
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I've had my g70 for about a month or so and I have a few questions. I think there are answers at least I hope so.

I'm still looking for a good 4/4 ballad for songs like "After the Loving", "At Last" and so on. I'm tired of these brush ballads that come stock on the g70. Something you can dance to.

When I do "Mustang Sally" a break button would be nice. Is it possible to get a break without hitting the off switch?

When I turn on the drawbars I get some preset sound that is not to my liking. I have to turn off the overdrive leakage and percussion to get it to sound good. How do I get a setting I like to be there when I turn on the drawbars?

What style would you use to do "Sweet Home Chicago"?

I'm looking for a good shuffle for "You Don't Mess Around With Jim". Can't find a stock one.

How about a style for "Midnight Hour"?

How can I use Intro 3 and have style one play after the intro?

How do I prevent the One Touch buttons from changing the left hand parts?

When I up the drum volume on a style that setting seems to carry over to all styles selected after. How do I prevent this?

Can I copy parts of a style to create a new one?

Has anyone found the cover feature useful for anything?

Can Leslie effect be added to some of the organ sounds that don't have it?

Sorry for all the questions.

thanks in advance,

Tom

Tom

#221768 - 11/20/07 08:12 PM Re: g70 questions
Shade of pale Offline

Loc: Allen, TX, USA
Tom,

I use either Slow Rock or 6/8 to do "After the loving', and At last, just find the tempo that right for the song. As far as "break" you have to assign break function to one of the assigned button, hope it helps...

------------------
Tye

SD9, Audya5, Genos, Roland XP60, 2 Yamaha DSR12, 2 Yamaha Sub, 2 Turbosound 2000

#221769 - 11/21/07 04:34 AM Re: g70 questions
o3bor Offline

Tom,
I suggest you to ask your questions in this forum: http://roland-arranger.com/
and you'll find a lot of G-70 expert people ready to answer.

#221770 - 11/21/07 11:29 AM Re: g70 questions
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Tom, reading your post only makes me smile that I sold my G70. I had many of the same questions and asked them here and at roalnd-arranger.com. The bulk of the answers suggested I read the manual. That, of course, doesn't help does it. I decided that I really needed to understand the Roland OS before attempting any sound or style modifications.

I can say that most of your questions can be answered by making your own registrations or editing those that are there. Make sure you have a memory card and save all your stuff there.

I can say that I found the COVER feature useful, but only a couple of them. There certainly is no for a dozen. I used one on the first page and another on pg. 3, I think.

I found the drawbar ssection to be a handful. I know what you mean about calling up sounds that are in need of tweaking. The experts will tell you to edit - gee, thanks guys. I did not like the fixed setting on the vibrato/chorus and there is no way to change them.

In all, I really liked playing the G70 a lot. But, now that it's gone all I really miss is the 76-note keyboard and the Fantom X piano. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Truthfully, Fran Carango was most helpful and so was Diki.

#221771 - 11/21/07 11:54 AM Re: g70 questions
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Tom, I have a new G-70, too. Comparing it to the Ketron stuff I've always played, I'm really disappointed. Break functions...everything you mentioned is a problem.

In my mind, the general design and sound quality just doesn't meet my expectations.

I may donate it to a youth center. The Midjay and controller I got from Don, even though not new, is far superior for my needs.

Generally, I'm pretty disappointed. Ketron remains my brand of choice, even though i have some resevations right now about a purchase at this time. Like the SH-201 and GW-7 for my purposes, though!

BUMMER!

Russ (looking forward to visitors Friday night)!

#221772 - 11/21/07 12:58 PM Re: g70 questions
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Russ, if you decide to donate the G70, I have a suggestion for you. Have to be in private.
I think that if you work with it though, you'll like a lot of things about it.
DonM

#221773 - 11/21/07 01:24 PM Re: g70 questions
captain Russ Offline

Thanks, Don. I think the G-70 is not what I need. I've maxed out my donations for this year, so it will be on the list for 2008. Even the limit of 7 foot pedals is something I will have trouble with. I'm going to use the 13 note pedal with the Midjay.

The drum break function is a reall downer for me. Use lots of drum breaks. I understand the work-around, and that's just bad design, in my opinion.

Hey, I took a chance and it didn't work out. What else can you do with no dealer nearby?

I've been playing Ketron/Solton since the early auto orchestra days. Everything else I see comes up a little short, in my opinion.

Of course, that's just my opinion, and shouldn't influence the choices of anyone else.

One of the few things about getting older is you can be obnoxious as hell and no-one can do anything about it. I just don't like the damn thing.

SO THERE!

Russ

#221774 - 11/21/07 01:29 PM Re: g70 questions
captain Russ Offline

Thanks, Don. I think the G-70 is not what I need. I've maxed out my donations for this year, so it will be on the list for 2008. Even the limit of 7 foot pedals is something I will have trouble with. I'm going to use the 13 note pedal with the Midjay.

The drum break function is a reall downer for me. Use lots of drum breaks. I understand the work-around, and that's just bad design, in my opinion.

Hey, I took a chance and it didn't work out. What else can you do with no dealer nearby?

I've been playing Ketron/Solton since the early auto orchestra days. Everything else I see comes up a little short, in my opinion.

Of course, that's just my opinion, and shouldn't influence the choices of anyone else.

One of the few things about getting older is you can be obnoxious as hell and no-one can do anything about it. I just don't like the damn thing.

SO THERE!

Russ

#221775 - 11/21/07 01:30 PM Re: g70 questions
captain Russ Offline

Sorry-hit the button twice. Don't like the touch screed either...AT ALL!

R.

#221776 - 11/21/07 01:37 PM Re: g70 questions
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Russ ..how about a half donation...I will give you a grand for it..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online