SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#221309 - 10/15/04 01:49 PM Tap the POWER of the Yamaha Music Finder !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
If you own a Yamaha arranger keyboard, the Music Finder feature is an often overlooked powerful feature which will aid in organizing your song repetoire list and set play list(s). The Music Finder is a database function which allows you to create, organize, and search for any song or (songs) which meet just about any criteria you choose (from a list) or define yourself. This includes calling up the desired style (along with OTS voice settings) that is stored with that song along with the tempo.

Unfortunately, there are also limitations to the Yamaha Music Finder feature which include: the ability to ONLY link to the keyboard's 'preset' styles or styles located in USER memory. Styles on the hard drive or on floppy cannot be utilized. Other missing Music Finder functions include: not being able to store key transpose settings or intro/ending settings, not having the ability to see what instrument voices are stored in OTS 1-4 until you actually press the buttons, and the fact that whenever you leave the Music Finder Window, the current song record jumps back to the first song at the top the list. Luckily, I've been able to develop some workarounds which enable me to perform MORE and MORE exclusively using the Tyros' Music Finder feature alone.

Though the PSR3000, as well as all other recent Yamaha arrangers, include the Music Finder feature, one BIG advantage of the Tyros Music Finder is its much larger LCD (color) screen size (for EZ reading) and it's larger associated buttons which makes MFD navigation more convenient, especially on the fly during performance.

Ok you ask: why does Scott now utilize the Tyros Music Finder (almost exclusively) when performing? Because this supplies me (at my fingertips) my entire core repetoire song collection (590+) along with appropriate style & tempo, and the ability to pull ANY song up in a matter of seconds (less than 10). In addition, if I get a song request, I can quickly pull up the song, or all songs matching similar criteria (artist, style, decade era, etc) further expanding song possiblities to match the requestor.

Here are some workaround solutions to some of the MFD limitations I outlined in paragraph two (above). Each MFD song record includes a "Music (song title)" & "Keyword" field. In the "music" field, following the song title, I also include the song key & "key transpose" setting (ei: C-1 = key of C & transpose setting 1/2 step down) . Following this I add a space followed by 4 letters to signify the instrument voices for each of the 4 OTS setttings.

A: Accordion
B: Brass
C: Clarinet
D: Drums (Steel)
E: Elec Piano - DX7 - Rhodes
F: Flute
G: Guitar
H: Harmonica
I: Whistle
J: Banjo
L: (vio)Lin
O: Organ
M: Marimba
P: Piano (Acoustic)
S: Strings
T: Trumpet/Trombone
V: Vibes
W: Woodwind Sec
X: Saxophone
Y: (s)Ynth
Z: Xylophone

Optionally, a space can follow this with a 2 digit number to signify what intro & ending are used with this song. For example: 12 would mean use intro 1 and ending 2.

Example: "Music" (song title) field: All My Loving F-1 POGB 23

The above is played in the key of F with key transpose set to (-1). OTS settings are:
1) Piano, 2) Organ, 3) Guitar, 4) Brass Ensemble, and intro 2 and ending 3 are to be used. All the above info is conveniently displayed in the main window of the music finder.

On to the "keywords field: section. The keywords section allows you to define custom search criteria with each keyword needing a comma (,) between them. I recommend using single letters ONLY. Here is my keyword definition list:

A: My personal A list showcase songs
P: Most Popularly Requested Songs
W: Work Songs
M: Memorized Songs
I: Instrumental Songs
R: Songs that I use custom Registrations with
1-9: signifies decade song was composed (2= 1920's, 3=1930's, etc)
2K: Songs from the current decade.

Example: "Keyword" field: 6,M,A

The above means the song is from the 1960's, memorized, and on my choice A list.

With the above keywords as well as utilizing the customizable define (song Genre) field feature, you can search for many types of criteria at a touch of button come up with song list selections to immediately play (on the fly) for just about any audience song request.

Of course, to setup your own custom MFD requires a little inital work & time, but with Michael Bedesem's terrific (and FREE to boot) Windows software program called: Music Finder View:
http://www.svpworld.com/util_mfdview.htm

It's quick and simple to use, as you can do everything from the convenience of your keyboard on your Windows PC computer. And don't worry, the backup of the factory Music Finder database is permanently stored in the keyboard in ROM, so you can easily reload it if you want, so have no fear in creating your OWN custom Music Finder Database which includes ONLY and all of YOUR songs and YOUR CHOICE of style selection. I urge all Yamaha arranger keyboard owners to take the time to really utilize the Music Finder feature. I can't live without it now.

I hope my post here encourages Yamaha arranger keyboard players to explore and utilize the Music Finder feature. I would love to hear from others here who utilize the Music Finder in performance.

- Scott

------------------
http://scottyee.com

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 10-17-2004).]

#221310 - 10/15/04 03:03 PM Re: Tap the POWER of the Yamaha Music Finder !
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Very interesting Scott,

I actually only use my USER styles, but I wonder if I can make this work for me. I actually never use the music finder. When you select a song, does it automatically change the tempo?

Chony

#221311 - 10/15/04 03:32 PM Re: Tap the POWER of the Yamaha Music Finder !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by chony:
I actually only use my USER styles, but I wonder if I can make this work for me. I actually never use the music finder.

Chony,

I definitely recommend you trying it out and encourage you to create your own CUSTOM Music Finder file. I find that playing is more fun & provides a spontaneous performance.

Quote:
Originally posted by chony:

When you select a song, does it automatically change the tempo?

In Music Finder there is a 'tempo lock' featuare option which allows you to either keep the current tempo when selecting new songs, or change to the tempo stored for the new song in Music Finder. I typically keep the 'tempo lock' set to OFF, which automatically changes the tempo when a new song is selected.

Scott

#221312 - 10/15/04 03:57 PM Re: Tap the POWER of the Yamaha Music Finder !
Dnj Offline

I have tried the MF..its totaly useless in my act and style of playing. I rely on Registrations, Custom edited User styles, User sounds etc ...its much faster to search for Songs on the fly, using the playing style that I incorporate. My head would explode trying to organize and remmnber all that MF stuff Scott posted YIKES!

"Different Strokes"

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-15-2004).]

#221313 - 10/15/04 04:20 PM Re: Tap the POWER of the Yamaha Music Finder !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
My head would explode trying to organize and remmnber all that MF stuff Scott posted YIKES!

Donny: Perhaps I'm merely a genius cuz it didn't take long at all for me to master the above. If needed in the begining (as a cheat sheet) just tape a small piece of paper to the keyboard of the above OTS voice chart.

Though I continue to use custom registrations for situations which demand strict reg setups (medleys, and songs which involve a lot of style vari/voice changes, I personally prefer using the Music Finder method for playing more casual venues: piano bar cocktail lounge, nursing homes, etc as it allows for a more spontaneous way to select/choose songs & make 'on the fly' OTS setting changes. Donny, I appreciate that the Music Finder doesn't work for you, but (for me) over time, I have discovered it more and more useful and a preferable way to more spontaneously perform (at least for me). I suppose much of the appeal of this method follows the path of intuitive playing which I prefer over the more structured formal approach of registration sequence playing where you're locked in to a set registration sequence. The bottom line is that each method has its merits.

Scott

#221314 - 10/15/04 04:35 PM Re: Tap the POWER of the Yamaha Music Finder !
Dnj Offline

Scot....it don't matter HOW ya Do it......it's what it sounds like that matters!

#221315 - 10/15/04 04:52 PM Re: Tap the POWER of the Yamaha Music Finder !
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,

I set up my music finder in a similar fashion to years when I purchased the 2000. For me, the music finder directoty is an incredible tool and works well for me as well. However, I also use number of registrations, midi files and even an occasional MP3, all of which can be instantly accessed on the fly. One of the greatest things about the PSR-3000 is its expanded MFD that also allows you to save the intro and initial variation, thereby eliminating the selection of these when the song is selected.

When we get to Bossier City, I hope you can demonstrate ways to effectively use this wonderful tool.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#221316 - 10/15/04 05:39 PM Re: Tap the POWER of the Yamaha Music Finder !
MagicUser Offline

Loc: New York, USA
I discovered the wonderful Music Finder option on my PSR 2000 and have utilized it almost every time I play. For songs I use frequently I have in the Favorites section and I can play them in the order I have in my sheet music book. I just turn the page and press down in the MF section and I'm ready to play the next song.
I have also downloaded (from the psrtutorial site) other recommendations for songs.
This is a good feature to be reminded of or pointed out.
Scott, I liked your organization tips. I may try that since I rarely use those columns.

- Brian

#221317 - 10/16/04 12:21 AM Re: Tap the POWER of the Yamaha Music Finder !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Music Finder! I don't need no stinkin' music finder.
Seriously, it seems to take me longer to open the mf, select the song, turn off the auto OTS button, than it does just to select a style, set the tempo and play.
Or maybe I'm just lazy.
DonM

#221318 - 10/16/04 01:02 AM Re: Tap the POWER of the Yamaha Music Finder !
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Scott. Interestingly the new CVP307 & 309 MusicFinder can now save and select the correct OTS Starting voice you would expect to hear with the song. Correct Intro & Correct Variation that was saved in the MusicFinder.
This was similar also on the PSR9000 & 9000Pro but left off the Tyros.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online