SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#221274 - 03/06/03 12:22 PM One man band Vs. RMCA
Recorder Offline

Hi everybody, I'm looking for a good realtime arranger software to use my MIDI controller as a high quality arranger keyboard.
I just read in this forum about One man band; browsing the web I found RMCA, too. So, what do you think about this two Windows applications?
Using One man band you can download Yamaha standard styles, but RMCA has an interface not so complex.........
I don't know...... any idea? Thank you.
Recorder

#221275 - 03/06/03 12:52 PM Re: One man band Vs. RMCA
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
I believe RMCA uses their own styles not Yamaha styles.
Starkeeper

#221276 - 03/06/03 01:07 PM Re: One man band Vs. RMCA
Recorder Offline

Starkeeper, yes RMCA uses its own styles, but you have around 800 styles free downloadable from RMCA's home page; I think that styles resource is not a problem. I really don't understand what is the best software in these two options..... as I said, maybe RMCA is more simple to use but I'm not sure........
Recorder

#221277 - 03/06/03 02:15 PM Re: One man band Vs. RMCA
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Steve Rosenthal is the guru on this issue. You should also try "Live Styler". This is Steve's primary software, but he uses the others as well???? He would be the best person, I think, to tell you the pros and cons of each arranger. I have a lot of problems using MIDI with my Roland, so have not been able to use these arranger software successfully.
Starkeeper

#221278 - 03/06/03 07:40 PM Re: One man band Vs. RMCA
arnothijssen Offline

Loc: Marietta, GA USA
i think you mean frank rosenthal, and i agree, he is the expert

#221279 - 03/08/03 02:30 AM Re: One man band Vs. RMCA
Jos Maas Offline

Loc: Hantum, The Netherlands
Recorder, I am the author of One Man Band. Currently I am working on a new interface for OMB. This is mainly intended for users without a midi keyboard or with a very small one like the Prodikeys or Music Star. But it can also be used by midi keyboard owners that have a problem with the existing interface (using the midi keyboard for all kinds of operations). If you're interested I can sent you a Beta version of this. Maybe you can help me with some ideas for improvement.

#221280 - 03/08/03 06:00 AM Re: One man band Vs. RMCA
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I recall trying out the OMB program and I thought it was good vs the others but assigning keys to switch variations would not work out particularly well ( for me ) Jos. I thought that the program had potential vs the other style software that I've tried though,( RSP and Live styler ) because I do like the idea of being able to switch variations without having to touch the computer kb . I had envisioned trying to use different CCs in my Motif, bit I'm not certain whether or not I would be able to utilize these in a live playing situation. I probably could if I could program the kb's assignable knobs certain unused CC parameters. It's just a thought that may or may not translate well to other kb's that have differing features.

AJ

#221281 - 03/08/03 08:34 AM Re: One man band Vs. RMCA
Jos Maas Offline

Loc: Hantum, The Netherlands
Bluezplayer, if you have buttons on your keyboard that can be programmed to send user defined midi messages, then those buttons could be used for triggering variations. The pad buttons on my keyboard work only in arranger mode, they don't send midi messages in midi mode. But if pad buttons did send midi messages then you could e.g. program pad1 to send a D0 note, pad 2 to send a D#0 etc. Then in OMB assign the variation triggers to these notes and you would be able to trigger variations with the pad buttons.

It's not clear to me what you mean with the "assignable knobs" on your keyboard. Are these buttons that can send user defined midi messages? Can they send note-on messages as well or just Control Change messages? It wouldn't be that difficult to let OMB recognise certain Control Change messages as variation triggers.

JM

#221282 - 03/08/03 02:48 PM Re: One man band Vs. RMCA
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Jos,

The assignable knobs and sliders send only CC messages.

AJ

#221283 - 03/10/03 09:58 AM Re: One man band Vs. RMCA
CharlieT Offline

I have been using LiveStyler for several months now and have been very happy with its ability to customize the keyboard interface. I've found it to be the most flexible thing out there that doesn't make me give up keys on the keyboard in order to control it. ( I have a Korg Triton Studio; I recently tried One Man Band, and using it would require to turn off all local sounds on the Triton, so it's not a real option for me.)

That said, however, OneManBand has what I think is the best and most straightforward style editor I've come across, so I'm intending on using it as well.

Hope someone can benefit from this two cents. :-)

Charlie T.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online