SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#221241 - 09/26/03 11:23 AM Sound system questions
sunster Offline

Loc: Mumbai, INDIA
Ok Im at it again. But Im putting in all my savings so I really need to know. OK...situation check. My present system includes my 'soon to arrive' PSR 2100, a studiomaster powered mixer that delivers about 200W per channel, my speakers are 2 two-way enclosures with bullet tweeters and 15" mid-bass drivers. These speakers have a power rating of about 350W @ 8 ohms. I wanna beef up my sound. My sound guy suggested me to go in for a power amp. I saw a studiomaster P series power amp of about 350W RMS per channel that also fitted in budget. What I wanted to know is that if I add this new amplifier and change the crossovers and the tweeters in the speakers to horn tweeters, how much improvement would I find in the sound. Also would my low-ends (BASS) improve with the use of this 350W amp since I have 15" drivers. Would these produce more bass, if yes, how much more than the present because I also play MP3s off my laptop in parties and mostly techno and trance so I need that extra bass. Hope you get a picture of my situation and suggest something.
THANX
Sunny

#221242 - 09/26/03 11:10 PM Re: Sound system questions
PaulD Offline

Loc: Eugene, OR
Hasn't Studiomaster gone out of business, or at least stopped making mixers? The reason I ask, is I have always been a fan of Studiomaster mixers when I went to purchase a bigger board, they seemed to be gone... Do you have any insight?

Regards,

Paul

#221243 - 09/27/03 07:43 AM Re: Sound system questions
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Sunnny, what are going to do for a mixer? All the elements in a setup contribute to the final sound - a Peavey sure sounds different than Carvin or a Studiomaster. I take it you like Studiomaster, so you are sticking with that. Maybe their sound is different than, say, a Mackie or Behringer, or Tascam, etc. Also, I would think that changing the tweeters on your speakers may change the high end, but how would you think it would change the low end - the 15's are the same as before. I certainly don't want you to bust your budget, but a newer, more compact system with optimum bass response may be your best choice. Try auditioning some EV SX-100's or 300's or some Mackie 300i. I use a Mackie 808s (1200w stereo) with a pair of Mackie 300's and love it.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 09-27-2003).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online