SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#221076 - 02/04/02 12:43 PM Union - AFM
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
How many of you folks are members of the American Federation of Musicians? Do you feel that it is worth it? What are some of you experiences with them?

Tom

Tom

#221077 - 02/05/02 04:39 AM Re: Union - AFM
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
In Philadelphia, the local union is useless unless you play in the theatre circuit. There are lots of venues that never even ask about union cards, let alone enforce any regulations.
The power of the union has diminished over the years, and in todays business, at least for the small time, local player - there is NO reason or benifit to belong too it.
I remember one hotel in the 70's asking us for cards (Holiday Inn, I think), and the leader showed his, and that was all they needed. It used to be that the bartenders were all union too, but that's not the case anymore.
I have nothing but bad experiences with unions (in general) because I worked with the UAW while I was in college. What a bunch of crooks! They told me not to work so fast, take longer breaks, and gave me all the "tips" on how to LOOK busy and not really DO anything. It was horrible. My frist "REAL" encounter with the adult workforce, and I was soured badly.
I believe that the unions were important many, many years ago - but they have outlived their usefulness, and are now a THREAT to the hard worker of today. MERIT should be the ONLY criteria of a job - not tenure, or status, or union regulations.
It makes my blood boil when I think that some people are drawing a salary for NOT working, while many are willing to work, and can't break into the UNION jobs. It's just wrong.
...I fell better now.

#221078 - 02/05/02 05:30 AM Re: Union - AFM
arnothijssen Offline

Loc: Marietta, GA USA
As usual Uncle Dave, you could not have said it better

#221079 - 02/05/02 05:45 AM Re: Union - AFM
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I agree. My dad joined the AF of M in the 30's when the band would play for comission. I refused to pay for membership so for 20 years he payed it for me. Our lead sax player was the local president, my dad a sax player was a trustee and our trumpet player was secretary. My dad died about 9 years ago and so did my membership. Our "president" sax player (a life member) and secretary (also a life member) dropped out about 5 years ago. The Muskegon MI local merged or was absorbed by the Grand Rapids local.

For a while we played some of the trust fund jobs. I heard that some of the nursing home jobs in the Grand Rapids area were funded by the Recording Trust Fund.

I had always heard that Union membership in the large cities with big locals had advantages. You could buy medical insurance at group rates, equipment insurance and life insurance. The union will represent you in court with a lawyer if neccessary over a contract dispute especially if you use their blank contract form.

I'm surprised to learn that the union is as usless in the big cities as it was here.

Tom

#221080 - 02/05/02 06:15 AM Re: Union - AFM
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Proud to be a union member and former chief steward who is certainly hard working and does not feel he is any threat to the hard worker of today.

Korg AJ

#221081 - 02/05/02 06:51 AM Re: Union - AFM
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
"Hard Working" is the key, AJ. Good for you.

#221082 - 02/05/02 06:59 AM Re: Union - AFM
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
'Back in the day' when I was doing General Business (weddings, socials, etc.) in NYC if you weren't union the union rep would pull all the waitstaff, bartenders, etc. out of the hall or club unless the band stopped playing. The union also dictated the number of musicians needed to play certain sized rooms. This was a help to musicians because it got more guys working. However, Local 802 in NY lost a court case brought by some guy with 'house' contracts and the union could no longer enforce the minimums, or the union membership requirement. As that protection was about the only thing the dues got you, 'part time' musicians rapidly dropped their membership. .... and then 'along came DJs' .... and the rest as they say is history. I would say that the full time guys, playing theater etc. still are union members, as mentioned by 'Uncle Dave'.
Another change I've seen is that 'in the old days' you could play what was popular at the time, but do so in your own style, and people enjoyed it. In fact, groups took pride in developing their style, and their following. Nowadays, if it doesn't sound like the record, people don't want to hear it. So, in places like NYC, you have the option of hiring a DJ to spin records (at no cheap price), or pay 5, 6, 7M dollars for a 6-10 piece group that WILL sound like the record... especially with professional backing tracks, etc.
So now, living in Rhode Island, I keep content playing my kn6000 in lounges and supper clubs, and the occasional small party...no union, no hassle ....
t.
PS .... sorry if I digressed....

#221083 - 02/05/02 08:25 AM Re: Union - AFM
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I left the Union many years ago because they never did anything to help me, and were always there with their hands out wanting some of my hard-earned money, so they could turn around and give it to the Symphony to support their concerts.
The only time I needed them, they let me down. I assumed it might be different in other cities, but apparently not.
I know the guy who is president of the local. Guess who's band gets first pick of any jobs that might come up through the union. I'd probably do the same thing in his position.
Side note: A couple of years ago, I played at the Miss Teen-age America pageant with the Louisiana Hayride Band. When I arrived for rehearsal, and later for the show, it surprised me than there were Union stage hands that had to carry my equipment in, set it up and even plug it in. What surprised me more, was that apparently that was the only thing they had to do all night. They sat around and drank coffee until time to unplug my keyboard and carry the whole 22 pounds to my van.
DonM

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 02-05-2002).]

#221084 - 02/05/02 08:50 AM Re: Union - AFM
Anonymous
Unregistered

My experience is similar to Don's and Uncle Dave. I had to join the union to do a summer job in Wildwood NJ. They touted insurance and a magazine. After joining a NJ local (Burlington County, as I remember) I was charged "Travelling Dues" because Wildwood was in the Philadelphia Local. Who Woulda Guessed?

Eddie

#221085 - 02/05/02 10:31 AM Re: Union - AFM
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Bsharp ..... I had forgotten about the 'travelling dues'... I lived in Staten Island, NYC, and if I played a gig in ANY other part of NYC I had to pay that levy!!!
t.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online