SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#220861 - 01/14/04 02:31 PM Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !?
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

I disable all virus protection software before I update or install any applications or operating systems (Windows XP).

#220862 - 01/14/04 02:49 PM Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !?
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Hey Scott,

Do me a favor and download the following program to your suspect computer, run it, click on the Scan button, then click on the Save Log button, save the log somewhere on your hard drive and then email me the log.

HiJackThis.exe

(right click and do a Save As)

Do NOT click on "Fix checked" till we've discussed.

Nice little tool for detecting possible hijacks. Not saying that's your problem but the log has lots of info to look at.

mike

#220863 - 01/14/04 10:32 PM Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Wow, thanks to everyone for their many & varied responses.

I re-ran Norton Anti-virus 2004 (with latest virus definitions) again and everything comes up clean. I assume that NAV 2004 (with latest virus definitions)would spot that notorious blaster worm virus right? I think I even recall running a special blaster worm scan (from Microsoft or NAV) on my computer some time back and it came up negative then as well.

cassp: I downloaded & ran Ad-aware (per your advice) and have forwarded the log file to Mike (msutliff) per his request. The log contained a number of suspicious files so I'm hoping one of these may be the culprit of the problems I've been experiencing. I'm waiting till I hear back from Mike before actually removing though.

Frank: Good advice about removing virus protection before installing new programs, but don't the latest versions of Norton AntiVirus (such as NAV 2004) now allow you to safely install programs without having to disable NAV?

Glenn: How did you discover the Blaster Worm variant, and how did you remove it? Did your virus checker (NAV?) find it in a routine scan?

Terry: I checked the uninstall files in the Windows Directory you directed me to and there are like over 50 files of this type. I rather fear messing with this files .

DonM: I guess System Restore is an option, but this might mean going back rather far as I've been experiencing this erratic problem for over a month, and a lot of stuff has been added to my PC since then.

The above reported problem I'm experiencing is rather erratic. Sometimes I can go a whole day without it occuring, while other days, it will happen several times a day or even an hour.

I'll let you guys know if deleting Ad-aware suspicious files solves the problem or not. I'm waiting for Msutliff (Mike) to get back to me before actually deleting them.

Scott

#220864 - 01/15/04 01:40 AM Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Every PC user gets these sort of problems. I get them often because I install and uninstall programs for testing most days. MS System Restore is in most cases a waste of time.

The solution and which I have used for many years. NORTON GHOST (Low cost) program saves an image of your complete system onto a spare partition. I can restore my complete system back to day 1 in 10 minutes. Drive Image is another such program.

Graham UK

#220865 - 01/15/04 03:13 AM Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !?
ziggy Offline

Loc: Malta
Scott the blaster worm or W32 as it is known can be handled by First by downloading the Patch from Microsoft, then before instalina you HAVE TO DISABLE SYSTEM RESTOR, this is done by Right CLIK on MY COMPUTER Icon (WHICH SHOULD BE FOUND ON YOUR DESKTOP)then select Properties and select System Restore and HIGHLIGHT the Box
Turn Off System Restore On All Drivesand PRESS APPLY AT THE BOTTOM.
After you done that Install the Patch.
Don't forget to Revers Back the System Restore Back To as it was before.

If you have the Blaster worm you will know cause you will get a popup windown which tells you that the computer will restart in 60sec.

I would Have suggested something more simple to you when you have trouble with XP use the SYSTEM RESTOR to an earlier Date when you know you wHeren't having any trouble and the computer come brand new.
It is simple to do and very safe.

Good Luck
Tony.

#220866 - 01/15/04 03:34 AM Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !?
ziggy Offline

Loc: Malta
Quote:
Originally posted by Graham UK:
MS System Restore is in most cases a waste of time.

Graham I agree with you that Norton Ghost is the best way, But I don't agree with you that System Restore doesn't work in most cases, I have used it many times and it always worked for me, only in cases where the damage was so bad that I had to ReInstal windows again, like you I install a lot of programs for testing and then uninstall them.

[/B][/QUOTE]

The solution and which I have used for many years. NORTON GHOST (Low cost) program
Graham UK

[/B][/QUOTE]

#220867 - 01/15/04 07:05 AM Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !?
Scottyee Offline

Graham & Ziggy: The program I use for backing up my HD is PowerQuest Corporation's "Drive Image 7".
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1206166,00.asp

Interesting to note that Symantec recently took over PowerQuest.

I suppose I could go back to the latest backup I did with Drive Image, but unfortunately that was several months ago. and I've installed several new programs etc since then. I realize now that you have to keep the backups updated regularly. Easier said then done I suppose. - Scott

#220868 - 01/15/04 07:51 AM Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !?
Scottyee Offline

To update and clarify the problems I'm having with my Computer:

It appears now that after launching & browsing around in IE6 and/or Windows Media Player for a while, that suddenly (out of nowhere) I'm no longer able to relaunch IE6 (to open a new window). I've also discovered that I'm also no longer able to launch other application programs via clicking on the app shortcut icons on the desktop either. I think that Windows suddenly is not recognizing my app shortcuts. When I subsequently go to Start> Turn off Computer > Reboot, I get 3 separate windows message boxes which appear in succession: Each says states that a specific program is not responding, and goes thru the slow task of having me wait for Windows to close them. These include:

ccApp: http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/ccapp/

iexplore: http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/iexplore/

CRTCIMService http://groups.google.com/groups?q=crtcimservice&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en:

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, another thing I notice is that whenever I run Norton Utilities, I'm finding that at least 7 or more shortcuts are required to be repaired, and this happens even when I run Norton Utilites more than once a day. I'm wondering why the shortcuts keep getting corrupted.

I'm hoping that this newly updated information might be helpful in pin pointing a solution to the problem. Thanks again for anyone's interest and assistance.

Scott

#220869 - 01/15/04 08:49 AM Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Ziggy. Even in your reply you have stated one case where System Restore has not worked.
QUOTE....only in cases where the damage was so bad that I had to ReInstal windows again.

Ziggy.If you had used Norton Ghost you would not have had to re-install Windows again plus all your additional programs....That could take hours.
As I have already stated Ghosting back my saved Image takes only 10 minutes...that includes Windows and all my programs.

Graham UK

[This message has been edited by Graham UK (edited 01-15-2004).]

#220870 - 01/15/04 09:06 AM Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Review (CNET Review)
Over the years, Norton Ghost has maintained a well-deserved reputation as a powerful and reliable disk-imaging application. The latest version, Ghost 2003 ($69.95, $49.95 for upgrade), maintains that tradition, adding an improved interface and more storage options. Unfortunately, Ghost still clings to its DOS-based roots, even in an all-Windows world. With competitors such as PowerQuest Drive Image 2002 and Acronis True Image offering much better Windows integration, Ghost 2003 is a dinosaur. Until Ghost can run completely in Windows, go elsewhere.

Info on what may be an even better alternative for backing up the Hard Drive: http://www.powerquest.com/driveimage/

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online