OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !?

Posted by: Scottyee

OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !? - 01/14/04 10:41 AM

I'm running Windows XP and have been experiencing a weird thing going on for a while now.

Often, while surfing the web via Internet Explorer (version 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.040322-1633), and then attempting to re-launch (via IE desktop icon) a new IE display window, it won't launch. I then attempt to restart (windows shutdown) the computer, but get an error message box that comes up saying "iexplore.exe" is no longer responding, followed by the message: If you choose to end the program immediately you will lose any unsaved data. Because of this, I wait for the status bar thermometer in the window to complete it's task (about 15 -20 seconds) and then press 'end now' . Then another message box pops up saying that "ccApp" is no longer responding, followed by the same message I had received with "iexplore.exe", and I have to go thru the same waiting & 'end now' procedure I performed earlier. After all this, yet another message box appears saying that "CRTCIM Service" is no longer responding. After going thru the same waiting period and hitting 'end now' yet again, the computer finally shuts down and reboots normally.

After investigation, I've found that "iexplore" has something to do with Internet Explorer and "ccApp" has something to do with Norton Antivirus. I have no idea what "CRTCIM Services" is about. Are these some kind of Windows Startup files which keep getting corrupted when I'm on the computer for a while?
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/ccapp/ http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/iexplore/

I run Norton Utilities regularly on my computer, and it seems that every day, there are a few 5-8 shortcuts that keep needing to get repaired on a daily basis. Could this have something to do with the above problems? Everything else (Windoctor, etc) checks out fine when running Norton Utilities.

I'm the first to admit I'm not a Windows expert (barely beyond beginner actually) so I'm hoping one of you techies can help me figure out & solve this annoying problem I'm experiencing.

Thanks in advance,

Scott
Posted by: Dnj

Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !? - 01/14/04 10:47 AM

Scott, you might have a Virus of some kind....I hope not. Do you have evrthing backed up on CD.

Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !? - 01/14/04 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Scott, you might have a Virus of some kind....I hope not. Do you have evrthing backed up on CD.

Don't think I have a virus cause Norton Anti-Virus is kept 'up to date' and entire HD scanned regularly (including auto update & autoscan enabled as well). I do also keep my computer's entire HD routinely backed up (on CD) utilizing a good hard drive system backup program. - Scott
Posted by: Gunnar Jonny

Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !? - 01/14/04 11:28 AM

Countdown and computer shutdown is s sign
of the blaster worm / virus.
There are a special patch at Microsoft and a virus remover tool
at symmantec to deal with this.
Both can be find at Symantecs websita, and description about how
to do.
But by all mean, it can be something else...
GJ
Posted by: cassp

Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !? - 01/14/04 11:38 AM

According to my IT son, who maintains a network of over 50 computers:
"It sounds like a BHO or Browser Hijack. I suggest he runs AdAware or Bulletproof Spyware Removal to search his hard drive for any kind of BHO's or spy-ware."

Also, there was an issue with ie6. Go back and check Windows Update and see if you need to uninstall IE6 and reinstall it.

The virus thing sounds like a real possibility, Scott. Good luck.
Posted by: trtjazz

Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !? - 01/14/04 12:10 PM

Scott
I have had very similar things happen and each time it has happened it's shortly after I have updated Windows.

Three times I have had to remove the updates to get it to run right again.

Don't know for sure if this is germaine to your particular problem but....go to your C drive>Windows and see if you have a bunch of files in blue that start with $uninstall....

I have manually removed those files and all the updates by clicking on them and then choosing the uninstall. I had to do that in the last couple of weeks with my laptop that was running for garbage and once I removed them all was good again.

Near as I can figure for me anyway is it is somewhere in the updates to the Windows media player that seems to be causing the problem, because once I have those removed it runs fine again without those not responding messages etc.

On the other hand my wife always takes the critical updates and says she doesn't have a problem, so go figure. However she rarely if ever use the media player etc.

If it doesn't work, you can always go back to MS and reinstall them.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 01-14-2004).]
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !? - 01/14/04 12:20 PM

Scott,

The way it sounds is that Internet Explorer has been updated with a corrupt file, which is not at all uncommon. You will most likely have to reinstall internet explorer to solve your problem.

Good Luck,

Gary
Posted by: DonM

Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !? - 01/14/04 12:54 PM

Scott,
Try System Restore and restore your computer to the last save point when it was working correctly.
DonM
Posted by: GlennT

Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !? - 01/14/04 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by trtjazz:
Near as I can figure for me anyway is it is somewhere in the updates to the Windows media player that seems to be causing the problem

I had a similar problem ~ a month ago. It was a blaster worm variant and came in with a media player update. Scott, had you updated or downloaded any software recently?
Posted by: cassp

Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !? - 01/14/04 02:28 PM

Terry's advice rings true. As I said earlier, there was a problem with ie6 updates. Also, I found that if you download multiple updates before restarting, the updates cause a problem. I think we're getting close to your problem. Keep working on it.
Posted by: Frank L. Rosenthal

Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !? - 01/14/04 02:31 PM

I disable all virus protection software before I update or install any applications or operating systems (Windows XP).
Posted by: msutliff

Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !? - 01/14/04 02:49 PM

Hey Scott,

Do me a favor and download the following program to your suspect computer, run it, click on the Scan button, then click on the Save Log button, save the log somewhere on your hard drive and then email me the log.

HiJackThis.exe

(right click and do a Save As)

Do NOT click on "Fix checked" till we've discussed.

Nice little tool for detecting possible hijacks. Not saying that's your problem but the log has lots of info to look at.

mike

Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !? - 01/14/04 10:32 PM

Wow, thanks to everyone for their many & varied responses.

I re-ran Norton Anti-virus 2004 (with latest virus definitions) again and everything comes up clean. I assume that NAV 2004 (with latest virus definitions)would spot that notorious blaster worm virus right? I think I even recall running a special blaster worm scan (from Microsoft or NAV) on my computer some time back and it came up negative then as well.

cassp: I downloaded & ran Ad-aware (per your advice) and have forwarded the log file to Mike (msutliff) per his request. The log contained a number of suspicious files so I'm hoping one of these may be the culprit of the problems I've been experiencing. I'm waiting till I hear back from Mike before actually removing though.

Frank: Good advice about removing virus protection before installing new programs, but don't the latest versions of Norton AntiVirus (such as NAV 2004) now allow you to safely install programs without having to disable NAV?

Glenn: How did you discover the Blaster Worm variant, and how did you remove it? Did your virus checker (NAV?) find it in a routine scan?

Terry: I checked the uninstall files in the Windows Directory you directed me to and there are like over 50 files of this type. I rather fear messing with this files .

DonM: I guess System Restore is an option, but this might mean going back rather far as I've been experiencing this erratic problem for over a month, and a lot of stuff has been added to my PC since then.

The above reported problem I'm experiencing is rather erratic. Sometimes I can go a whole day without it occuring, while other days, it will happen several times a day or even an hour.

I'll let you guys know if deleting Ad-aware suspicious files solves the problem or not. I'm waiting for Msutliff (Mike) to get back to me before actually deleting them.

Scott
Posted by: Graham UK

Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !? - 01/15/04 01:40 AM

Every PC user gets these sort of problems. I get them often because I install and uninstall programs for testing most days. MS System Restore is in most cases a waste of time.

The solution and which I have used for many years. NORTON GHOST (Low cost) program saves an image of your complete system onto a spare partition. I can restore my complete system back to day 1 in 10 minutes. Drive Image is another such program.

Graham UK
Posted by: ziggy

Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !? - 01/15/04 03:13 AM

Scott the blaster worm or W32 as it is known can be handled by First by downloading the Patch from Microsoft, then before instalina you HAVE TO DISABLE SYSTEM RESTOR, this is done by Right CLIK on MY COMPUTER Icon (WHICH SHOULD BE FOUND ON YOUR DESKTOP)then select Properties and select System Restore and HIGHLIGHT the Box
Turn Off System Restore On All Drivesand PRESS APPLY AT THE BOTTOM.
After you done that Install the Patch.
Don't forget to Revers Back the System Restore Back To as it was before.

If you have the Blaster worm you will know cause you will get a popup windown which tells you that the computer will restart in 60sec.

I would Have suggested something more simple to you when you have trouble with XP use the SYSTEM RESTOR to an earlier Date when you know you wHeren't having any trouble and the computer come brand new.
It is simple to do and very safe.

Good Luck
Tony.
Posted by: ziggy

Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !? - 01/15/04 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham UK:
MS System Restore is in most cases a waste of time.

Graham I agree with you that Norton Ghost is the best way, But I don't agree with you that System Restore doesn't work in most cases, I have used it many times and it always worked for me, only in cases where the damage was so bad that I had to ReInstal windows again, like you I install a lot of programs for testing and then uninstall them.

[/B][/QUOTE]

The solution and which I have used for many years. NORTON GHOST (Low cost) program
Graham UK

[/B][/QUOTE]

Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !? - 01/15/04 07:05 AM

Graham & Ziggy: The program I use for backing up my HD is PowerQuest Corporation's "Drive Image 7".
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1206166,00.asp

Interesting to note that Symantec recently took over PowerQuest.

I suppose I could go back to the latest backup I did with Drive Image, but unfortunately that was several months ago. and I've installed several new programs etc since then. I realize now that you have to keep the backups updated regularly. Easier said then done I suppose. - Scott

Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !? - 01/15/04 07:51 AM

To update and clarify the problems I'm having with my Computer:

It appears now that after launching & browsing around in IE6 and/or Windows Media Player for a while, that suddenly (out of nowhere) I'm no longer able to relaunch IE6 (to open a new window). I've also discovered that I'm also no longer able to launch other application programs via clicking on the app shortcut icons on the desktop either. I think that Windows suddenly is not recognizing my app shortcuts. When I subsequently go to Start> Turn off Computer > Reboot, I get 3 separate windows message boxes which appear in succession: Each says states that a specific program is not responding, and goes thru the slow task of having me wait for Windows to close them. These include:

ccApp: http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/ccapp/

iexplore: http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/iexplore/

CRTCIMService http://groups.google.com/groups?q=crtcimservice&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en:

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, another thing I notice is that whenever I run Norton Utilities, I'm finding that at least 7 or more shortcuts are required to be repaired, and this happens even when I run Norton Utilites more than once a day. I'm wondering why the shortcuts keep getting corrupted.

I'm hoping that this newly updated information might be helpful in pin pointing a solution to the problem. Thanks again for anyone's interest and assistance.

Scott
Posted by: Graham UK

Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !? - 01/15/04 08:49 AM

Ziggy. Even in your reply you have stated one case where System Restore has not worked.
QUOTE....only in cases where the damage was so bad that I had to ReInstal windows again.

Ziggy.If you had used Norton Ghost you would not have had to re-install Windows again plus all your additional programs....That could take hours.
As I have already stated Ghosting back my saved Image takes only 10 minutes...that includes Windows and all my programs.

Graham UK

[This message has been edited by Graham UK (edited 01-15-2004).]
Posted by: btweengigs

Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !? - 01/15/04 09:06 AM

Review (CNET Review)
Over the years, Norton Ghost has maintained a well-deserved reputation as a powerful and reliable disk-imaging application. The latest version, Ghost 2003 ($69.95, $49.95 for upgrade), maintains that tradition, adding an improved interface and more storage options. Unfortunately, Ghost still clings to its DOS-based roots, even in an all-Windows world. With competitors such as PowerQuest Drive Image 2002 and Acronis True Image offering much better Windows integration, Ghost 2003 is a dinosaur. Until Ghost can run completely in Windows, go elsewhere.

Info on what may be an even better alternative for backing up the Hard Drive: http://www.powerquest.com/driveimage/

Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !? - 01/15/04 09:13 AM

Scott
I'm telling you been there done that 3 times and have the T shirt, it's in those "$uninstalls" Those are Windows updates and somewhere in there is a problem. Not knowing exactly where, I have uninstalled all of them 3 times and each time it has corrected the problem that you are talking about. It is a long tedious task, because one has to restart after each uninstall and it scares one by saying "are you sure you want to uninstall this because X won't work if you do. None of those came with your pc though, they came in updates from MS's site and the pc's run fine without any of them.

Again, you can always reinstall them at any point, just by start>windows update.
Terry

------------------
jam on,

Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !? - 01/15/04 09:15 AM

Hi Eddie, if you check my above earlier post, 'Drive Image 7' is the program I'm using. I used to use Norton Ghost as well, but find Drive Image 7 a lot easier to use. You can do everthing in Windows XP w/o having to go into DOS. - Scott

Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !? - 01/15/04 09:22 AM

Quote:
Scott
I'm telling you been there done that 3 times and have the T shirt, it's in those "$uninstalls" Those are Windows updates and somewhere in there is a problem. Not knowing exactly where, I have uninstalled all of them 3 times and each time it has corrected the problem that you are talking about. It is a long tedious task, because one has to restart after each uninstall and it scares one by saying "are you sure you want to uninstall this because X won't work if you do. None of those came with your pc though, they came in updates from MS's site and the pc's run fine without any of them.

Terry, you might be right about it possibly being a corrputed file in one of those windows updates, but I have about 58 of those "$uninstalls " and that would mean having to do what you did 58 times. There's got to be a better way to pinpoint the specific update to remove/reinstall I would hope. Is there any program utility out there that specifically checks & corrects these '$unistalls' files? - Scott

Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !? - 01/15/04 10:08 AM

Scott
If you want a starting point I would say any that are Media player oriented. I think but am not positive is where the problem is. You could delete one at a time and run in until it makes a difference.

What you are getting with those messages is a program that is running in the backround interfering with others and does not want to shut down.
Terry

------------------
jam on,

Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !? - 01/15/04 10:18 AM

Quote:
Scott
You could delete one at a time and run in until it makes a difference.

I guess I'm' just not as brave as you to do this (yet).
Posted by: GlennT

Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !? - 01/15/04 02:11 PM

Scott...

My blaster worm was first identified as an RPC System Shutdown. Don't know if it's what you have, but here are some sites that helped me first identify and then resolve my problem. Good luck.
http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=8147
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/detai...&displaylang=en
http://home.westelcom.com/blaster_fix_letter.htm
http://www.modemhelp.net/
http://www.techsupportforums.com/showthr...46941#post46941

Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !? - 01/15/04 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GlennT:
My blaster worm was first identified as an RPC System Shutdown.

Hi Glenn. My problem has nothing to do with Windows automatically shutting down. I'm sure my problem isn't a blaster worm because in addition to performing the blaster scan, I've also run all the extensive Norton antivirus, and utilities scans and everything checks out fine. - Scott.

Interesting that so far in the last 3 hours or so, no problems.

Scott
Posted by: Arthur R. Jacobs

Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !? - 01/15/04 07:15 PM

Scott: Wise not to leave your P/C on when you are not using it. That is what "Hackers" are looking for, that is when they sneak in and steal your system provider, so they can use it for themselves at no charge. An expert visited me, and offered to check out my Dell, no charge. He found and distroyed five Viruses I never knew I had, and two of them were well known, very nasty infestations. Regards ARJ

Re: OT: Please help: Program not Responding Errors - Windows XP Problems !? - 01/15/04 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Arthur R. Jacobs:
Scott: Wise not to leave your P/C on when you are not using it.

Thanks. Wise advice, especially if you're connected to the internet.