SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#220788 - 11/16/04 03:12 PM Playing along with Midi Files
TresorTX Offline

Loc: Dallas, Boston, Orlando
Sorry for the dumb quesions, but I am real new at this. PSR2000 owner. I see there are many song files out there which can be played on the 2K. Do any of you use these MIDI files to supply background instrumentation for songs, and you play along with them? Is this a common practice? Is it possible to sync up the MIDI song and play the keyboard's auto accompanyment at the same time? I am really confused as to how you would go about playing along with MIDI files.

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions. Russ

------------------
Russ Bolduc
817-714-0488

PSR S900
Korg PA1XPRO
Kurzweil PC3X
Logitech Z

#220789 - 11/16/04 04:35 PM Re: Playing along with Midi Files
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Russ,

You'll find most of the answers to this question, and many others at www.psrtutorial.com which is also where you'll find a total tutorial on using your keyboard. Welcome to the forum.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#220790 - 11/17/04 12:09 PM Re: Playing along with Midi Files
TresorTX Offline

Loc: Dallas, Boston, Orlando
I appreciate the suggestion, but psrtutorial.com does not talk about techniques and methods for playing along with MIDI files and using them as supplementary accompanyment.

Anyone have suggestions?

Thx, Russ

PSR S900
Korg PA1XPRO
Kurzweil PC3X
Logitech Z

#220791 - 11/17/04 01:51 PM Re: Playing along with Midi Files
Tom NL Offline

Loc: Holland
Hi Russ,

Not a dumb question at all of course! However some might consider playing along with a midi file is not really making music, it can be fun and good practise for new tunes.

This is how it works. You load a midifile in your keyboard. This file is in fact a virtual 16 track "tape" recording. The difference is that it is not the sound that is recorded but all the information of key strokes as well as settings, effects etc.

You can edit the instrument settings of all tracks once it's loaded. Than you can decide which track(s) you want to mute. This track, e.g. piano lead, you can then play yourself. It's best that you printout the sheet music for this particular track with one of the available music editing/recording programs like Cubase.

When you play along you have your midifile as a virtual band instead of the accompaniment of the keyboard. As I said, this can be great fun, assuming that you use good quality midifiles.

The latest keyboards can show the score on the display and recognize the chords from the midifile so you I think this will make it easy to learn to play these songs with "normal" accompaniment.

------------------
Tom NL

#220792 - 11/17/04 02:30 PM Re: Playing along with Midi Files
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
Hi Russ!
I play along with midifiles quite a bit, since guitar is my main instrument. As long as you use your instrument along with the files, the way I see it, you're just one in a virtual band. You are in fact doing exactly the same as if you had a live band, with the exception of interaction.
The arranger part I use for marches, polkas and sing-alongs in weddings etc. Plus I can build excellent midifiles with the styles. To say that using styles is 'better' than playing with files is a matter of interpretation. There are different views in this crowd of members. I think even the 'style-players' use midifiles at times.
Best of luck!

------------------
Roy-Andrč

#220793 - 11/18/04 07:49 AM Re: Playing along with Midi Files
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by royandreno:
the way I see it, you're just one in a virtual band. You are in fact doing exactly the same as if you had a live band,

Yup ! No shame there! Play your butts off while the midi file does the rest. Very satisfing, legit form of entertainment. Don't be afraid to use the tools of the trade to YOUR advantage.

#220794 - 11/18/04 11:33 AM Re: Playing along with Midi Files
Tom NL Offline

Loc: Holland
Quote:
Very satisfing, legit form of entertainment. Don't be afraid to use the tools of the trade to YOUR advantage.

Well put Uncle Dave! I think it's nice to hear a musician of your professional level say this. I totally agree.

------------------
Tom NL

#220795 - 11/18/04 02:28 PM Re: Playing along with Midi Files
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
Thanks for the back-up!

------------------
Roy-Andrč

#220796 - 11/18/04 03:26 PM Re: Playing along with Midi Files
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
I like to add one comment on the other good comments!

Playing along with midi files is a excellent method to learn and practice TIMING!

I recommand anybody playing an instrument to play along with midifiles for a while!

Fred

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online