SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#220134 - 08/17/05 02:18 PM Recording Tyros styles as MIDI
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Does anyone know how I can record my Tyros styles as MIDI in a way that it includes all the information? ie: reverb, pan, volume, program etc, levels?

When I record to Cubase, I get all the notes, but some of the instruments don't come through in their original form (often they become a piano), and the levels are often not correct.

Thanks, Chony.

#220135 - 08/17/05 02:30 PM Re: Recording Tyros styles as MIDI
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Chony,

I understand that one thing which sets Yamaha styles apart from the others is that you can actually rename them with the .MID extension, and view them in a typical sequencer (without the need to convert). The markers in the resulting MIDI file identify style parts, so do not muck around with them; however, if you want to look at them, it is way easier than to look inside the style files for any other brand.

Disclaimer: I do not own a Yamaha keyboard, and have no personal experience in doing this. Please let us know if you have had success doing this.

Good luck,
Alex

#220136 - 08/17/05 11:39 PM Re: Recording Tyros styles as MIDI
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
If you view Yamaha Styles in Cakewalk you don't even need to rename to.mid as Cakewalk will load .sty

#220137 - 08/18/05 01:58 AM Re: Recording Tyros styles as MIDI
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi

Be careful.

Most sequencer software can NOT the extra non-MIDI data in style files.

Use my Style Split and Splice software before and after editing style files in MIDI sequencer software.
http://home7.inet.tele.dk/js/sands/index.htm

Jørgen

#220138 - 08/18/05 02:50 PM Re: Recording Tyros styles as MIDI
chony Offline

Thank you everyone - but it seems I didn't explain myself.

What I'm trying to do is record a full song into MIDI using my Tyros styles and sounds. Aterwards, I want to be able to edit it (ie take out a note here and there.) The problem is that the keyboard only seems to send out the 'note on/off' messages, and not the reverb, program, pan, etc. This is what I'm trying to get around.

Thanks jorgen... but I'm a Mac user!

Chony

#220139 - 08/19/05 03:55 AM Re: Recording Tyros styles as MIDI
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi

No problem with Mac.

Look here: http://home7.inet.tele.dk/js/software/other.htm

Jørgen

#220140 - 08/19/05 05:09 AM Re: Recording Tyros styles as MIDI
Michael P. Bedesem Offline

Loc: Shrewsbury, VT
The problem of setting up the PSR voices for Cakewalk or other sequencers is confusing and troublesome. Because the PSR/Tyros will only setup panel voices properly when selected on the instrument (effects, eq are not added when the same voice is selected in Cakewalk or MidiPlayer!), you really are forced to work from the instrument. And there is no setup dump available for the PSRs.

To setup the voices and effects on Cakewalk, etc, here are the choices:

1) Use Multi Record to make a brief midi on the PSR with the channels setup as you want and then load this into Cakewalk via floppy and use it as a template for recording.

2) With Cakewalk recording, depress the PSR keyboard buttons for the voices etc that you want. If you are recording using Main, this will output on Channel 1. You will need to redirect this data to the correct track at Cakewalk or modify the Function/Midi/Edit/Transmit setting so the PSR sends Ch1 on the desired track. You can speed up this process by creating a registration and then depressing it while Cakewalk is running but be aware that this will have data from Ch1, 2, 3. You will want Cakewalk to record only the channels you are using and to the correct tracks.

To make things easier, I made a 'template midi', called MutltiTrackMidi, available at www.svpworld.com/beta that can be loaded into the PSR, edited at one time to select voices, and then moved to your sequencer to set up a a multitrack recording session.

To use this template:

1) Load MultiTrackMidi_Tyros.mid into the PSR/Tyros

2) Open Mixing Console song pages and make all your voice changes

3) Open Digital Recording/ Song Creator, tab to the Channel tab, scroll down to Setup and make sure only the top 7 items are checked. Depress Execute and then Save. Use a new name as to not overwrite the template midi.

4) Load your file into Cakewalk or your sequencer and record. Note that there is one note in each track (C5) that you will want to remove before putting your own data there. Leave this one note for any 'empty' channel where you might want to go back and change the PSR voice. It is needed to fool the PSR into allowing the Mixing Console/ Song Creator to edit the voice.

#220141 - 08/19/05 06:14 AM Re: Recording Tyros styles as MIDI
Tomcat Offline

Loc: Ft Collins Colorado, USA
Hi Michael,

Do you by any chance know why Yamaha did not enable DSP selection along with panel voice selection from a computer sequencer? It almost seems like it was a mistake; that they simply weren't paying attention and let the lack of it slip through the cracks of burocracy, ie, no one actually in charge of seeing it got done. It certainly does reduce the usefullness of the Tyros with Cubase, Sonar, etc.

On the other hand, maybe they had a specific reason for not doing it that I don't know about; if so I would certainly like to know why.

Tom

------------------
Bigger is not always better

#220142 - 08/19/05 01:43 PM Re: Recording Tyros styles as MIDI
chony Offline

Thanks everyone,

I'm going away for a week now, but I'll definitely be trying all your ideas when I get back!

I wish they would somehow incorporate this and make it more software sequencer friendly...

Thanks, Chony.

#220143 - 08/20/05 06:24 AM Re: Recording Tyros styles as MIDI
Michael P. Bedesem Offline

Loc: Shrewsbury, VT
I do not know why.

I suspect that when you select a panel voice on the instrument that you are really selecting a registration that does the work of selecting the voice, dsp, eq etc.

There is no means of selecting registrations externally. If they used the registration "technique", they they would have found themselves with no way to reference them.

It is a serious issue for many users, and is made all the worse since it is not disclosed anywhere. Most everyone end up 'discovering' it the hard way.

The template solution is not ideal, but it does provide a workaround.

Regards,

Michael

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomcat:

Do you by any chance know why Yamaha did not enable DSP selection along with panel voice selection from a computer sequencer?

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online