SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#219966 - 01/06/03 08:30 PM PSR9000 question
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I just installed 64 mgs of ram in the new psr9000 but the sampler says I havae 6 minutes 20 seconds of sample time as in 32 mgs. The manual states that is what it will say.
The Info file that comes up as a screen saver states that there is 32 mgs of sample ram.
I installed a like pair of 32 mg boards
Why is this???
Whe doesn't it show 64 mgs of ram.
Why install 64 if it is only going to acknowledge 32mgs.
I have never seen this before
Any thoughts on this are appreciated.
BEBOP

#219967 - 01/06/03 09:05 PM Re: PSR9000 question
rgtaa Offline

i get the same message when i go to record.

Make 5 or 6 Samples and place them in the storage area ... then go to record another ...and the 6 minutes is still there!
You got 12 minutes of Total Sampling time... but the longest a sample can be is 6 minutes. But most samples are only a few seconds a piece... unless you decide to load a WAV song or Comedy skit ...into the Sampler...
Where the 12 minutes comes in handy is when you LOAD the Sample Banks with 30 ro 40 WAV's from the INTERNET ... or comedy skits, or Funny Stuff...and add them in song!
Without the extra MEGS you only have 11 seconds of Stored Time! But now you can Load Ton's of Wav's into your Hard Drive ...into Different Folders ... 64 megs a folder... then LOAD 12 mintues at a time into your Sampler! of ALL types of samples!

#219968 - 01/07/03 12:01 PM Re: PSR9000 question
BEBOP Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by rgtaa:
i get the same message when i go to record.

Make 5 or 6 Samples and place them in the storage area ... then go to record another ...and the 6 minutes is still there!
You got 12 minutes of Total Sampling time... but the longest a sample can be is 6 minutes. But most samples are only a few seconds a piece... unless you decide to load a WAV song or Comedy skit ...into the Sampler...
Where the 12 minutes comes in handy is when you LOAD the Sample Banks with 30 ro 40 WAV's from the INTERNET ... or comedy skits, or Funny Stuff...and add them in song!
Without the extra MEGS you only have 11 seconds of Stored Time! But now you can Load Ton's of Wav's into your Hard Drive ...into Different Folders ... 64 megs a folder... then LOAD 12 mintues at a time into your Sampler! of ALL types of samples!

Thank you for your reply. Looks Like I may be ok then.
Your reply brings up another question.
How to get those big wav files into this keyboard. The only way that occurs to me if they are bigger then a floppy would be to burn them to a cdrw and then load them in from there. Would they be best on the Keyboard harddrive or in custome voices or??
Kindly advise and thankyou for your time and advise.
Bebop

#219969 - 01/07/03 04:56 PM Re: PSR9000 question
rgtaa Offline

I guess I mostly get 1 wav smaller than 1.4meg ... and load into hard drive ..then I load Coustom Banks.

Also Since you have MIC imput on PSR ...you could go from OUTPUT of Sound CARD on PC into PRS9000 and switch to LINE (3rd position on mic input) on PSR!
You can Play the wav's on Computer and instead of Sampling your mic ... record the PC WAVE directly into Sampler!
Make 64 meg WAV folders and then Load in Costum BanK!

#219970 - 01/07/03 05:20 PM Re: PSR9000 question
Dave Thomas Offline

Hello, I've found this info on the Yamaha Solutions Network website.

Verifying the Total SIMM Memory Capacity after Installation on a PSR9000.

The PSR9000 Owner's Manual (Version 1, p. 128; Version 2, p. 162) states that after installing SIMM memory, the 'REMAIN TIME' value in the 'SAMPLING/RECORDING' screen will match the total amount of memory (in seconds) on user-installed SIMMs. Actually, the 'REMAIN TIME' value displays the maximum amount of sample time (in seconds) available for a single Sample. Since the maximum amount of total sample time can be up to 772.7 seconds (64MB), and the maximum size of a single Sample can only be up to 380 seconds (32MB), the 'REMAIN TIME' value does not necessarily reflect the TOTAL available SIMM memory.

For an accurate determination of the total SIMM memory capacity after installation, the PSR9000 must be put into 'TEST' mode and then the SIMM Memory Check must be performed.

1) Press and hold down the [DEMO], [EXIT] and [II] 'INTRO' buttons simultaneously then power ON the keyboard.

2) Press the [NEXT] button repeatedly until '007:SIMM Chk1' is displayed in the screen.

3) Press the [START/STOP] button. The screen will display the current total SIMM memory.

4) Power the keyboard OFF and then ON to return the keyboard to normal operation.

Reference: PSR9000, Version 1 (SIMM Installation, Step 5, Note), p. 128
Reference: PSR9000, Version 2 (SIMM Installation, Step 5, Note), p. 162

I Hope this helps,

Dave.

#219971 - 01/07/03 06:07 PM Re: PSR9000 question
rgtaa Offline

Bebop!
I just read your first post again.. and you say system info says 32 megs ... check on second Page of System INFO ... it should say 65meg ... check it!

I am sitting next to psr9000 and just checked the message ...and second page says WAVE RAM 65 mg
coustom voice 32/32

#219972 - 01/07/03 07:16 PM Re: PSR9000 question
BEBOP Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Thomas:
Hello, I've found this info on the Yamaha Solutions Network website.

Verifying the Total SIMM Memory Capacity after Installation on a PSR9000.

The PSR9000 Owner's Manual (Version 1, p. 128; Version 2, p. 162) states that after installing SIMM memory, the 'REMAIN TIME' value in the 'SAMPLING/RECORDING' screen will match the total amount of memory (in seconds) on user-installed SIMMs. Actually, the 'REMAIN TIME' value displays the maximum amount of sample time (in seconds) available for a single Sample. Since the maximum amount of total sample time can be up to 772.7 seconds (64MB), and the maximum size of a single Sample can only be up to 380 seconds (32MB), the 'REMAIN TIME' value does not necessarily reflect the TOTAL available SIMM memory.

For an accurate determination of the total SIMM memory capacity after installation, the PSR9000 must be put into 'TEST' mode and then the SIMM Memory Check must be performed.

1) Press and hold down the [DEMO], [EXIT] and [II] 'INTRO' buttons simultaneously then power ON the keyboard.

2) Press the [NEXT] button repeatedly until '007:SIMM Chk1' is displayed in the screen.

3) Press the [START/STOP] button. The screen will display the current total SIMM memory.

4) Power the keyboard OFF and then ON to return the keyboard to normal operation.

Reference: PSR9000, Version 1 (SIMM Installation, Step 5, Note), p. 128
Reference: PSR9000, Version 2 (SIMM Installation, Step 5, Note), p. 162

I Hope this helps,

Dave.

Thank you Dave, that worked and it sez I have 64 mgs. Thank you guys for your help and your willingness to always HELP everyone. You all are great
Bebop

#219973 - 01/07/03 07:26 PM Re: PSR9000 question
BEBOP Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by rgtaa:
Bebop!
I just read your first post again.. and you say system info says 32 megs ... check on second Page of System INFO ... it should say 65meg ... check it!

I am sitting next to psr9000 and just checked the message ...and second page says WAVE RAM 65 mg
coustom voice 32/32

RGTAA,
You are exactly right as that is exactly what it sez.
I just knew you guys would know all the right answers.
My skeptism results from the fact that my wife bought me for christmas 2 sticks of memory of 32 mgs each from the local GC. I looked at them and could readilly see that they were totally different in manufacturer name, structure and chips. One was sealed and one had been opened and you could look at it and see it had been installed and removed, from the scratches on the mail plug in. OF COURSE THEY DIDN"T WORK She took them back and they readilly refunded the 99.98 cents plus tax 108.23 with out argument.
We then went to Frys Electronics and bought the two sticks for 70.00 plus tax and they were a pair, unopened and obviously the correct chips.
Thank you to all that responded in the forums and by email. I do appreciate you all
BEBOP

#219974 - 01/07/03 07:42 PM Re: PSR9000 question
rgtaa Offline

Bebop!
If you got a Dog!
See if you can get him to bark near the mic! Or make a sample of someone Calling His Name!
Then play it back in sample!
Have FUN!
Let us know what you come up with ... in getting FUNNY or Weird or different ways to use the Sampler!
I have alot of fun with mine!
I usually think of 3 or 4 lines i'm working on for a song...then say the Words into 3 or 4 samples...then insert in song! or sing them!
Lately I've been playing xbox games online! So I made one song up ... as a joke ...saying " I'm gonna Run you OVER with my CAR" ... "pedal to the metal" ... then using them in song... then made mp3 of it ... and sent it to my Racing Buddy!

#219975 - 01/07/03 08:42 PM Re: PSR9000 question
BEBOP Offline

I got my first sampler many years ago and in fact I still have it. Ensoniq EPS 16 Plus Turbo with a hard drive.
I near drove my dog Rocky to leave home when I first got it. He hates it.
Rocky dog stays in the studio with me all the time I am on this computer but the minute he sees the recording rack and effects rack light up he is gone and hid in a far corner of the house.
Poor dog hates music
Bebop

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online