SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#219946 - 05/26/06 03:06 PM Scott and I were talking...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
While talking about performing songs and making them our own,,I told Scott I like to do a song and give it a completely different feel to it..I through out a quick example like maybe a song like Canadian Sunset with an Acid funk feel..Scott said that sounds interesting..and would I record it..
So I just now quickly[and I mean quickly] played an arrangement[one take..naturally, with reflections..not mistakes]
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=6F4D47630913556F

#219947 - 05/26/06 03:18 PM Re: Scott and I were talking...
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Fran:

Interesting result As I read your post prior to listening to Canadian Sunset I thought, man this has got to be a great way to ruin a great song as I could almost hear Eddy Heywood playing the song. WRONG! The Acid Funk style fits it well, I think the electric piano suited the song best. Nice work, I enjoyed it!

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 05-26-2006).]

#219948 - 05/26/06 05:26 PM Re: Scott and I were talking...
Dnj Offline

Fran....I love when someone plays out of the Box....it gives a song a refreshing sound & new feeling especially to ears that have heard it so many times before in its original form! This Acid Funk styles works real well & its all in the timing that makes it fit in and work as with almost any styles. Great job Gumba you nailed it !!
I hope to hear many more SZ members try to do songs in different styles in this fashion also, I do this a lot myself when performing....if I get time I'll try to post one of mine....Great Topic!!

#219949 - 05/26/06 11:24 PM Re: Scott and I were talking...
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Fran,
I am unable to download the song; I keep receveing a message saying that the server is taking too much time to respond. I will try again later, because I would love to hear your rendition.

#219950 - 05/27/06 04:22 AM Re: Scott and I were talking...
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
I manage to get to the first page of the link seeing the file available for download, I then get The page cannot be displayed error message when clicking on download now or if I right click on the file and do save as all I get then is invalid or unrecognised response error.
Will keep trying later

#219951 - 05/27/06 05:36 AM Re: Scott and I were talking...
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Neat one Fran. One of the exercises I used to do was to play a country song, "Lucille", using every style in the keyboard. It was a fun thing to do and it keeps your chops solid. Give it a try and you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#219952 - 05/27/06 05:52 AM Re: Scott and I were talking...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
When I started my job last night, there were only a couple of tables of diners, so I just went through about a dozen or so styles one by one, and started playing. It's a challenge to start the style then quickly think of a song to play with it. A good way to familiarize yourself with the keyboard.
DonM

#219953 - 05/27/06 06:16 AM Re: Scott and I were talking...
Fran Carango Offline

I uploaded the file again[maybe it exceeded the download limit]..

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=FE207AFB25E0E72E

#219954 - 05/27/06 06:47 AM Re: Scott and I were talking...
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
While talking about performing songs and making them our own,I told Scott I like to do a song and give it a completely different feel to it.

Yes, this is why I chose an arranger keyboard in the first place. The advantage of arrangers is that they offer us a most convenient way to discover new styles to go with the so often 'all too familiar' standards, and the reason I play in arranger mode, and not utilize commerical smfs. Fran, the mellow funk groove you chose for "Canadian Sunset" is definitely becoming a popular contemporary groove used for many of the old standards. As evidence, you may want to checkout the music album of Jamie Cullum: "TwentySomething"

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 05-27-2006).]

#219955 - 05/27/06 07:09 AM Re: Scott and I were talking...
Fran Carango Offline

Scott, that Twenty Something is still a swing pattern to me..The Acid Funk beat I used has an underlying back beat to the overall style..

The Funk beats to me sound/feel like a swing and a hip hop meshed together in a working way..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online