SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#219272 - 06/30/06 12:29 PM Re: Hit song by Gwen Stefani
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Let's be serious here. How many of you here actually listen to Gwen Stefani? This song falls under "Pop/Mainstream Pop".

The majority of the music shared and and posted by members here is Ballroom, jazz, blues, rock, and more traditional styles.

Do you really think it's fair to be critical of this artists style of music on "this" forum?

Be reasonable now. I listen to Hip Hop, Rap, R&B, as well as some of the more traditonal styles too. Even though I'm more into modern styles... do you see posts by me and the few others here (who actually listen to this music) being degrading towards singers such as Frank Sinatra and countless other musicians associated with this style of music?

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 06-30-2006).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#219273 - 07/03/06 06:00 AM Re: Hit song by Gwen Stefani
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Let's be serious here. How many of you here actually listen to Gwen Stefani?

Do you really think it's fair to be critical of this artists style of music on "this" forum?

Squeak
[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 06-30-2006).]

Squeak... admittedly, I, at age 65, do not listen to very much mainstream 'pop' music, and I am not critisizing anyone who does, nor am I critisizing anyone's talent ...
HOWEVER, the post was put on 'this' forum, so why can't I express my opinion on this forum? ... I am not putting anyone down who wants to listen to today's 'pop' music (my kids listen to it) ... BUT I reserve the right to listen to, play, and comment on music, regardless of who is performing it ...
Also, I feel very strongly that, in a world that needs a LOT more gentleness and compassion, bringing what I would call 'locker room' language into 'mainstream pop' adds nothing to our society ... the more we permit a lower standard, the lower our standards become as a society ... I personally don't want to contribute to that legacy ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 07-03-2006).]

#219274 - 07/03/06 07:02 AM Re: Hit song by Gwen Stefani
Dnj Offline

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-03-2006).]

#219275 - 07/03/06 07:03 AM Re: Hit song by Gwen Stefani
Dnj Offline

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-03-2006).]

#219276 - 07/03/06 07:15 AM Re: Hit song by Gwen Stefani
squeak_D Offline

Tony,
I understand where you're coming from, and I too agree that yes the standards have gone "much" lower. That's just today's music industry for you. I blame it all on Elvis He started shaking his hips then it all went down hill from there

You of course have the right to post your opinion about anything. I personally wasn't offended by it. Since I've been a member on this forum, I've noticed that the "mainstream" in terms of music on this forum or more classic traditional styles of music. I'm sure there are very few members here who share my taste in music. I just felt it was a little unfair to judge Gwen on this forum when (from what I've seen) the majority of the members do not either listen to or even play this style of music.

There's actual a good meaning behind this song..., even though the lyrics are a bit colorful Example: If you've seen the video Gwen is dressed as a cheerleader. If you know Gwen's history--she herself use to be a cheerleader. We all know how highschool was with the clicks and groups, and cheerleaders well--you know where I'm going with that.

Gwen is poking a little fun at cheerleaders because she knows what goes on not just by what you see, but from her own personal experience as one herself. She's basically saying in this song "I ain't gonna be no punk".. Meaning not a follower. She's promoting individualtiy--being yourself and not going with the crowd.

So even though the lyrics are somewhat vulgar and unacceptable to some. Today's youth related to the meaning of the song. Geez I can only imagine what my baby girl's going to be listening to

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 07-03-2006).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#219277 - 07/03/06 07:32 AM Re: Hit song by Gwen Stefani
tony mads usa Offline

squeak ... not being an MTV or VH 1 watcher, I have not seen the video, but the lyrics sound like someone was talking trash about her and she is ready to settle it by a fight in the bleachers ... and yes, being an old f@rt the lyrics bother me because it also bothers me to hear 9 - 10 year old boys and girls dropping this and other language including the 'f' bomb with regularity -
The same messages were given in the past without explicit language ...
Believe me, one good thing about being MY age, is that at least MY kids are grown ... although I am concerned about my grandkids ...
If you are concerned about what your daughter will be listening to, you had better make your voice be heard now, my friend ...
t.

#219278 - 07/03/06 07:40 AM Re: Hit song by Gwen Stefani
squeak_D Offline

I already take precautions with my child when it comes to vulgar music. My wife as do I have some music that's not acceptable to my child. However, it's NEVER played for her to hear. If it's played in a room--she's not there, and it's not blasting for her to hear. Plus we use MP3 players

There are some songs my child listens to such as "Pussy Cat Dolls", and a few other's, but she's not exposed to the un-cut albums. At her age she likes the beat, and just wants to dance with her mother.

I can only hope as she gets older she'll listen to her parents--but now-a-days what child really does You can raise them right and only hope that what you teach them sinks in.

Squeak

#219279 - 07/03/06 07:58 AM Re: Hit song by Gwen Stefani
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
It’s a hot topic – Should it be on this forum? The man is a big contributor to this forum, he’s venting a bit, why not.

Let’s keep it from going over the edge and accept the opinions from our friends as their opinions, and to be respected as their opinions, as I we wish our opinions to be respected.

My thoughts ---
Aaaaah, I guess Squeak said it all with his statement ---

“Geez I can only imagine what my baby girl's going to be listening to”.
Squeak

I am a senior with four children and 11 grandchildren – I feel that gives me some credentials when it comes to what happens when parents do not step up to what their true responsibilities; providing the best environment for their children. If you accept the present environment I feel you must accept responsibility for what happens when the your children are grown and on their way. Accept it, because you have a lot to do with what they become.

So we do have control of certain things and music environment is one of them. Do what you will.

Thanks Gary for your post.

John C.

[This message has been edited by bruno123 (edited 07-03-2006).]

#219280 - 07/03/06 08:13 AM Re: Hit song by Gwen Stefani
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Steve Allen used to do a really funny bit. He read the lyrics to modern songs as if they were news stories...sort of the same effect as reading the lyrics to this song without music, video, etc.

Somewhat agree about the dumbing down of America and the subsequent effect on popular
(read media driven)culture. Yet I'm really a freedom of speach person and fear it would be really easy to let censorship dominate what happens, mediawise.

Squeak has the right approach...monitor the stuff his child isn't old enough to process yet. Tony, I understand your concerns and see your well-state point.

It's tough finding the right answers to this one!

Russ

#219281 - 07/03/06 09:23 AM Re: Hit song by Gwen Stefani
tony mads usa Offline

I remember Steve reading "Be Bop A Lula,... she's my baby ... ...

Of course, people's opinions are to be accepted, and minds made up based on what fits our individuals needs ...

I still am concerned about, as Russ put it, the 'media driven' culture ... squeak is no doubt doing a good job monitoring what his daughter listens to and watches - unfortunately my kids are 40 yrs and 37 years, so I really can't monitor what THEY are listening to - fortunately though, they also monitor their kids entertainment ... but these types of lyrics are being played on the radio and most parents don't have the time/opportunity to monitor what their kids are listening to ... and even if they are, do they know what happens when their kids go to a friend's house ??? ...
It bothers me to think that some 'suits' in offices are hearing this stuff (and I am obviously not talking just about this one song) and saying "yeah, this is good entertainment, let's sell it ..."
I also realize I sound like my father and mother talking about Elvis ...

I am really glad I don't have small children, because I KNOW they would HATE me ...
t.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online