SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#2192 - 09/14/04 10:19 AM Any organ players ever play a Kurz PC2?
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
It's me again,

Any and all comments welcomed!

The short of it...
Options I'm considering:
1) Kurzweil PC2/O (76 key) with Roland XV-2020 now, later (6-12 months later) adding Roland VK-8M or
2) Roland VR-760.

I think option 1 is much better, but feel is crucial.

The long of it...

I'm fishing for opinions of a select group. I've recently hooked up with some new fellas and in this group my main focus will be on B3 style organ playing. Until recently I've never played this style; moving drawbars, starting and stoping the leslie/rotary effects, PALM swipes, etc. B3 playing is much different from piano playing and/or pads and strings. Right now I have an XP-80 (w/ Session and Orch I), a JV-90, an XV-2020 (w/ Ultimate Keys) and an Yammy S90 (w/ DX plug-in). The best sounding organ sounds are found in my S90. So I brought this with me on our last gig and the sound was excellent. The S90 is a bit overkill for this use, it's big, it's heavy, it's fully weighted, but I love the board. So I've been thinking about selling off my current Roland equipment for a VR-760. I want to have great pianos and synth sounds at my disposal. As far as synth sounds I really want warm rich pads and excellent strings, that's about it. But I thought about selling my XP-80 and JV-90, the SRX-07 Ultimate Keys expansion card, but keeping the XV-2020 and buying a Kurzweil PC2 (76 key version) and later adding a Roland VK-8M.

In my mind this may be the way to go. I would think I'd have much better control using the PC2 over a VR-760. I've heard the PC2's KB3 mode and was very impressed, but it lacks the real-time drawbar editing, but the KB3 could get me by for 6-12 months, while I learn swipes and effects control, until I could add a VK-8M.

But here's the big question. Feel. Have any of you guys played a PC2 using B3 techniques? I really need to have the waterfall type keys as opposed to the sythkeys of the XP-80 and JV-90. Therein lies my reason for a new keyboard(keybed). Otherwise I'd just get a VK-8M and play it through the XP-80. I have read many articles from great b3 players and the consensus is, waterfall keys a must for good palm swipes. The PC2's keys do have that front face (waterfall).

Thanks for your thoughts.
Bob
<><

#2193 - 09/14/04 10:48 AM Re: Any organ players ever play a Kurz PC2?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Bob the Kurz is a better 4 zone controller, but if you need it to controll the Roland VK module and use the 2020 for pianos..I would just go for the VR-760..The Kurz is a simulated piano feel..do you like playing organ on a piano?..The VR760 ia an excellent organ playing keypad, it also has a quick response parameter for playing organ at super fast speed and licks..The pianos ,both acoustic and Electric[especially Electric] are very good..Scat sounds are a must for me,not on thee 2020[need vocal card]. For all around players dream , the VR shines[also 36 lbs], much lighter than the Kurz and the modules..Much quicker set ups...you are ready to go in seconds..

You can't go wrong with the Kurz /Roland combination..but I think the VR760 will serve you better in the Piano/organ world..

#2194 - 09/24/04 01:38 PM Re: Any organ players ever play a Kurz PC2?
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Hey Fran.. you ready for this....?

Not going with the VR-760, or any other B3 clone....Not going with a Kurz PC2 either..., Not going Nord Electro either... I'm gonna sell;
Roland XP-80
SR-JV80-09 Session
SR-JV80-02 Orch I
XV-2020
SRX-07 Ultimate Keys
and my Roland JV-90 (If I have to)
Yamaha DX200 (if I have to)

And buying;

You ready? A Yamaha ES7.

Imagine?

I'm going strickly Yamaha. S90 and ES7. When I absolutely need the weighted keys, S90 comes with me, oterwise ES7 comes with me.

Wild huh?

Peace
Bob
<><

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online