SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#219032 - 06/25/02 09:26 AM Backup battery went ka-boom
Vic01 Offline

Loc: Madison, Wisconsin USA
Hi all. A couple of days ago the battery that backs up the dram on my keyboard exploded !! Fortunately there was no fire or damaged to the board. The battery is (was) a 5 volt ni-cd made up of 4 1.25 volt button cells. The top cell blew off and I found pieces scattered through out the insides of the board. Any one else ever have this happen ? I replaced the battery and all seems ok now.

#219033 - 06/25/02 09:58 AM Re: Backup battery went ka-boom
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Scary... No I haven't had that happen. Glad to hear that your board does not appear to suffer any permanent damage.. I had an early version Korg M1 workstation somewhere around the end of the 80s that had some horrible battery issues, but none blew up.

Once though, nearly 20 years ago, after my car had been parked for over 2 hrs, the battery exploded inside of it. I was a good distance away from it at the time and I didn't realize what had happened. I was in NY city and the explosion sounded like a loud gunshot... it wasn't until I tried to start it that I realized there might be a battery problem. When I opened the hood, half the battery was gone and what a mess...
Still, what was left of it almost turned the engine over. Being young, relatively broke, and in no mood to spend the evening in the city, and not desiring to pay exorbitant service and towing rates, I simply got in the car, pushed it and jump started her ( it was a Dodge Colt..very light and easy to push to "jump start speed".

I made it all the way home ( about 40 miles at the time ) on half a battery, including one point where the car stalled and what was left of the battery had enough juice to restart it.

#219034 - 06/25/02 12:47 PM Re: Backup battery went ka-boom
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi Vic01,
I haven`t had that happen to a KB, But I had a rechargable calculator once and was recharging it and "all of a sudden"--KaBoom , it blew the calculator to bits --No fire just a mess
jedi

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online