SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#218796 - 10/04/06 07:48 PM Chord Data In Midi Files
deatonent Offline

Loc: Tazewell, VA, USA
I need learn how to add (embed) chord data into midi files so the vocal harmonizer can be triggered. I've checked the owner manual (PSR 3000), www.psrtutorial.com, and the search function of SZ but can't find what I need. I find several references to using the VH with existing chord data but I need to know how to get the chord data into the midi file in the first place. I saw a reference to using a sequencer program in a PC but it still didn't make clear how to actually do it. I have Pro Tools LE, PowerTracks Pro V.11, Pro 4, and XG Works V.3 but no clue as to how to place the needed chord data into the file in such a way to allow the VH in the PSR3000 to recognize it.
Thanks,
Deaton

#218797 - 10/05/06 04:10 AM Re: Chord Data In Midi Files
Michael P. Bedesem Offline

Loc: Shrewsbury, VT
The program PSRUTI will do it for you and it is free.
http://www.heikoplate.de/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=67&Itemid=44

Regards,

Michael

#218798 - 10/05/06 06:15 AM Re: Chord Data In Midi Files
apchopper Offline

Loc: Sterling, VA, USA
Michael,
I am very sorry but I tried to use PSRUTI
specifically for this purpose and unfortinately it was unable to do the job for me. I contacted the developer with my questions, he promptly answered but based on his answers I realized that this feature either doesn't work or not very user-friendly. Please understand that I am not bashing the program. It is a good apllication but it just can't be used for generation of a MIDI file with a required chord progression. Busker v3.1 is much better for this purpose but it is not free and you can't change styles when you play it using your Yamaha keyboard.

Best regards,

Alex

#218799 - 10/05/06 10:51 AM Re: Chord Data In Midi Files
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
IMO another utility is needed, that can glean chord changes from an existing MIDI or "quick record" made on the PSR. The utility program would then _append_ these chord changes to the end of the midi file in Yamaha XF meta-event format, such that when the file is imported into a PSR-1000+, changes would appear on the "CHORD" tab in song creator.

This would allow one to make further changes on the PSR, and re-"expand" into a full midi. IMO the power of the CHORD tab and EXPAND function is underutilized in the current OS, where its use is limited to "step" recording.

I kept waiting for this functionality to be added via OS upgrade, but so far no joy. The trick is to emulate the data, in the same format it appears at the end of the file when one does a "step record". It's not that difficult to figure out. I have studied it and think I understand the meaning of the bytes. But I lack the programming skill to create a GUI utility for this purpose.

Perhaps Michael Bedesem, Heiko Plate, Paul Tumelty or someone else will read this message and give it a try!

Ted S.
North Texas USA

[This message has been edited by TedS (edited 10-05-2006).]

#218800 - 10/05/06 11:11 AM Re: Chord Data In Midi Files
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
I'm trying to do something similiar while playing a MIDI on the SD1. In my case, I'm wanting to have the vocalist play back an embeded harmony line while I'm singing the lead. I believe it requires sysex encoding, which is a real mystery to me. Anybody know how to bring sysex out of the black box and easy to understand?

Glenn

#218801 - 10/05/06 12:14 PM Re: Chord Data In Midi Files
Michael P. Bedesem Offline

Loc: Shrewsbury, VT
My understanding is that PSRUTI can identify chords used in a recorded midi, and can save then as Yamaha Chord Events. As far as I know (I do not use the VH), the harmonizer uses these Yamaha Chord Events to trigger the effect.

If you want to add chord events that are not related to the midi you can import chords from a file. You could also use a program from Yamaha called XF Tool that is available free at http://home20.inet.tele.dk/morsor/psr/xftool.zip. or XGWorks

Step recording, where you enter chords in to SongCreator and then Expand the song with your choice of a style, uses different "chords" from the chord events used by the vocal harmonizer. I do not know of any program that allows generating these on the PC.

I have fooled the PSR into using a BIAB file to trigger the accompaniment. See: http://www.svpworld.com/forum/faq/faq_body.asp#_Toc139103981

Regards,

Michael

Quote:
Originally posted by apchopper:
Michael,
I am very sorry but I tried to use PSRUTI
specifically for this purpose and unfortinately it was unable to do the job for me. I contacted the developer with my questions, he promptly answered but based on his answers I realized that this feature either doesn't work or not very user-friendly. Please understand that I am not bashing the program. It is a good apllication but it just can't be used for generation of a MIDI file with a required chord progression. Busker v3.1 is much better for this purpose but it is not free and you can't change styles when you play it using your Yamaha keyboard.

Best regards,

Alex

[This message has been edited by Michael P. Bedesem (edited 10-05-2006).]

#218802 - 10/05/06 12:22 PM Re: Chord Data In Midi Files
jwyvern Offline

I'm not too sure if this would help, but in Tyros it is possible to record a midi chord sequence in the multipads (with looping enabled if wanted, in just one button or different sequences in up to all 4 buttons), and have the chord sequence "drive" a Style through midi as if the pads were playing the left hand. If required you can also set the keyboard up so you can play over its length- say a piano piece - at the same time without worrying about whether the correct backing chords are being triggered manually because the pads are in control. It's a bit like using a midi backing song, but more easily turned off and on and looped, and with a choice of up to four easily accessible.
It works with Vocal Harmony also.

It involves setting up a simple Midi template for Tyros and linking midi out (from the pads) to midi in (chord detect) via cable.
I can post more detail if required. Sorry I don't know if it can be made to work in other arrangers including PSR3000, but I'm sure others will be able to comment.

John

#218803 - 10/05/06 04:38 PM Re: Chord Data In Midi Files
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
All these concerns spotlight exactly WHY I like to trigger my harmonies from the RIGHT hand. I get to voice the harmony myself, and use passing tones and fine nuances that are impossible when simply following a standard chord chart.

think about it.
Give a listen to my demo of "Nightengale" and you'll see how effective it can be when triggered in real time from my chording RIGHT hand.
www.boydsongs.com

#218804 - 10/05/06 06:18 PM Re: Chord Data In Midi Files
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Give a listen to my demo of "Nightengale" and you'll see how effective it can be when triggered in real time from my chording RIGHT hand

I've tried that, with limited success. It certainly worked very well for 'Nightengale'. For me, however, there always seens to be more important things th be doing with my right hand.

Glenn

#218805 - 10/05/06 07:09 PM Re: Chord Data In Midi Files
deatonent Offline

Loc: Tazewell, VA, USA
Thanks for the info. My PowerTracks Pro V.11 will do an analysis and determine the chords in a midi file but I don't know how to embed the results as chord data. PT Pro may do it but if so I don't know how. The PSR3000 manual states very clearly that the vocal harmonizer will recognize and provide harmony based on "chord data" in midi files but does not tell how to get that chord data into the midi file. In some post several months (or years?) ago I seem to recall someone saying that the chord data had to be saved in a track or channel by itself. I'll try the PSRUTI.
Best Regards,
Deaton

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online