SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#218473 - 09/19/05 04:42 PM Logitech z5500
Yamiguy Offline

Hi all,
I'm getting ready to get a few things and i was wondering if the subwoofer of the z5500 would work for my DJ setup. I will use it for my live setup too of course...but i'm not sure how i'd hook it up for dj. Currently i'm using a yorkville 10" powered sub that hooks into my 2nd jack in the back of my speaker. Do I hook the z5500 sub the same way?
Also....do you think it will be powerful enough for DJ applications? I know its a 10" speaker...just like my current yorkville....but its a lot smaller and lighter...so thats the appeal. But i need something that would punch for crowds of up to 300 at a wedding. Usually i'll only need to worry about the sub for the dance floor area tho....so that would be less than 100 on the floor. I'm using 12" Community mains.
I know its a bit off topic...but i dont want to purchase the z5500 for my live act unless i can also use it for dj work also, since i dont do a lot of regular live work.
Thanks for your help!
Larry :-)
(dont know how to use that message icon thing lol )

#218474 - 09/19/05 06:40 PM Re: Logitech z5500
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Larry,never having heard the Z5500, I am going to assume it is designed for home entertainment as the other Logitech systems are designed.

As you know, DJ work, you better have the "Big" bottom to handle dance music. I'm not sure you can get it from this small system.

Larry, I just re-read your post..Do I understand correct, you are going to use the Yorkville sub woofer instead of the Logitech sub?
If so[not knowing the model Yorkville], it may work for you..

BTW, I use a 700 watt Yorkville subwoofer, and it will carry any room/or outdoors..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 09-19-2005).]

#218475 - 09/19/05 07:22 PM Re: Logitech z5500
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Larry,

The sub is just 188-watts RMS (376-watts peak) power, but it's a 10-inch, long-throw sub which really pumps a lot of air. If you're like the DJ's in this part of the world, 10,000 watts wouldn't be enough--they like to blow the doors off the hinges and shatter everyone's ear drums.

I've used the full system for audiences to 125 people with no problems, however, I'm not playing to the younger generation. Most of the folks I perform for are 50 years old or older. The Z-5500 has lots of headroom to spare for them. I suggest purchasing the system from someone that has a liberal return policy, trying it out in a large hall, and if you don't like what you hear, take it back for a full refund. Ironically, most of the folks that have tried this system have nothing but rave reviews about not only the power, but additionally, they love the sound quality and clarity they're hearing as well. This is particularly true for vocals. I, as well as many others, have heard lots of great responses from our audiences as well.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#218476 - 09/19/05 09:48 PM Re: Logitech z5500
Yamiguy Offline

Hi Fran...i currently have the yorkville sub and i want to scale down for convience but still want a nice sound. I dont dj for young kids and i only do weddings...no club work. The yorkville i have now had a 10" but the cabinet is much bigger and heavier than the logitech. I might even be tempted to go with 2 of the logitech subs over the yorkville if it would do the job. Maybe if i had 2 pretty girls to haul my equipment like you do i wouldn't mind the yorkville sub...lol.
Hey Gary...Is the best place to get it on amazon? I know i missed a few deals on the system before. The one amazons running now is 250 + 25 shipping . I guess if i end up not using it for dj i can just use it for live and jams with my friends when i dont want to carry a lot of stuff. I trust everyones judgement here. I think midrange is highly overrated anyways...lol. Actually i'm switching out my mains too, to the jbl eon10 g2's as soon as i can stomach the prices on those things. The total will come out close to the price of the bose PAS when you add in the subwoofer, cases, and standadapters.... ugg.

#218477 - 09/19/05 11:25 PM Re: Logitech z5500
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Larry

The JBL Eon 10G2's and the z5500 sub only is what I use. I think your'e gonna like it a lot. As far as the sub for DJ work, that little sucker pumps it out.

From what you say your needs are one sub should be plenty. As far as the satellites, you'll have to decide that when you hear them. A lot of folks like the 5.1 set up. The only way I kind of like using the 5.1 set up is when used in addition to the powered Eons. Then it adds kind of a nice crisp high to the sound the way I have it set. Absolutely no mid otherwise to my ears. A lot of the voices sound good with the satelittes added. Piano is not one of them. It causes it to sound very brittle and harsh. No real depth to the sound either. But with a 3" speaker in a super small casing, that is what one would expect.

The other thing I have found with the satelittes is that if they are blasting you right in the face they sound kind of ok. If you step a couple feet away they sound very small. Just my expereince with it and my taste. You may love it as it is as many others do.

If you use the sub with your keyboard all you have to do is plug it into the headphone jack. I would think that you could also plug out of your main powered speakers.

My bet is if you try it, you'll certainly like at least the sub and keep it. If you also like the satellites, then terrific, you've got a small light weight inexpensive speaker system.

Best
Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 09-19-2005).]

#218478 - 09/19/05 11:33 PM Re: Logitech z5500
Scott Langholff Offline

One other thought on the z5500's. I have not used the 5.1 to play out with because I don't like the sound I hear at home. I have considered the possibility that in a regular live performance with the volume set accordingly, it may sound better cranked in a larger room.

Any comments on that idea from Logitech owners would be appreciated.

Scott

#218479 - 09/20/05 05:16 AM Re: Logitech z5500
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I'm not sure about the return policy from Amazon, therefore I spent about $350 at Comp USA, which does have an excellent return policy. For me it was worth the additional money to buy it there--just in case I didn't like what I heard. Obviously, I liked what I heard.

The other thing I must stress is to have someone else, preferably your spouse, listen to the sounds generated by this system. At least in my case, she has absolutely no qualms about telling me if something does not sound good--especially after nearly 45 years of nuptual bliss.

If you're not playing to youngsters, then I sincerely believe the Z-5500 will do everything you wish and then some. However, keep in mind that speaker position is very important, just as it is with conventional systems. The speakers must be placed at least 5-feet or more above the floor in order to reach the far ends of the venue and provide some equity in sound dispersal. I recently received an email from an individual that placed the speakers on a table, expected great things and was very disappointed. This would be akin to placing your JBL12s on the floor and expecting them to reach the back end of a large hall--it ain't gonna happen.

Lots of things to think about, but lots of options as well.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#218480 - 09/20/05 09:05 PM Re: Logitech z5500
Yamiguy Offline

Thanks Scott,
Its nice to see you using that same setup and enjoying it. I always thought that would be a powerful system.
Having the eons will make the system more vesitile for those times when i have to take a speaker over to a remote ceremony area and do the music. That way i dont have to take a power amp over there. If it wasn't for that factor i'd definitely just go with the Bose Pas. I doubt if i can use the satellites on the z5500 for anything but i'll give it a shot. I'll let you know after i get the stuff how its going. I'll be making a full custom case for the sub so i'll get some pix to you guys if you want.
Take Care

#218481 - 09/21/05 12:29 AM Re: Logitech z5500
Scott Langholff Offline

I got a rolling duffle bag at KMart that fit's perfectly.

Scott

#218482 - 09/21/05 10:31 PM Re: Logitech z5500
Yamiguy Offline

Hi Gary, Thanks. I'm going out tomorrow to check it out at the local comp usa. I wonder how the Bose Pas tower of little speakers projects if its not sitting up high on a pole. Seems like the bodies of the crowd would sap the pas's energy. Hmmm.

Hey Scott, Thank for the hints. Kmart eh? I went down to Sears and got a rolling Craftsman toolbox with a handle for live gigs. Its pretty neat. I think it cost about 60 dollars and it carries all the little stuff (cords, monitor, effects pedal, notebooks) and then it is a flat platform to put your mixer and monitor on. Its pretty neat. I dont think we have a kmart here anymore. Making the case wont be a problem since i made all the cases for my dj equipment. I'll probably make it 2 to 3 inches longer so i can store and cables for it in the back of the cabinet.
Thanks All, Take Care

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online