SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#218302 - 11/14/03 09:00 AM I played new EXR-5 Roland
Bluebird Offline

I played the new EXR-5 from Roland yesterday.

It is a better kb than EM-25: better sounds, 64 notes polyphony, XG sounds set, numerical pad to enter styles and tones, U.S.B., 1,5 Mb for user styles. But it loses something: no more morphing style, no D-Beam.

Voices are normal at its price. Piano is good, but not something special one. Flute is better as usual in Roland, it has a vibrato flute. There is a XG set, and GM2 set too.

But the worse part, I.M.O., is that there are very few buttons. So, a lot of functions must be activate pushing the only "Function" button a lot ot times to arrive to function you need!!! And when you arrive to function you need, then, you must push more times one of the two "select" buttons (+ or -) to arrive what you want to do with that function! Shame!

The new cover function is not a great one, I think. Better was morphing style!!!

Screen is the same EM-25 (now backlight), is better than old Rolands, but worse than PSR2000... and KNs.

About styles editing: you may modify volume of each of three tipical elements of Rolands styles: drums, bass, or accompaniment. You may, of course, mute each of them. But NO MORE STYLE EDITING. So, you must play styles as they are.

It is not a bad kb, but for its price (650€)... it could offer more. A few more euros, and you have PSR1100.

Cheers

[This message has been edited by Bluebird (edited 11-16-2003).]

#218303 - 11/14/03 12:13 PM Re: I played new EXR-5 Roland
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
What a downer It doesn't sound like the EXR-5 is anything to cheer about. We were hoping that Roland would have something like a G1000+VA7+Tyros machine. This doesn't even come close.

#218304 - 11/14/03 03:18 PM Re: I played new EXR-5 Roland
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
WAIT...WAIT...WAIT!!!!

#218305 - 11/14/03 03:31 PM Re: I played new EXR-5 Roland
Bluebird Offline

Wait? more?
A long time waiting, and most of Roland users gone to Yamaha...
How much time more, Fran?

Yesterday, a friend offered an used PSR2000... for same price that a new EXR-5 (650 euros), and... pehaps it is better...

I don't know if I will know wait more...

Only waiting in God.

[This message has been edited by Bluebird (edited 11-14-2003).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online