SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#218267 - 09/26/02 10:43 AM urgent help with converting Generalmusic songs to MIDI...
DannyUK Offline

Hi! I am in a bit of a pickle (or rather my father is)... He has a WK8 in which has broken down and been sent for repairs in Holland, this procedure looks like it will take a long time as its already been a couple of weeks... The problem is, his repitour (spelling?) of songs are all in GEM format and he didnt convert them to midi (didnt need to really i suppose as he wasnt planning in changing keyboard).. now he is faced with the prospect of changing the keyboard and looks like he will lose the hundreds of songs hes worked on.. hes not a very happy person at the moment and i dont blame him! theres 3 years worth of work there potentially lost.. even so, he has already have to put one gig off because of this, and he has a few more in the coming weeks which he may have to put off as well... i hope not for his sake... I was wondering, is there any software on the PC that could convert WK8 songs to midi file format?

Any help would be absolutely fantastic...

Thanks alot,
Danny

#218268 - 09/26/02 12:11 PM Re: urgent help with converting Generalmusic songs to MIDI...
ziggy Offline

Loc: Malta
Hi Danny I have to be honest with you I don't think there is that kinda of converter.Let me tell you that if they where saved as a SONG when you change them to midi it wont sound that good.An alternative is to find someone with a wk8 or wk4 in England.I will try to contact a friend of mine in Italy to see if possible.I hope you have copied the work you had in the hard disk.

good luck

#218269 - 09/26/02 12:20 PM Re: urgent help with converting Generalmusic songs to MIDI...
DannyUK Offline

hi and thanks very much for your answer... yes, i have the HD backed up to a CD-R as well as floppy.. if im not mistaken, the WK4 will not recognise WK6/8 files in the sense that they will load up but will not play back?? but even so, i have no idea who else owns one of these kbs as GEM (and Ketron for that matter) are very rare in the UK from what ive seen anyway.. i wouldnt mind even trying to track down a 2nd hand WK6 to sort the problem out for my dad.... but again, dont really know where to try out... i originally bought the WK8 from Musically Yours in Staffordshire (which is where they have the broken kb now) which they have sent to Holland for repairs, however, they dont seem very hopeful...

[This message has been edited by DannyUK (edited 09-26-2002).]

#218270 - 09/27/02 06:40 AM Re: urgent help with converting Generalmusic songs to MIDI...
ziggy Offline

Loc: Malta
what I can offer you is that you send me what you have on cd and I will transforme them for you and I can send you the files back through email cause when they are midifiles it's easy to send through the net,I can copy the whole cd on my GENESYS through my SCSI interface. so if you can't find an alternative let me know I'll see how I can help you.to email me use this gauciton@onvol.net It happend to me one when my Hard Disk busted and I lost everything I had in it so I know what your dad is feeling. Good luck.... By the way I live in Europe.

#218271 - 09/27/02 02:57 PM Re: urgent help with converting Generalmusic songs to MIDI...
DannyUK Offline

thanks for your offer of help, however, it has come to light that they have repaired the keyboard and are sending it out next week, so hopefully this is the end of it... you can bet the first thing i will be doing is converting the stuff....!!

#218272 - 09/28/02 02:29 PM Re: urgent help with converting Generalmusic songs to MIDI...
DannyUK Offline

Just want to make a few alterations.. firstly, the keyboard we are using is a WK6!! keep getting the models confused as they are so similar other than the fact that one has a HD (and harmoniser?) and one hasnt.. Although I have the songs all backed up to a HD on my PC (and also on a CD-R), they still would be of no use to us UNLESS they are converted to midifile if we needed to use them elsewhere... But thanks to Musically Yours (which at one point it all sounded so bleak about 2 or so weeks ago), we can resume creating & playing music.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online