SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#217895 - 03/05/04 08:07 PM Uncle Dave - Help me on the Bose PAS!!!
rhumba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN, USA
Uncle Dave,
How are you using your PAS?

I had a first try today at a church and it was feedback all over!!!

The room was pretty big, easily hold 350 people. I used a mixer, all effect turned off. Two mics on the first two XLR channel, my PA80 was on stereo Ch.11/12 and my Yamaha S90 on stereo Ch. 13/14. I run the main L/R out from the mixer into inputs 1 and 2 on the PAS. The Bose setup is about 10 feet behind me.

If all mics were off, I can blast the music as loud as I wanted to, but as soon as any mic is tuned up to a decent level, I got feed back all over! I can turn the whole system down, but then no one can hear anything well, including myself.

How did you do it? Tonight was a test run, tomorrow night is the real night. I still have tomorrow day to work it out.

Who knows, the 30-day money back from G.C might come in handy this time.

Many thanks,
..rb

#217896 - 03/05/04 09:12 PM Re: Uncle Dave - Help me on the Bose PAS!!!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Rumba,

What kind of mic are you using? From the way it sounds, you must be using an omni directional mic with a long range. If this is the case, you may want to try using a super-cardiod pattern mic such as the Senheiser 855 or something comparable, which should solve the feedback problem. Also check your EQs, especially mid and high range and bring them down a bit, then raise the low EQ to see if that helps.

Good Luck,

Gary

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 03-05-2004).]

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#217897 - 03/05/04 10:57 PM Re: Uncle Dave - Help me on the Bose PAS!!!
rhumba Offline

That's my thought when I got home tonight. I didn't bring the mics, those were from the church.

I will bring my two Sennheiser 845S to test things out again. Everything is still plugged in so it shouldn't take long.

..rb

#217898 - 03/05/04 11:29 PM Re: Uncle Dave - Help me on the Bose PAS!!!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Many church mics ARE omni so they pick up several singers/speakers at once. Don't use them. Also - place the Bose to the side and back of you like the directions state. Maybe 8 feet back and 4 feet over. Try that first before you panic.

#217899 - 03/06/04 08:54 AM Re: Uncle Dave - Help me on the Bose PAS!!!
Roel Offline

Churches have many reflections (hall), especially when there are no/a few visitors.
A 'filled' church is much easier to handle with amplification, but Gary and UD are right : Use supercardioid mikes.

Roel

#217900 - 03/07/04 03:35 PM Re: Uncle Dave - Help me on the Bose PAS!!!
rhumba Offline

Hello Everyone,
I finished a performance at church today.

I had my two keyboards (PA80 & Yamaha S90) connected stereo, plus two Sennheiser 845S mics to the mixer and had the main L/R of the mixer to the PAS. Everything went great. For the first time, the sound is very full. Funny how you felt like the sound was all over the room. You knew the sound came from one source, but you couldn't help notice the "fullness" of the sound all around you! Uncle Dave, is that how you experience?

After the event, a few people came up and gather around the PAS! Seriously, they gathered and asked questions. While packing up my keyboards, I saw a guy put his ear against the pole, don't know what he was thinking

Look like I won't need GC's 30-day money back after all.

BTW, because of the size and shape of the conference room, I had my PAS about 12-15 feet behind me, but everything worked great!

Ah, yes, I can easily fit the PAS nicely inside my small Ford Taurus with room to spare.

I'm more than happy to answer any question you might have.

..rb

#217901 - 03/08/04 07:03 AM Re: Uncle Dave - Help me on the Bose PAS!!!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Pretty soon, you're gonna see this "mystery" tower all over. It's popping up on stages everywhere !

Some things just WORK. This is one of those things. It's a great improvement on an old idea that makes life much easier for working musicians. The esthetics alone are almost worth the price tag. It's so clean looking - no speakers stands, no wires dangling ...... it's the wave of the future. Jump on now folks.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online