SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#217788 - 01/09/02 09:24 PM New Sound Card from Creative ...
mbl Offline

Loc: el paso tx
Friends,

This is an intersting product. Checks with the trend of more and more interfacing of the computer and the arranger. It is an EXTERNAL usb card and would simplify connecting things to it.
http://www.soundblaster.com/products/extigy/

#217789 - 01/09/02 10:49 PM Re: New Sound Card from Creative ...
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
It seems like external sound cards are the new trend as initally evindenced by the highly succesful & highly rated firewire MOTU 828 audio interface box. The BIG advantage of an external sound card is that is eliminates computer noise from getting in the way with the sound. The specs of the Extigy card look impressive, but I'm just wondering if there would be any problems with speed (latency) when using a USB interface. I'm looking forward to checking this out at NAMM. Now I realize WHY I compiled a listing of the exhibit booths I don't want to miss.

#217790 - 01/09/02 11:05 PM Re: New Sound Card from Creative ...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I checked the site, and I'll save some of you the trouble - here's the system requirements......
PC Systems or Notebooks with Genuine Intel® Pentium® 350MHz or faster processor
Intel® or 100% compatible motherboard chipset
Windows® 98SE, Windows® 2000, Windows® Me or Windows® XP™
64MB system RAM for Windows 98SE. 128MB system RAM for Windows® 2000, Windows® Me or Windows XP™

My laptop is only a 300Mhz, but I am happy with the midi performance as a partner to my psr2k. It was tempting thgough. If you ever see one of the Roland/Edirol PCMCIA Sound Canvas'- scoop it up! That sounded like a winner.

#217791 - 01/09/02 11:38 PM Re: New Sound Card from Creative ...
Scottyee Offline

Uncle Dave,
The Extigy is a 24 bit 96/khz DAC 'audio' soundcard intended for recording digital audio, not just a midi soundcard as you appear to suggest when you recommended the Roland/Edirol PCMIA midi sound card instead of the Extigy. The Extigy is a different animal. Also, the processor and memory requirements of the Extigy audio sound card are certainly within norm of computers today. It appears that Creative Labs is moving to appeal to the pro audio recording market now and not just gamers & game developers. Though I'm certainly happy with my Midiman M-Audio Delta 66 soundcard, I'm still anxious to check the Extigy out. - Scott

#217792 - 01/10/02 12:36 AM Re: New Sound Card from Creative ...
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Before we get too excited, keep in mind that USB audio spec only allows for two channels of audio (left and right), so it will not replace the professional multi-channel audio cards. Also with only one in and one out MIDI port it is not going to do the trick for many people.

Regards,
Alex

#217793 - 01/10/02 12:45 AM Re: New Sound Card from Creative ...
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I wonder if Creative Labs will also put out a "platinum" or higher end version geared more towards musicians. The snr rating, if it is accurate, is pretty good on it. I like the idea of USB and having the card outside of the comp to keep the comp noise away from the card, but the Extigy as it is currently marketed doesn't seem to aim at musicians. I don't see any rating for latency either... an important rating for my purposes. I'm just looking at the advertisment itself and looking at who they are marketing this card towards. The two top end Audigy series cards at least come with some bundled software programs including Cubasis VST and Viennas Soundfont studio. Although I would likely use my own software anyway, it at least seems that the Audigy cards are geared at least in part toward musicians . It also looks to me like Extigy does not use the standard 1/4 in mono jacks for analog line in and mic. I don't necessarily have to have more than 2 inputs but at least give me connectors that are better than 1/8 inch stereo plugs.

The SB Live card I have is a very useful tool for me in that it works well with midi I can do some cool things with its' synth using my own soundfonts, and I will keep it, but I'm not sold on this card or the Audigy series either at this point. I'm getting more serious about recording on the comp, since I have other software sampler and Vienna and I already have the new sounds in the comp, so it's time for a new soundcard for me. Right now I'm looking at the Echo Mona and the SW1000xg as possibilities. The only drawback with the sw1000xg is that I'm paying extra if I get it for Yamaha sounds that I basically already have in my PSR2000, and though I like quite a few of them, I'm not all that partial to all of the Yamaha sounds to begin with.

I was told though by my local dealer that very soon ( probably coinciding with NAMM ?? ) that a whole new generation of cards is coming out and that I might want to wait for a couple of weeks before making any purchases. I wonder if the Extigy is a low end preview to a generation of USB type cards ?...hmmm

AJ

#217794 - 01/10/02 04:37 PM Re: New Sound Card from Creative ...
mbl Offline

The new card is pro-spec. USB is a data bus. It is not limitted to 'left and right'. This card allows the latest in Dolby, theater surround sounds, etc. The thing about Creative is that they come up with the latest in technology at lower prices. True, it is to be checked first. But as far as computers, older than 2 years is now old. For instance, rather than fix an even older one I rather just bought a new one for 500.US with a 1 Gigahertz cpu. That's for desk models though. Portables are still costly but have lowered in price too while going way up in performance. I'd say it won't be too long before all speakers are wireless receivers, all digital too. Eventually you'll be at the ball room, wirelessly connected to the internet, from where all your files and songs will be available. No home computers, back to terminals? The arranger will be an internet machine too.

#217795 - 01/11/02 08:19 AM Re: New Sound Card from Creative ...
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Recording specs are still only 16 bits and 48 khz. I'm not an expert on sound cards or digital recording in general but these aren't really pro specs in todays world are they ?

AJ

#217796 - 01/11/02 01:15 PM Re: New Sound Card from Creative ...
mbl Offline

Sound cards do not record. They just produce the sound that can be recorded by innumrable means. Would you please clarify what those specs refer to? I am no expert either but herby wish to learn. Thanks.

(By the way I just read in at their site that it does not support ASIO drivers yet. That's not so good).

#217797 - 01/11/02 01:24 PM Re: New Sound Card from Creative ...
Scottyee Offline

mbl: Yes, but I think the Creative soundcards do support the 'newest' WDM drivers which have comparable specs to the ASIO drivers. I was using ASIO drivers with my Mididman M-Audio Delta 66 soundcard but recently switched to the 'new' WDM drivers when running Cakewalk Sonar and it sounds every bit as good & fast (low latency) as the ASIO drivers ever did. - Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 01-11-2002).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online