SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#217700 - 10/23/02 02:02 PM I Need Help!!!!!
philh Offline

Loc: Houston, TX USA
Just got my SD-1 today (used) and I was so excited to try it BUT....
the Unit will not boot up. When I turn on the power switch, the screeen lights up but nothing else happens. I tried turning it on and off a few times but still won't boot up. Can someone please shed some light on this? I hope I don't have to send it for repair!
Do you think I can install the 3.0b upgrade diskette so it will power up? The current OS is 2.0.

Please help!
Thanks.
Phil

#217701 - 10/23/02 02:20 PM Re: I Need Help!!!!!
Roel Offline

Phil,

This is very disappointing indeed.
Some points you could check :
Is the mains-voltage correct ?
(European models want 230V AC, while other countries use 115V AC)

Is there any other 'activity' on your SD1, such as LED-indication, starting HD-noise, diskdrive.

How do you know your current version is 2.0 ?
(Is it shown on the display ?)

Yes you can upgrade.... if the SD1 is willing to help. (Press F6 while power-up)

Hope this will give you any usefull information ?

Roel

#217702 - 10/23/02 02:34 PM Re: I Need Help!!!!!
philh Offline

Roel,
Thanks for your reply.

1. The voltage is correct, 120 VAC. I bought this from someone in Waterbury Connecticut and he's been using it.

2.When I power up, the overload button flickers once but does not turn on, and the floppy drive starts to churn but stops. After this, nothing else is happening. Nothing is lit up except the screen and it's blank. Pushing any buttons doesn't do anything.

3. Current version is not the current version. I think the seller told me it was 2.0 and he hasn't upgraded yet. It is not shown on the display because it's blank.

4. I just tried to upgrade to 3.0 by inserting the floppy,power on while holding F6 but nothing happened.

Do you think I should send it out for repair? I hope not.

Thanks again.
Phil

#217703 - 10/23/02 02:38 PM Re: I Need Help!!!!!
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
You should definately have a repair technician service this SD1 .

I think that keyboard was used in a church ?

dano

------------------
danosmusic@yahoo.com

#217704 - 10/23/02 03:00 PM Re: I Need Help!!!!!
philh Offline

Yes, it was used in the church. Do you know more about this keyboard? But....here's the latest, after turning the power switch on ond off several times, it finally booted up!! And now it's working again. The operating system is 2.0a (or b? I forgot). What do you think night be the problem with the keyboard? It will be terrible if I go to a gig and the darn thing won't boot up!

Thanks.
Phil

#217705 - 10/23/02 03:09 PM Re: I Need Help!!!!!
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Something in the power on button seems to be loose . I would still have someone go over the keyboard .

dano

------------------
danosmusic@yahoo.com

#217706 - 10/23/02 03:22 PM Re: I Need Help!!!!!
Roel Offline

Dan01,

I don't expect the power-switch has a bad contact after analyzing the symptoms Phil descibed : Especially the LIT (but blank) display concerns me..... because the power supply is ON at that time and the keyboard does not initialize.
I agree : This SD1 needs to be checked / repaired by an engineer.

#217707 - 10/23/02 04:20 PM Re: I Need Help!!!!!
philh Offline

Thanks for all your help guys. It's wonderful to know that I can get a lot of support from this forum. By the way, AJ responded to me about the problem and he thinks that "there might also be a loose connection b/w display board and panel board (blue connector) that might need to be well fitted".

I wonder if that is something that I can try solving. It's too much of a hassle to pack it up and ship..but if I have nop choice...oh well.

Thanks again guys.

Phil

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online