SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#217574 - 01/16/06 08:58 AM How did you start in Music & progress to your latest instrument
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Thought it might be interesting to hear how Synth Zone members got to where they are today and what made them choose their currant instrument.
Here’s my History for Starters.

I had always been interested in listening to music from an early age, but never thought of playing, and this continued in to the late 70s, however when we moved house in 1976, the neighbour had a Farfisa Organ which could be heard in summer when the windows were open, and while the organ is not something that I was into, some of the other sounds it produced sounded quite good. (I was bought up listening to all types of music, and so could appreciate most types)
We started going to a few demos in shops and hotels, and even joined the local organ society, and eventually my Father purchased a used Wurlitzer Electronic organ, which I used to play from self teaching books, however with other interests this was not a committed process.
A short time later, a friend bought us a recording of Franz Lambert playing the Wersi Galaxy 3 manual organ, and when I first listened to it, I thought no way were a lot of the sounds being produced by the organ. (I had heard top end organs from Lowery, Thomas, Yamaha, Farfisa etc, and thought I new what the capabilities of the electronics of that time were)
The following year Franz Lambert did a tour playing the Galaxy and 2 manual Helios, (Made famous by Kluas Wunderlich) and I was amazed to find that yes, the sounds heard on the recording were indeed being made by an organ, it was then that I made the decision that I have got to get me a Wersi. (And the fact that you could build them from kits really put the icing on the cake)
Due to various commitments it was not until 1985 that I finally got around to building a Wersi, in this case the Alpha model, and the fact that you could play any instrument sound on any of the keyboards, Pedals and accompaniment was really spot on, (All the other main manufactures still had a limited number of sounds which could only be played on a particular keyboard manual etc, with occasional groups of sounds being able to be played on upper and lower manuals) this eventually gave way in 1989 to a Wersi Arcus which unlike the Alpha that had 8 bit processing, now used 16 bit processing thus giving increased sound quality and features.
Unfortunately due to various commitments it became increasingly difficult to find time to play and so around 1993 I sold the Arcus and left the keyboard scene.
With the coming of age of the PC, (and the fact that I had been playing with computers since the early eighties) this became my main interest, and about 1998 I bought a Midi keyboard which came with the Evolution sequencer software, I just bought it for a bit of fun, but instead this rekindled my interest in playing music, and so I purchased Cubasis software, which came with some soft synths as standard, I also upgraded my sound card from a SoundBlaster to a Yamaha XG card and the difference was amazing.
I also started going to keyboard concerts again, and around 2002-3 I purchased a Yamaha DGX 300 keyboard, I had also heard some recordings of the new Wersi OAS instruments, and while not sounding as impressive as when I first heard the Galaxy in the late 70s, they did sound quite good.
Around 2003/4 Roland had introduced the VA 7 which really impressed me and I was going to purchase it to add to the DGX 300, however at the same time a Wersi Abacus became available in the used musical instrument columns, and as it was not far away I decided to have a look, also it was half the price of a new one, (although the software was not the latest version) and therefore not much more than a VA 7, and well, what can one say, I tried it and fell in love with it straight away, so needless to say the VA 7 purchase went by the wayside, with the DGX 300 following shortly afterwards, the computer based system also disappeared as being a computer at heart I could do the same with the Abacus, but without the trailing wires and major software setup.
I have upgraded the Abacus since purchase and now run OAS 6 software, (OAS 4 was the original version that came with the Abacus) with various Akai samples loaded as well.
This is how it stands today, and while new keyboards from various manufactures have been released, and which contain some impressive features and sounds, (Yes even better then some of the OAS 6 software sounds) none have come close to achieving such a complete package as the Abacus, and consequently there has been no urge to change.
Anyway the above explains how I came to play the Abacus, and I hope you found it interesting.

Bill

#217575 - 01/16/06 09:36 AM Re: How did you start in Music & progress to your latest instrument
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
Bill, that is an interesting reading.
I started playing the violin at 5. Didn't like it too much - I got easily tired by holding the violin. On the other hand, I liked the acoustic piano very much. The most important feature of the piano was thet I could never play it out of tune.

Later, I replaced the violin with viola (some call it Bradth) because I grew tall and my hands got too long to hold the violin.

I used to take lessons in Theory of Music, Harmony and Polyfony in the local school of music.However, the matter of subjects was not so interesing to me. That was one of the reasons I decided to give up my career in music. The other reason was that I could not play music instruments as well as the other guys of my age.

So, in 1995 (I was 17 by then) I discontinued my exersises in music. I did not have any time to practise music while I was in the University.

After graduating I had hard times finding a good job. In the end I was hired as a computer programmer in a newly founded company - I was the 5th employee in the company, including our Boss. 2 years later there are 22 employees in the company.

I decided to take up playing piano again because playing music is a very good way to relax from the busy day. Therefore most of my compositions are lyric pieces or ballads.

My first electronic keyboard was the pityful PSR-260, which I bought for the stunning $250 in 2001. It was not until Dec 2005 when I got rid of it for $100.

In Dec 2004 I bought a Yam DGX-305. I have spent many happy hours playing it.
I think I will never get back to playing an acoustic piano. Electronic keyboards are easier to keep, do not need tuning, easy for transport, many sounds, styles, fun and so on. Last but not least, people get impressed when they enter my room and see Yamaha. They would be even more impressed I had a Roland.
I do miss the hammer action of a real piano but I think it won't be long when hammer-weighted keyboards in my price range will appear.

Wish you all the best. This was my longest posting on the Synthzone.

George

[This message has been edited by George V (edited 01-16-2006).]

#217576 - 01/16/06 12:05 PM Re: How did you start in Music & progress to your latest instrument
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
At age seven, on a trip to Kentucky, I tried to get my uncle John, who played at a local venue called Renfro Valley, to teach me some guitar. He said I was too small. I went back to Michigan (my dad was in the Military).When I returned two years later, I played him under the table. At age 10, I was playing guitar in an Officers Club at Ladd AFB in Fairbanks, Alaska. At age 15, I was backing up traveling acts (Jerry Lee, B.J. Thomas and others)at Brocks in Lexington. At 17, I was in California working on TV and playing around the state.

Fifty years later, I have had 9 weeks off, total, have 300 plus stringed instruments, over 20 keyboards and a warehouse full of other equipment. I make 1/2 my income performing (OMB, jazz trio and sideman on electric upright)and composing film scores for my projects.

Music has been good to me!

Russ

#217577 - 01/16/06 01:19 PM Re: How did you start in Music & progress to your latest instrument
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Some years ago, maybe in 2001, I found this forum and read some topics, but found it to be too "pro" for me so I stopped reading it.
Today, after posts like the above, I realise it still is a "pro" forum .

I was always facsinated by music, and everything that could make a sound in general, since I was 3-4 years old. No one in the family had an insrument to borrow or anything, and instruments were (and are) expensive here in Greece, also add that my mother used to say that musicians are all hungry and steered me away every time I expressed an interest in music (and me the bozo didn't argue).

Anyway, I borrowed a guitar when I was about 16, and tried to play some 1 string tunes. Around the same time I got a computer (one of those ancient types that had a cassete) and "composed" some covers in BASIC, 3 "notes" (square waves) ployphony and all (sounded Nintendo NES if you have heard its sound). Took an effort.

I have a girl friend that was studying the piano for 10 years at that time and I liked what I heard from her, classical pieces, but discovered 2 things: The damn piano keys were difficult to play, they needed force , and that I could pick up tunes by ear and remember them, WAY easier than her.

Around 20 years old I bought a toy keyboard, 4 octaves with small keys, it had some sort of accompaniment, after maybe 2 years I borrowed a 4 octave regular keys Lowrey Micro Genie or something from my boss, and learned to play some fingered chords holding down my left hand, instead of using 2 fingers for simplified chords.

A complication with my obligatory military draft when I was 23, made me attend a music school (stayed for 1 1/2 year, mostly joking withmy teacher), and the incentive was there for me to buy a "decent" Keyboard, since I didn't have anything to "study" with at home. I bought the "high end" Casio arranger of the era (year 1994) for about 2x my monthly salary, which I still have (the Casio, not the salry, thank God) . A GEM WS1 was better sounding but also considerably more expensive, Yamaha PSR 500 was in the same league as the Casio, but pricier. I was amazed with the sounds. I was also amazed on how easy I could sound good, due to all the accompaniments playing along with my right hand. [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/smile.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, I still can't read notes, and I still play by ear. I wish I could read notes but I also found out another thing in music school: Music requires some discipline, and I was too undisciplined/too old to "glue my butt" on the desk and study. Maybe someday I will.

In the meantime, SZ has renewed my interest in arrnagers, and soft synths are "freshening" my ancient arranger sounds, but I 'll probably have to buy something new.

sorry for the length of the message,
Theodore

[This message has been edited by trident (edited 01-16-2006).]

#217578 - 01/16/06 02:54 PM Re: How did you start in Music & progress to your latest instrument
zuki Offline

Organ lessons from the 3rd grade (Dad was an organist). He later bought me a Farfisa. Next came the Hammonds. The Rhodes surfaced and I was hooked on piano ever since, although a lot of my work is organ lead related (B3 is my favorite).

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#217579 - 01/16/06 03:01 PM Re: How did you start in Music & progress to your latest instrument
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
In 1986 at age 7 i had my first keyboard..a toy one. In 1989 at age 9 i got a casio ca110 . I was impressed with it at the time cos it had different sounds and styles...i left it for a while. At that point i didnt understand chords and played crap Then in 1997 at age 18 i decided to try again. I bought a brand new roland e38 which was my first professional keyboard would be the start of my admiration for roland arrangers. I learned to play chords on my own without help. From 1997 to 2002 lots of keyboards would come and go. In that period i owned roland e16, e66, e86, e500. In 2003 i got myself a roland va5 which was to be my final roland. I was thrilled with my va5 except for the touch screen. When the g70 came out i wanted to buy it but was disappointed with the sounds and styles. It was at this time that i tested the tyros as well and was impressed and got one. I sold the tyros a few months ago in anticipation of tyros2. Oneday in the future i hope roland can impress me again...i remain rolandfan

#217580 - 01/16/06 03:22 PM Re: How did you start in Music & progress to your latest instrument
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
My mom always played piano and organ. I had piano lessons for about a year when I was six, but I only learned the bare basics. Still, the exposure to music kindled a life-time love for it. The piano was always there and I tinkled with it from time to time.
I started playing trumpet in high school because my older cousin did, and he was my hero. By my sophomore year, 1959, I was first chair trumpet player in the Oklahoma All-State Orchestra.
I went to college at Okla. State University and played trumpet in the ROTC band there. ROTC was mandantory the first two years and the band kept me from doing the real soldier stuff. Don't know if that was good or bad. I was playing basketball, so didn't play in the University band or orchestra.
I had a roommate who played drums and kept a set in our apartment, so I learned to play those some. Then we met a guy who was a very talented guitar player/singer. He needed a bass player, so I conned my mom into buying me a cheapo Silvertone bass and amp. Two weeks later I played my first paying job--for five bucks and all the pizza and beer we could eat. I had Coca Cola instead of beer.
We soon began playing all the important college dances and proms for surrounding high schools. I played mostly bass, but also drums and doubled on trumpet some. When the Beatles hit, we put on wigs and were in at the outset of that phenomenon. Mom got me a Gibson bass and new amp for Christmas.
By my senior year, some of my old friends back home had started a band and they had become very good. They were doing a lot of the radio station "hops" around Tulsa. They created an opening for me, but I had to buy an organ and learn to play it really fast. It wasn't that hard since I knew the theory, the notes and chords and had been around the piano and organ all my life.
The band was very successful until the lead singer and drummer got drafted a couple of years later.
The bass player in that band got hooked up with a country band that had a piano player/singer for a leader. Only thing they needed was a guitar player. I had won a 57 Stratocaster in a poker game while I was in school and had been practicing enough to know how to play all the chords, a few recognizable riffs and some simple leads, SO, I became the lead guitar player. I also was filling in with another band in Tulsa as organ player. Each band would let me sing a few songs a night, but I was pretty bad. I remember one of my songs was a Ringo Starr tune called "Boys". Evidently I was good enough to sing that, since he wasn't all that great either.
In 1968, my "day job" moved me to Arkansas and I didn't play much for a couple of years as my job had me traveling all over the US. I still had an organ, a Lowrey, and one night my boss was over at my house and heard me play a little. Then he hooked me up with a lady that ran Style Shows, so I began playing for them as the ladies did the runway thing. This exposure got me an offer to play at a local restaurant. A singer started working with me some there, and as we got a little more polished, moved to the local Holiday Inn for five nights a week for a year or so. Along the way, I always practiced my singing at home, into a tape recorder. I never liked the sound of my voice until someone invented a device called the Echoplex. Wow, now I sounded like Elvis (NOT), But it seemed to cover up my real voice.
The duo broke up and I joined a local Elvis tribute band. We were working every weekend and packing the place. I was also still doing a single on organ (starting to sing more) at another restaurant. I kept an organ at both locations and played from 6 to 9:30, then went across town and played with the band from 10:30 to 2:30. Well, "Elvis" got too big for his own good and we fired him. I started singing the Elvis songs (minus the costume and gyrations) and nobody seemed to care, or even notice much. I would stand up and play guitar on about half the songs and play organ on the rest. We also began backing and/or opening for most of the big name guys that came through town.
By this time I had quit my job as Advertising Manager of Murphy Oil Corp. It started interfering with my music and fun! I purchased a newspaper and an insurance agency, and could come and go as I wished.
A couple year later (it's 1976 now) I sold the businesses, and had come out with a little money, so I decided to try and get by with just the music for a while. In 1977, an agent came through town and offered me a booking in Shreveport as a single at a piano bar, actually organ bar. I took it and the owner of the business offered me a year's contract. I took it and moved to Shreveport. I've been here ever since. I met my wife here and we started a new family, and thanks to her understanding, I'm still getting by with the music. Along the way I had my own night club where I played six nights a week for around seven years.
Gosh, this turned out to be quite a story. Oh well, reading it is optional!
DonM

#217581 - 01/16/06 04:27 PM Re: How did you start in Music & progress to your latest instrument
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Trident, this is NOT a pro forum. There are many people who are members that play just because they love music. It may seem like a pro forum but that is just because the professionals with all the experience are helpful and always ready and willing to help out. There is a wealth of knowledge available here and it is free.

Tom

Tom

#217582 - 01/16/06 05:21 PM Re: How did you start in Music & progress to your latest instrument
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Somewhere in the early to mid 60's, I finaly figured out how to climb up onto the Organ bench at my aunt's house, and soon after that I figured out how to actually turn the thing on, and it wasn't long before I knew I just had to have one. And so I did.. a magnus chord organ... 2 and a half octaves or so. Soon after I wanted to learn guitar, but it was not to be. By around 1968 or so, my family purhased a Slvertone organ. This would become my main axe for the next ten years, since I wound up being the only person in the house who would actually play it.

I still wanted to learn guitar, but then someone introduced me to a guy named Keith Emerson. Not literally of course. I was astounded that anyone could make such noises on a kb based instrument. Soon after, I discovered another fellow named Wakeman, and then Stevie Wonder and that Clavi sound, and then others. The guitar became an afterthought. The Silvertone lived right up until about 1979, and I used it in my first band. I modified it by making my own distortion and effect pedals. I was also a licensed amateur radio operator and pretty handy with electronics.

Unfortunately, one of my wondrous effects boxes caught fire and badly damged the organ. I'm no believer in destiny or stuff like that, but as luck would have it, right about the same time, one of the town " down on his luckers " ( sounds nicer than wino no ? ) was pawning off his somewhat damaged but pefectly working Hohner Clavinet for all of 75 dollars. I quickly scraped the money up, and soon after I added the Yamaha CP25 and my first real analogue, the Korg polysix to my arsenal. I spent hours almost every day practicing to ELP, Wakeman, some classical, some jazz fusion, like Jan Hammer and a little Chick Corea, trying to hone my skills. Unforunately, having been for the most part self taught, I didn't learn to read music until much later in life, but in another sense, I am glad that I was able to pick up on mostly everything "by ear". Soon, I was able to play as sort of a hired gun with a couple of different local bands, often when their own KB players couldn't make it or they couldn't find anyone at all, since there weren't that many other kb players in my area back then, and at least locally, I was known around the area as someone who could pound out a note or two in a pinch.

My first love however, was my own band at the time, Utopolis. We played a fusion mix of Classical, jazz and prgressive rock, and we made an album that found virtually no commercial success but did get some regional airplay. We had several guys come in and out, including at least one who has made a good living as top flight studio drummer ( he only played a few times for us ), a bass player who later went on to play in a TV show's house band, and another bassist who is a conservatory instructor and has been featured as a speaker on NPR from time to time. We also had another drummer / sax player who made what perhaps was an unfortunate decision to leave the nucleus of what would later become a chart topping R&B band to join us.

I didn't have the same perserverance as some of the band, or perhaps the same level of talent, and I eventually took a day job in the mid 80's, but continued to play off and on over the years, and I owned several of the Casios and Yamaha's of the day, along with a Technics and a couple of cheapy analog beasts. I dabbled a bit with Atari stuff, and I still am nostalgic for some of it to this day.

I began playing around a little with a friend who I later found out was also a top flight percussionist and had done some pro studio work. He really seemed to like what I was doing, and in turn it helped inspire me again. I began to immerse myself again in the mid 90's, but soon after my korg M1 started acting quirky. I had a cheapy Yamaha arranger at that point ( PSR75 I think ? ), but was simply amazed when I purchased a brand new PSR530. Ever since then, my enthusiasm for keys in general, especially analog stuff, as well as playing arrangers has grown. I've returned to my roots a little in several ways, first by playing the occasional solo or duet gig, and secondly by rediscovering my love for crunchy organ sounds along with all things "synthetic" ( analog and beyond ). A few of the gigs have also led to some modest but paying studio jobs, along with the opportunity to work on the soundtrack of a locally produced movie. In all of this gradually I've also learned some of the engineering side of things. Certainly not enough to qualify as an expert, but perhaps enough to be a bit more than just a nuisance in the studio. The computer has become a natural partner in all of this, and now my best "keyboard" actually consists of several software modules. What a great time to be alive and be a KB musician.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 01-16-2006).]

#217583 - 01/16/06 11:27 PM Re: How did you start in Music & progress to your latest instrument
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Tom,
I understand wht you mean, please be sure I meant that as a joke for myself. 10 years ago I would be intimidated to join a forum like this, today I don't feel that way.

I am very thankful that SZ exists in the first place, and that so many of the experienced guys and gals here share their knowledge. As I wrote in my post, and believe me, it is the way I feel, SZ renewed my interest in music.
Theodore

#217584 - 01/17/06 04:26 AM Re: How did you start in Music & progress to your latest instrument
K1 & K2 Offline

Loc: Rockhampton, Queensland, Austr...
About the age of 8 I was told by my parents that I would be going to learn the piano. This lasted for about 6 years with all the eistedfodds, practice etc.(I did'nt think it was much fun at the time). When I started work (15)I was asked to play piano in an old-time dance band, piano / sax / drums(Saturday Nights). This I did for quite a number of years as well as in the meantime playing Bass Guitar(Ibanez Re-conditioned) in our country /rock pub band, lead/bass/organ/drums( Friday Nights). At this point in time my parents bought a Hammond T organ & at this stage my brother joined me playing both sax & organ (Farfisa).

Moving from the old-time dance scene I formed a band that would handle weddings, cabarets, old-time dances, & in this set up I played piano & bass guitar(Fender Jazz), & vocals. This band lasted for about 5 or 6 years. In the latter stages my girlfriend (now wife) joined us as a singer. Also during this period I formed a band to play for an old-time dance(Friday Night)with myself playing drums & my wife playing piano, my brother on sax. My wife has been taught both classical piano & singing for many years, also having participated in numerous eistedfodds. She has found it necessary to adapt her vocals to suit the numerous styles of music that we have played over the years down to our present dance band style.

When this band folded, a couple of years after we were married, my wife & I formed a duo specializing in weddings. During this period our equipment line up started with a "Technics SX 5500G" organ/"Hammond Auto-Vari 64" drum machine, traded in on a "Technics SX U90" organ, traded in on "Technics KN 800/Roland E30" keyboards. We operated this duo for about 12 years.

After a break of about 2 years, we were approached to start a band to play for New-Vogue / Sequence dancing which we did & continue to do, to this day (10 years). The equipment line up continues with :-

Myself - Technics KN 800 / Roland E 30
Wife - Vocals

Myself - Technics KN 2000 / Vocals
Wife - Vocals

Myself - Technics KN 3000 / Vocals
Wife - Vocals

Myself - Technics KN 3000 / Vocals
Wife - Yamaha PSR 640 / Vocals

Myself - Technics KN 5000 / Vocals
Wife - Technics KN 3000 / Vocals

Myself - Technics KN 7000 / Vocals
Wife - Technics KN 5000 / vocals

All of the above equipment has served us well over the years, & has been the most suitable for the style of music that we have been playing. We are both appreciative of having been given the opportunity to learn music(both having come from musical families) & to be able to provide entertainment to others as well as having made many friends along the way & most importantly have been able to do this as a husband / wife team.

Yours in Music

Alan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online