SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#217481 - 03/19/03 07:09 AM Mixer Question Please
The Accordionist Offline

Hello All -

I have a Motion Sound KP-200S stereo amp and am purchasing a Ketron XD3 Arranger to go along with my reedless Midi Accordion. The Motion Sound amp has a built-in 3-band EQ for each of the two independent stereo channels. I noticed that I can buy a nice 3-channel stereo Behringer mixer for less than $100 US. After reading the online manual on the mixer it appears that all it does is give me the same EQ settings that my amp does. Since I don't sing, the only inputs into the amp will be my Midi accordion on channel 1 and the arranger on channel 2. Can't I just use the amp's EQ to control these channels rather than run it through a mixer?

Basically I'm asking what the mixer can give me.

Thank you.

#217482 - 03/19/03 08:21 AM Re: Mixer Question Please
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
What the external Behringer mixer gives you is the ability to have more instruments, tape decks, CD players, microphones, etc. plugged into your amps mixer if you need this. Also, you might have an external Reverb/Echo unit which you would like to have control for each instrument. By having the external mixer, all of this is possible. If using just the amps built in mixer you usually won't(depending on the amp) have all these extra possibilities.
A mixer can also give you more gain control then you often have on just the amp. Many keyboards and modules have different output levels and when plugged directly into an amps mixer which usually do not have input gain control on each channel, you might not get as much volume out of the amp that you expected. By using a mixer which has input gain controls, you can maximize the gain structure before it goes from the mixer to your amp thus giving you better signal to noise levels and getting the most out of your amp.
The small Behringer 6 channel mixer sells for around $69.00 and offers all of these features. there are two xlr mic input channels (or 1/4") and two stereo 1/4" input channels. Plus you have 3 band eq on each channel, an effects loop and it also offers the ability to have this little mixer right at your fingertips for quick control of everything because sometimes it's not easy getting to your amp to make control changes when you need them.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California

[This message has been edited by George Kaye (edited 03-20-2003).]
(Retired 2021)

#217483 - 03/19/03 03:16 PM Re: Mixer Question Please
RJMiller Offline

Loc: Minnesota, USA
My X4 has a much hotter signal than the Millenium sound module. I expect the XD3 does also. In a larger venue, in order to get the volume you want out of the Millenium you may need to turn the KP-200S master volume up so that you have a pronounced "pre-amp hiss" (see manual page 3). This may or may not be objectionable.

A mixer means another piece of equipment to set up - which may not matter to you.

You may find that passing the Millenium signal through a mixer "darkens" or "deadens" the sound a bit (higher overtones less pronounced). At least it seemed so to my ears when passed through a Fostex mixer or a Behringer UltraLink Pro. That may be OK to your ears.

Good Luck

RJM
Good Luck

#217484 - 03/19/03 03:45 PM Re: Mixer Question Please
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm also using an X4 and find the same as RJM does. The output signal is hot enough to be injected directly in my compact PA. The PA has a gain control to adjust the signal level at the amplifier input to avoid distortion. Ajusting this gain properly, I seem to get the strongest possible signal, so I normally don't use a mixer in my gigs (unless, of course, I need to use more sound sources).

-- José.

#217485 - 03/19/03 03:50 PM Re: Mixer Question Please
The Accordionist Offline

Thank you so much for the information. From what you have told me it looks like the XD3 will be hot enough to put directly into channel 1 of the Motion Sound KP-200S. while the Millenium can go directly into channel 2 of the KP-200S because it may sound muddy through a mixer. I guess the bottom line is that I'll try it without a mixer and then add one if needed. I'm such a neophyte with this stuff that I am worried that I won't be able to tell if it sounds good or not.

Your collective advice saved me from making an unnecessary purchase. Thank you.

#217486 - 03/20/03 12:27 AM Re: Mixer Question Please
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I'd be surprised if the mixer "muddied" your signal. I would concur however that you don't seem to need a mixer at all!

#217487 - 03/20/03 09:27 PM Re: Mixer Question Please
RJMiller Offline

Loc: Minnesota, USA
Right - I didn't mean "muddied". I meant that the higher overtones seemed to be dampened or less pronounced. I only hear that with the Millenium sound module accordion sounds, not with the X4.

Hard to describe what I mean.

RJM

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online