SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#217414 - 06/11/06 07:17 PM Suggestions for MP3 Players...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Hi gang!

Yes, It's been awhile...Been very busy performing...everything is going great. Hope everyone's been doing well while I've been away...

My wife is looking at buying me a MP3 player. This would be handy to play quality audio files on during my breaks...I'm looking for some suggestions. Here's a few things to know:

*I'm not looking for more than a couple hundred songs with regard to storage...

*I get my audio files from a variety of sources. (Personal music library, Yahoo Music Engine, Itunes, etc...)

*I'm hoping to wind up with one that can play any kind of digital audio file.

*I would like to buy one that has a display area so I can navigate quickly and easily...

*I will not be using this unit for any video or pictures.

...question #1: The sales guy from the local electronics store claims all I need to do is pick up a inexpensive patch chord, (phono plug to rca's) and I'm set. He says a high quality stereo signal is accessed via the headphones jack...and then running into my boxamp rca's IN...and I'll be set...

Is it really THAT simple?

...question #2: Should I be able to create playlists that can play consecutive songs? I'm thinking about :15 minutes or so of light instrumental jazz stuff that I can fire up when going on breaks...

Thanks to anyone who can provide some info, I appreciate it!

I'll be checking in more often through the next few weeks, hopefully.

Bill in Dayton

#217415 - 06/11/06 10:08 PM Re: Suggestions for MP3 Players...
Dnj Offline

#217416 - 06/12/06 08:30 AM Re: Suggestions for MP3 Players...
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Here's a great site for comprehensive, up to date mp3 player info:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4566-6490_7-0.html?tag=dir

#217417 - 06/12/06 12:23 PM Re: Suggestions for MP3 Players...
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
I, too, am interested in using an MP3 player like Bill; but I want to use it "live" for backing tracks on solo gigs. Now, I'm using tracks burned to CDs. Works OK, but hard to navigate at times.

#217418 - 06/12/06 12:58 PM Re: Suggestions for MP3 Players...
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
Sorry, not to be rude, but
I can't believe this topic.
Search the net and you'll find a zillion mp3 players out there.
All kinds of brands and storage capacity.

#217419 - 06/12/06 01:08 PM Re: Suggestions for MP3 Players...
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by royandreno:

I can't believe that you can't believe it. What's a forum for? He's asking for opinions from people he trusts!

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#217420 - 06/12/06 01:28 PM Re: Suggestions for MP3 Players...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by royandreno:

...Of course there is...I knew that BEFORE I posted my original message. If you re-read it, I'm asking for suggestions from people who already own one and perhaps use it in the same context I intend to.

...It's odd that when I use this board for one of the purposes that it exists, I get a response like this one. Frankly, its one of the reasons I drifted from this site in the past. It used to be a place where poeple could exchange information, work and encouragement. I found it becoming something other than that a while ago and thought it best to step away for awhile. I thought it was time to drop in and maybe see how things where going...

...Can somebody point me towards the users guide on what things I can ask about and what things I shouldn't?

...BTW, I did do a search for this topic before I posted and didn't find anything...

...My thanks to everyone who has already provided suggestions and reccomendations. My sincere apologies to anyone who's sensibilities I may have offended.

Bill in Dayton

#217421 - 06/12/06 02:03 PM Re: Suggestions for MP3 Players...
Dnj Offline

Bill dont dismiss buying a inexpensive LAPTOP for close to the same price as a top of the line iPod etc , which can do so much more on stage for your needs as a performer in real time vs just a MP3 player which are IMO harder to navagate & infamous for having problems down the road .....dell has some great deals now....most musicians around here all use them with much success in so many different ways including myself!
www.dell.com http://www.dell.com/content/products/res...la=9699~0~49304

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-12-2006).]

#217422 - 06/12/06 10:34 PM Re: Suggestions for MP3 Players...
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
Sorry if I offended you Bill.
I wrote mp3 in google search and I got tons of hits, amongst them a review of players in PC-magazines: http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,1874,2359,00.asp
Also, i agree wholeheartedly with Donny with regards to lap tops. Although a little bit bigger than most mp3 players, you can do so much more with certain software programmes.

Again my apologies.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online