SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#216708 - 01/17/05 12:43 AM EMC styleworks vs KAT2000
manic2257 Offline

Loc: australia
hello eveyone for the first time, i have been reading this bbs for a while but have decided to post a hello message and to ask my first question...i am going to buy either of the two available style editors for the PA1X-Pro...KAT2000 or the EMC Styleworks but can anyone tell me the "realworld" difference between them? which one is better? do they do the same job? etc etc etc...price difference between them is considerable so any help and advice would be appreciated.
cheers

peace,out

#216709 - 01/17/05 08:35 PM Re: EMC styleworks vs KAT2000
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
I own both. If you are going to be dealing with Korg styles only, then KAT2000 is a better bet. You can download a demo of it and try it out.

So far, Klaus at EMC Styleworks has not been successful in implementing the Korg paX1 style format into Styleworks. It doesn't handle the paX1 styles properly. So it might not be something for you. However, I do think you can download a demo of Stylworks as well.

You should try both demos to see which fits your needs.

Tom G.

#216710 - 01/17/05 08:57 PM Re: EMC styleworks vs KAT2000
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I tried out both of these things with the PA80, only to go back to using the Korg freeware .

Why ? I got much faster results from an automatic conversion utility, but the converted styles usually sounded poor. Also, the converted note data didn't always play back quite "right". Witness some of the style conversions on Fabio's site. A huge laboring effort from him, to be sure, but I can tell that many of the conversions were done with auto conversion software. Some of the chord types in some styles don't play right at all.

To get them to sound and play well actually involved more work in fixing them after "auto" conversion than it was to start from scratch using style midfiles and the Korg freeware conversion tool. Not sure if this is the same on the PA1x, but my guess is..... probably.

In the end, in order to get a pretty good to excellent sounding conversion, I had to do much editing to the effects and voices, so I would do most of the tweaking before I even finished the conversion.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 01-17-2005).]

#216711 - 01/18/05 01:19 PM Re: EMC styleworks vs KAT2000
manic2257 Offline

Loc: australia
thanks guys, i will try the demos and see how that goes..i will be working primarily with korg styles, although there are some really good yammi styles around too, particularly in the dance/hiphop and r+b areas...so i might have to look at the styleworks..dunno will see..
thanks again

peace, out

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online