SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#216531 - 08/24/05 06:37 AM Korg PA1X or Yamaha 9000
MartyParty Offline

Loc: New Haven, CT USA
Hi, I just learned about this site yesterday, and it's very informative!
I would like to know which keyboard everyone likes better...the PA1X or the 9000. Also Does anyone have the 9000 with speakers? I write a lot of Christian Pop and New Country, and I'm looking for the closest real sounds to the music on the radio. Thanks, Marty

#216532 - 08/24/05 08:30 AM Re: Korg PA1X or Yamaha 9000
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Welcome aboard. The 9000 is yesterday's news. To make a fair comparison, you'd have to compare the Tyros, or the just-being-released Tyros II to the PA1X.
The 9000 DOES have speakers. It is quite heavy compared to Tyros.
However, between the two keyboards you asked about, the Korg would be far better. Also more expensive.
DonM

#216533 - 08/24/05 11:29 AM Re: Korg PA1X or Yamaha 9000
MartyParty Offline

Hi Don,

Thanks for the input. I do have the Kprg PA80, and it sounds great. Is it worth to upgrade to the pa1x?

#216534 - 08/24/05 11:40 AM Re: Korg PA1X or Yamaha 9000
DonM Offline

Oh yes, definitely. Newer, more powerful, able to leap tall buildings with a single bound--no that's Superman isn't it.
I had a PA80 and loved the sounds, but didn't like the fill-ins, endings, intros. I understand that has been much improved on the PA1X.
DonM

#216535 - 08/24/05 01:45 PM Re: Korg PA1X or Yamaha 9000
TwoNuts Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Washington. USA
I really beg to differ about the 9000 being old news. I happen to have one and really don't beleive that the Tyros is much better. Certainly I did not see any reason to upgrade to it.The sounds from the Tyros to my ears were not any better, and the rythem patterns did not seem to different from what I had aquired from the Yamaha CVP 207. I have been very pleased with all the functionality of the 9000 and it has a very good sound base as well as a great amplification system built in. Everyone complains about the weight of it, but everyone wants Yamaha to build keyboards just for them. ie, with onboard speakers or without. With 76 key or with 61. With sampling or without. The list could go on and on. I have concluded that the giggin' musician going out every! weekend would not need onboard speakers. The 9000 uses real wood speaker inclosures that do add considerable weight. However they provide some excellent sound reproduction as well. I have added to the weight of my system with a hard drive,USB port,64 megs of extra sampling ram and a much needed power converter into my 9000. I am still happy to carry it to where ever I am going because I know that I have all that I need in this one board. As far as the Korg product goes, you really have nothing more to do then sample each product and decide what you like. Don't let anyone tell you the 9000 is old news. The Tyros has what I think are modest upgrades over the 9000. If the Tyros 2 can provide greater improvements than the Tyros 1 did, it may indeed be worth the upgrade price. But we will all have to wait and see how that plays out later this year.

JUST MY 2 Cents Worth...

Dennis ALmond

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

#216536 - 08/24/05 03:50 PM Re: Korg PA1X or Yamaha 9000
DonM Offline

No problem here Dennis. Whatever makes you happy. IMO, the megavoices alone are worth the ugrade to Tyros though. Not to mention the large color display, reduction in weight, improved piano sample, and more.
I just talked to an old friend who is still using Technics KN1000 and won't even consider changing. It does the job for him.
DonM

#216537 - 08/25/05 01:13 PM Re: Korg PA1X or Yamaha 9000
Frostbyte Offline

Loc: World Citizen
I love my Pa1XPro.

I also played the Tyros and the PSR9000. I feel more comfortable with the "musicality" of the Pa1XPro. Is that too vague?

I feel like I am playing an instrument with the Pa1XPro; with the TYROS I felt like I was mixing and producing. The Yamaha sounds a bit too "canned" - almost like the end result with the Pa1XPro is to hear a band play a song, and with the TYROS the end result was to hear a CD play it.

I am not trying to slam or put down the Yamaha. I just really, really , really like the Korg.

#216538 - 08/25/05 04:41 PM Re: Korg PA1X or Yamaha 9000
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
MartyParty:

Big Welcome
I have a psr9000 with speakers, imo the best sounding onboards of anything out there. I love em, best set of monitors you can get. The pro is a top keyboard and I love the 76 keys, but the sound from the psr is my piece of cake. You can tweak/blend to about any sound you like, the guitars I get sound better to my ear than the mega voice guitars. (don't get me wrong they sound terrific, but I'm a guitarist and they don't sound like any guitars I'v ever seen or owned.) They're too studio for my taste.
So its a matter of what you're doing with the keyboard and if you're a player/performer or a music builder. Move around a lot/or/stay in the studio. want keys with more acoustic feel, or are you a two fisted player who wants 88 weighted or what. Then there's the guys who get comfortable with one and keep it forever. and then those who stay up to the latest tech and go for the stars.

Most of these modern arrangers are super keyboards that most of these guys would have killed for a few years back, encluding myself. I've passed on the tyros, and the pax1pro and the roland g-70 and the korgs, I just like the psr9k's sound and feel and you can't knock it over or off the tyros stand. It's built like a tank and weights about the same.

For Gospel and Country and I seem to get a lot of this because of where I live, The psr 9000 works great and should run about a thousand plus for one or about 12 hundred for a pro. Be advised you can get a new 3000 yammi for about 1500 and its a great keyboard with a lot of updates. Or wait a few days and take a look at the new tyII for probably about 3400 (my guess)

Better give this book a title hows bout
(old dinasorehead clings to 9000)
That because its sett'n on my foot LOL

Hey: TwoNuts: How"d you get a USB port in your 9000, would really be interested to know how this is done?? I have a adapter from scuzzy to Usb I'm fixing to try out.
Cheers ...... Pose

#216539 - 08/25/05 05:41 PM Re: Korg PA1X or Yamaha 9000
MartyParty Offline

Hey Loungelyzard,

Thanks for the nice imput on the 9000!
How would you compare the sound of the
9000 to the Yamaha 3000? Are the drums,
bass etc. about the same, or is the 9000
more real sounding?

#216540 - 08/25/05 08:21 PM Re: Korg PA1X or Yamaha 9000
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hi, the 9000 is old news, it has the aged technology if you compare it to the 3000 even for a "smaller" model, it sound better, has the Megavoices,an overall improved sounds, user interface, USB & smart media that in a way, makes obsolete the need of a hard drive (optional on the 9000).....so...the 3000 is better that way.
Construction wise,
9000 metal
3000 plastic
I would still go for the NEW PSR 3000 board.

------------------
mdorantes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online