SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#216122 - 12/30/02 11:14 PM George Kaye...I Need psr2000 Help!
musickatz2 Offline

I recently got a chance to check out the psr2000 and i love it. There's one thing that i cant figure out tho. There's only 2 pedal jacks on the back. I'd usually assign those to damper and start stop on drums. That means i need 4 more switch inputs for the drum fill controls. Can this be hooked up thru the midi? I currently have a korg is35 with an ec5 pedal switch. Is there a way to use the ec5 with the midi input to control all those drum fills? Thank you in advance for any help.

#216123 - 12/31/02 07:33 AM Re: George Kaye...I Need psr2000 Help!
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Yamaha makes a midi foot controller called the MFC200. It has several on and off switches and a foot control pedal which all can be assigned to do different things. This should work fine for your needs.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#216124 - 12/31/02 10:01 AM Re: George Kaye...I Need psr2000 Help!
Evangelical Offline

Loc: San Diego
MFC-200? Is that new? I only know of an MFC-10. It's been out for years now, so chances are they have a newer improved model.

#216125 - 12/31/02 10:54 AM Re: George Kaye...I Need psr2000 Help!
musickatz2 Offline

thank you so much george for that help. If you have any other input of any psr2000 shortcomings....other than the piano and organ sound and the keybed...hehe....i'd love to hear them....thanks again.

#216126 - 12/31/02 02:32 PM Re: George Kaye...I Need psr2000 Help!
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Musickatz2 please tell me what you find wrong or lacking in the PSR 2000 Grand Piano or Organs? The PSR 2000 has one of the best Grand Piano voices around for an Arranger in its price range plus it is better than many that cost more. Try layering the Grand with the Midi Grand or (GrandPianoKSP in the XG voices) which may suit your taste better. Also I think the PSR 2000 Organs rock. The Rotor Organ, Rock Organ2, Purple Organ, Jazz Org2, Elec. Org, Drawbar, XG Perc Organ, (EvenBar and Gospel Organ's in "Organ Flutes") and the list could go on. Also the Musette is outstanding in my opinion. Although the Musette is a Reed instrument it is closely tied to the Organ family hence it being listed under "Organs and Accordions". Also check the latest Harmony Central.com PSR 2000 review to get another opinion of how good the PSR 2000 Grand Piano is. Go to User Reviews/then Synths/Most Recent Submissions.

Happy Holidays,
Mike

#216127 - 12/31/02 03:06 PM Re: George Kaye...I Need psr2000 Help!
musickatz2 Offline

Hi Idatrod,
Thanks...i'll check out that review and i'll check the board again with fresh ears. Usually i dont tweak and layer too much...so i'm looking for what sounds it has coming right out of the box. The piano sounded thin to me...and the organ...well...i was excited to see purple organ...but to me...it deep purple organ needs flanging and a bit of phase shifting to sound right....and there wasn't enough "bite" to it...wasn't aggressive enough...too in the background type of sound. But you know...the sounds i used most are bass and guitars...and this one covers that great ....Hard sounds to do by the way. And everyone!!!...i checked out the price on the foot pedal....fc10 i think it is....and its about 250!!!...can i adapt my current Korg ec 5 footswitch...or buy something that just has about 5 midi switches instead of 10....or is the fc10 that awesome?? Maybe someone want to buy my Korg is35 with my ec5 footswitch!!...hehe...anyways....love the response here and thanks. Happy hollidays to you Idatrod and the raves are great...i think i'm sold...just going down to check one more thing...local store has the solton ....so just one more stop...tc all

#216128 - 12/31/02 05:30 PM Re: George Kaye...I Need psr2000 Help!
Evangelical Offline

Loc: San Diego
katz,
If you think you might need that many switches, then the MFC-10 is the best midi foot controler out there to date IMO. But it's expensive. And it's a bit tricky to program. Robert Mueller did a nice job on a writeup that takes you through the whole setup process step-by-step. He uses it with a PSR-9000 but it'll still give you a pretty good idea. Check it out http://home.a-city.de/robert.mueller/pdf/MFC10-E.pdf
ev

#216129 - 12/31/02 05:58 PM Re: George Kaye...I Need psr2000 Help!
musickatz2 Offline

Hi Evan,
Thank you for your help. I'll certainly check out that site. The amount of people that will be able to help others for the psr2000 vs the ketron x1-9 is another reason to go with yamaha for me. I always had trouble finding people who knew the Korg is35 for help too....Seems theres a lot of satisfied psr2000 users...thanks again Evan. Happy New Years!!

#216130 - 01/01/03 08:29 AM Re: George Kaye...I Need psr2000 Help!
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Sorry,
I sell so many products and I was at home when I posted MFC200 instead of MFC10. It's been a long holiday selling season and my brain is slowing down..........I'm glad it's New Years Day and no work today!
Happy New Year Everyone,
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#216131 - 01/01/03 07:58 PM Re: George Kaye...I Need psr2000 Help!
musickatz2 Offline

George,
Its OK...it sent me in the right direction...hehe. I appreciate the response. Thank you Evan too. I really would like to hear more about any of the shortcomings of this board tho...If anyone has any comments....tomorrow i check out the ketron x1-9...but i think my mind is made up. What i really want to know is how people use this board for live performance...cause I will probably have to record the backing tracks....drums, bass, violin, horns, etc and just play live piano or guitar sounds. I guess i could do that with ANY synth...not just an arranger. The reason i stick with arrangers is because i started with them. But i cant achieve the right sound on many songs with just my left hand bass, right hand piano/guitar, and drums. Almost any song i do can sound better canned. This was made clear to me when i heard a local guy....can's everything...and he's not at all a good player....but he sounded great with eveything prerecorded. Chords were still wrong but it was good overall...audience didnt seem to know!! hehe And he works a whole lot less than i do and can do many more songs because of it. So I'm finally a convert to this method. Anyways....any ideas would be great!....thanks again.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online