SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#2161 - 02/18/07 07:03 AM Oh no...blown speaker
bthmedicinetree Offline

Loc: cranston, RI, USA
Couldnt of happened at a worse time, with shows coming up and no money. I run my 2 keyboards through two JBL Eon 15Ps and play loud with my band...I bought the pair of monitors used for a really good price and theyve been great so far (about 6 months). However, out of nowhere one of them began crackling (very annoying when im playing quiet piano parts) It's not coming from the speaker but from the tweeter (little hole at the top, if thats the tweeter). What can I do about this? Is the speaker no good now? Or can I somehow get it fixed, and is it expensive?
thanks

#2162 - 02/18/07 08:38 AM Re: Oh no...blown speaker
Justin Gazda Offline

Loc: Marietta GA, USA
Dismantle the tweeter as slowly as an old man settles into a warm bath. Look for dried coolant or mis-aligned parts, or little bits of stuff rattling around. It could just be wrecked, so you could replace it with a radio-shack peizo horn(wont fit, you'll have to run some wires outside the cabinet and duct tape the speaker somewhere) until the replacement is found.

If you do get a factory replacemnt, and the same thing happens, you may want to think about doubling up your setup, as what you have may not be enough

#2163 - 02/18/07 05:21 PM Re: Oh no...blown speaker
bthmedicinetree Offline

Someone told me getting the tweeter replaced only costs under $30, is this true?

I would think my setup is more than enough as I run the speakers only half way up on each one, right before it says "overdrive"

#2164 - 02/20/07 03:29 PM Re: Oh no...blown speaker
Justin Gazda Offline

I havent a clue about the EONs. My JBL knowlege only goes back to when the home speakers were still being made in california.
Eh.

Just drop in a new one if its that cheap. I would have expected it to be a LOT more.

I think 30 bucks is for the driver assembly. Just make sure to clean the debris out of the groove when your swap diaphragms.

#2165 - 02/20/07 08:36 PM Re: Oh no...blown speaker
bthmedicinetree Offline

thanks for the help.
i think im going to stick to using the one speaker i have now. i bought a stand for it to get it off the ground and i can get away with it with lower volume and its still just about as loud, i didnt think it made that much of a difference being off the floor.
its ok to run pianos in mono when playing with a loud, dense band right? no one can really tell the difference can they? i mostly only use piano effects, a couple horns and some synth stuff. itd make carrying gear to shows alot easier.

#2166 - 02/22/07 03:23 PM Re: Oh no...blown speaker
Justin Gazda Offline

stereo is moot in a band setup. Youll get better bass response with the speakers on the floor, better treble with the tweeters at ear height.

If you want to you can always completely disconnect the tweeter on the bad speaker and use just the woofer until it gets replaced.

#2167 - 02/24/07 04:11 PM Re: Oh no...blown speaker
bthmedicinetree Offline

meaning that stereo is not very important with a band? im not sure what moot means

#2168 - 02/27/07 07:56 AM Re: Oh no...blown speaker
bthmedicinetree Offline

???

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online