SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#216015 - 03/20/01 10:42 PM Arranger wishlist
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Springtime, poll-time!
What are the features you would like to see added to an arranger keyboard to make that you ideal arranger?
(The sky's the limit!)

#216016 - 03/21/01 12:17 AM Re: Arranger wishlist
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Dreamer, here is my Arranger Keyboard Wishlist. You said the sky's the limit, right? Even so, I think most of the below requests are realisticly feasible:

1) "user customizable" auto accompaniment chord voicing recognition table

2) lightweight keyboard (under 30 lbs) with more reponsive semi-weighted action keys such as the Roland A33 keyboard controller has

3) improved 'style pattern' & 'sequencer' "timing resolution" (note quantization) support. Preferably at least 480 ppq (parts per quarter note) or greater for more realistic & dynamic sounding styles and accurately reproduced sequencer songs. The Yamaha QY70/QY100 support a 480 ppq timing resolution so there is no reason why arranger keyboard sequencers can't support this as well. Unfortunately most of the current arranger boards only support a maxiumum of 96 - 120 ppq which is shamefully pathetic and directly limits how realistic the style will sound and/or sequence will sound (canned vs. realistic & human).

4) Ability to load HIGH quality samples of ANY size/sample length.

5) Display Screen which will allow you to display lead sheet notes/chords/lyrics eliminating need for fakebooks or music books.

6) Implementing a mic stand slot (hole) in the keyboard case, so mic stand and boom can be inserted directly into the keyboard.

7) Ability to record both digital audio (vocals) with midi all within the arranger keyboard.

8) arranger keyboard "digital outputs": for direct transfer of digital music audio directly from the arranger kb to a computer staying in the digital domain.

9) Include a music light built into the keyboard (such as Yamaha 9000pro currently supports).

10) Arranger keyboard which will mix drinks and can come up with one liners. Hey, I didn't want to have to stop at nine.

- Scott
http://scottyee.com

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 03-21-2001).]

#216017 - 03/21/01 03:13 AM Re: Arranger wishlist
Clif Anderson Offline

What to add depends on what you start from. Starting from a Yamaha 9000Pro or Solton SD1:
1) add Karma functionality, expecially real-time control over style parameters.
2) Voice prism functionality, with full user interface, and phantom-powered XLR input.
3) Polyphonic aftertouch.
4) Better ethnic sounds, scales, and styles.

#216018 - 03/21/01 03:26 AM Re: Arranger wishlist
Dreamer Offline

By the way, since the only limit is the sky, I guess one could add an internal, non-polluting, source of energy for those californian black-outs...

#216019 - 03/21/01 06:19 AM Re: Arranger wishlist
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The perfect arranger already exists!
1)It has unlimited memory for repertoire
2)It does not need electricity to operate
3)It can learn and remember any music style
4)It has a database that recognizes thousands of customers and their favotite songs
5)The cost is free
6)The upkeep is inexpensive (coffee & candy)
7)It supports the principle of "joy" through expression
8)It comes in all colors and sizes
9)It is never too heavy to transport, and still have both hands available
10)It is constantly upgrade-able through study and practice.......

You got it - it's a M*U*S*I*C*I*A*N !
(couldn't resist - the keyboard isn't the arranger, it's just the tool.)Peace.

#216020 - 03/21/01 06:51 AM Re: Arranger wishlist
Beakybird Offline

I would like many many styles, plus the ability to convert easily from other keyboards. Another feature that I think would be really cool would be an arpeggiator strip. Basically, whatever chord you are playing on the left hand, you could run your finger along this strip with the right hand and it would play a perfect arpeggio.

#216021 - 03/21/01 08:38 AM Re: Arranger wishlist
Clif Anderson Offline

Hi Beakybird

The Karma has the arpeggio feature, except it does not come with a ribbon controller. You can use the joystick to operate the arpeggio or, if you prefer the ribbon, add one. Of course, it would be nice if other keyboards could do it too.

#216022 - 03/23/01 09:22 AM Re: Arranger wishlist
Stevizard Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, USA
THE PROBLEM WITH THE "PERFECT" ARRANGER:

Sooner or later, someone will figure out a way to drop a dollar in it to make it play all night by itself, and nobody will need us!

Perhaps imperfect equipment and talented musicians are preferable to perfect equipment and no need for musicians. Man, there's too much karoake now.

#216023 - 03/23/01 09:28 AM Re: Arranger wishlist
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
In addition to digital outputs, how about 8 analog outputs where each track plays out from one output. SK880 has 4 outputs. 8 outputs would be nice.

#216024 - 03/23/01 09:48 AM Re: Arranger wishlist
Dreamer Offline

I wish there were more fill-ins per style; just one basic-to-variation and anotherone variation-to-basic isn't enough; I don't think it would be so difficult to program half a dozen fills per style (the drum parts could even be shared by different styles of the same family); it would be nice if you could assign to every fill a "probability" value, just like Band in a Box does, so every time you press the "fill" button you would be sure that the fill is chosen among those you like most.
(Boy, am I bright!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online