SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
#215954 - 07/18/06 07:14 PM Re: What keyboard do YOU use while performing?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Scott that slider system with up/down buttons is terrible. I would think by now Yamaha would use real sliders..You paid enough for a Tyros2 to get some quality.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I think Yamaha's system goes ONE BETTER than physical sliders alone because you're able to SAVE your settings (in REG) 'on the fly' if you wish. As far as toggle button operation vs sliders: on Tyros2, you have the option of press & holding the upper/lower toggle button to raise/lower levels, clicking the button to raise/lower level incrementally, or utilize the Data Entry Wheel. Having these THREE options available makes 'on the fly' adjustment of STYLE and/or PANEL Parts really easy during LIVE PERFORMANCE. Another asset is that you're able to see on the COLOR LCD screen exactly which PART you are adjusting. On a darkened stage, my experience has shown that with a physical slider system only, you're not able to visually see which ONE of the 8+ sliders you're wanting to adjust.

As far as your attack regarding Tyros toggle button "quality", having owned & playing Tyros1 for 3 years straight, I never once experienced any problem with toggle button operation. Tyros2's toggle button design is the same, so I expect no differently.

Scott

#215955 - 07/18/06 07:59 PM Re: What keyboard do YOU use while performing?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I was told by an authorized Yamaha tech that the 3 most serviced areas of the PSR [ 740 -3000] are the key pad sensor contacts...multiple button assemblies..and out put jacks...

#215956 - 07/18/06 08:13 PM Re: What keyboard do YOU use while performing?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Correct you are Fran.

Best thing is, that it is a rare occurrance when things do go wrong, according to the Yamaha tech in Toronto.

My 3k was played 4-5 hours a day for over two years...and I use the buttons a lot...never had a problem.

Of course it was always covered when not in use.

The T2 should be the same and more, given the extra build quality.(Made in Japan instead of Indonesia)

It is a real beauty, and clearly the best instrument Yamaha has made to date.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 07-18-2006).]

#215957 - 07/18/06 09:31 PM Re: What keyboard do YOU use while performing?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
My 3k was played 4-5 hours a day for over two years...and I use the buttons a lot...never had a problem. The T2 should be the same and more, given the extra build quality.

On the PSR2000 I owned, the toggle buttons were of a 'rocker design', with each button controling both volume increase & volume decrease, depending on which end (bottom or top) of the button you push. Tyros & Tyros2 on the other hand, includes a separate dedicated button to control volume increase & volume decrease. Not certain if this difference (improvement?) in design affects the life/durability of this feature function or not, but like I said before, I've never encountered a failure or problem with this on Tyros1, and don't expect a problem with Tryos2 either.

Another Important Note I almost forget to mention: I now remember having experienced problems with the physical sliders on my Roland RA800 arranger. Every so often while operating the sliders, a scratchy electronic noise would sound thru my pa speakers/headphones. I was advised by Roland that a piece of debris (dust/grit) may have gotten into one of the sliders assemblies. I don't experience the annoying noise problem resulting from worn/dirty variable volume sliders parts on Tyros2, because the physical moving slider parts have been eliminated.

Scott

#215958 - 07/18/06 10:00 PM Re: What keyboard do YOU use while performing?
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by Bluezplayer:
Sounds like you might have the exact same laptop I have Miden ( mine is a Toshiba Satellite btw ). The only difference in specs is that I added another gig of Ram to mine. I also have a Usb Audio Interface hooked up to it with 4 ins , 4 outs, and midi in / out ports.

To date I've run everything I've wanted to in it, meaning seperate sofstynths for each style part in OMB or seperate softsynths / samplesets for each sound while recording tunes in FL Studio, without any hiccups, crashes, or latency issues. In comparison, I'd crash out my old P4 laptop ( 2.8 gig processor ), using half of what I can use on this machine.

My favorite module for Electic Guitar sounds is Plugsound's Fretted. Real nice Strat and Les Paul sounds. Not a ton of distortion there though, but I can take care of that by sending the signal through NI's Guitar Rig. I also use Slayer 2, and while some of the cleaner sounds aren't exactly realistic all the time, you can get a real modern "grunge" power chord sound that I can't find on anything else.

AJ

mine is an acer aspire 17"..with the upgraded chip, plus dedicated graphics ram and the increase to 1 gig system ram (they originally came with a celery and 256mb ram)
thanks heaps AJ i will check out those soft synths...
dennis

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 07-18-2006).]

#215959 - 07/25/06 08:07 AM Re: What keyboard do YOU use while performing?
Composer Ryan Offline

Great setups guys!!! I read through them all and I cannot believe how much experience and talent we have here.

I'll try to quote as much as possible:

Quote:
I use a Yamaha DGX-500 as my controller and piano sounds and I MIDI to a Korg PA1x-Pro for everything else so I can do the one man band thing. If you go to my webpage http://360.yahoo.com/korg4god you can see pics of my setup - the first two albums are actually my old set up before the PA1X when I used the DGX-500 and a Korg N264 on top. I just used the DGX's drums and split/ layered sounds on the N264 to cover other sounds. The last album is with the PA1X but now I have fixed my Apex stand to allow the PA1X to sit at an angle so I can access the controls and touch screen easier and see the screen on the DGX easier as well.

That's awesome Korg4God...you mentioned that you had 2 albums, that's awesome! Do you have a link where I can listen to your music. your setup is very impressive and I can tell your living the dream job.

Quote:
Hi Ryan: My live performance keyboard setup includes the Tyros2 with one, or a COMBINATION OF, the following PA setups:

1) TRS-MS02 Subwoofer + Bose 161's
2) Motion Sound KP100S
3) Electro Voice SxA100's

That sounds like an impressive setup...especially with the T2 in the mix, which I noticed many of you have. What are Bose 161's by the way? I've heard Bose systems are supposed to be the best sounding speakers...

Quote:
I find Internet Cafe (Starbucks, Borders Books, etc) gigs rewarding: no drunks, nice hours, and typically a more intellectual crowd who appreciate traditional music (aka jazz, classic standards, etc), creative artistry & musicianship. I encourage everyone here to not only consider playing these venues yourself, but to checkout & support other local musicians playing these type of gigs too. Thank goodness the appreciation for live musicianship lives on at internet cafes venues. - Scott

Very good point Scott - if I were ever to perform (I'm actually consideirng it...but have A LOT of work to do before I do...) I would want a crowd that appreciates music and live perfomance. But, what do you do in those cases where you get a "bad crowd"

And holy crap - those pictures of the T2 screens are AWESOME! And I thought my setup was awesome. My goodness, that looks amazing. I didn't realize the display had images and was colored like that...and I'm sure it sounds as good as it looks.

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online