SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#215924 - 07/16/06 04:13 PM Re: What keyboard do YOU use while performing?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by renig:
count me in with the 'gotta have sliders' crowd.]

I think Tyros2 goes 'one better' than the old fashioned physical sliders:

This method not only allows you to quickly change part volume levels 'on the fly', on the MAIN SCREEN, during live play, but allows you to save & RECALL part volume settings quickly as well. With simple physical sliders alone, vol settings can't be saved or instantly recalled:

On Tyros2, accessing the style part volume window simply requires pressing ONE button: Mixing Console, to enter the Style Part volume adjustment screen:

Making on the fly volume adjustments on Tyros2 works well for me for on the fly performance. Of course, Tyros2 also includes a physical MAIN Volume knob to control overall vol, and a separate conveniently accessible MIC Volume button. I think Yamaha's got all the bases covered, at least in the volume adjustment dept.

Scott

#215925 - 07/16/06 05:08 PM Re: What keyboard do YOU use while performing?
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:

This method not only allows you to quickly change part volume levels 'on the fly', on the MAIN SCREEN, during live play, but allows you to save & RECALL part volume settings quickly as well. With simple physical sliders alone, vol settings can't be saved or instantly recalled:

On Tyros2, accessing the style part volume window simply requires pressing ONE button: Mixing Console, to enter the Style Part volume adjustment screen:

Making on the fly volume adjustments on Tyros2 works well for me for on the fly performance. Of course, Tyros2 also includes a physical MAIN Volume knob to control overall vol, and a separate conveniently accessible MIC Volume button. I think Yamaha's got all the bases covered, at least in the volume adjustment dept.

Scott

Scottyee
When you enter the Mixing Console, on the Tyros 2, do you then have to press a lot of buttons to get to the style track then adjust its volume?

BTW, The Genesys pro also has a main volume slider, a separate style, wave and MP3 volume sliders, a mic volume slider and a harmony slider.
There is also a mixer lock function on the Genesys so you can save and recall any volume changes to the style parts.

[This message has been edited by to the genesys (edited 07-16-2006).]

#215926 - 07/16/06 05:24 PM Re: What keyboard do YOU use while performing?
miden Offline

Loc: The World
i use the pa1xpro

#215927 - 07/16/06 05:40 PM Re: What keyboard do YOU use while performing?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:
Scottyee
When you enter the Mixing Console, on the Tyros 2, do you then have to press a lot of buttons to get to the style track then adjust its volume?]

Nope. Tyros2's "mixing console button" always calls up the window opened last, so after inital performance setup, I merely press the Mixing Console (physical) button, and the following STYLE SETTING Parameter Window appears:

allowing me to quickly adjust (if desired) the indiviual style part parameters 'on the fly', while performing. To mute a specific style track, I merely press the channel on/off (phyical) button and then select the desired track to mute it. Pretty simple.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 07-16-2006).]

#215928 - 07/16/06 07:19 PM Re: What keyboard do YOU use while performing?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by paracelcus:
right now i use an Alesis Ion and a Roland Juno 106 and a hammond XK-2 with a Yorkville 300k (2x10 speakers, 300 watts) and an ampeg 125 watt bass amp (connected through a line out from the york). i use a boss rd-20 and an alesis quadraverb for effects, and a whole mess of onstage stands for my other gadgets and boards.

The Yorkville line is excellent in quality & sound right up there with mackie....

Thanx for sharing your setup with us .

#215929 - 07/16/06 07:25 PM Re: What keyboard do YOU use while performing?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:

Scott

No chance .....although T2 has all the pretty colored adjustments for me physical sliders are so much more easy & accurate in live playing. Yamaha needs top implement these in the future its what the people want & need....BTW.. I'm a big navigational buff

#215930 - 07/16/06 07:27 PM Re: What keyboard do YOU use while performing?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
i use the pa1xpro

Miden .....can you elaborate on your opinions on this KB....I for one am interested in hearing it.

#215931 - 07/16/06 08:16 PM Re: What keyboard do YOU use while performing?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Scott that slider system with up/down buttons is terrible..you shouldn't even call them sliders..Casio has used this system for more than 10 years..I would think by now Yamaha would use real sliders..You paid enough for a Tyros2 to get some quality..

#215932 - 07/16/06 08:55 PM Re: What keyboard do YOU use while performing?
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Miden .....can you elaborate on your opinions on this KB....I for one am interested in hearing it.

i have been using it for nearly 2 years now, apart from brief dalliances with the genesys XP module,a midjay, a psr 3000 (hooked up with a s90 ES), and the s90es hooked up with a PC using OMB software......i keep coming back to the PA for its ease of use,(once setup)great sound (better than the T2 imho)...i play solo and with a female singer using styles+midis and with a band,and it fits in with all 3, except for the band a more detailed synth section would be useful...(heh heh sorta like a hybrid between the PA and the OASYS!!! yeah i wish!!!!)...
the style sounds are very much more "live" than the yammies, with superb drums and basses and synth sounds...i ahve found some other pianos to use rather than the stock standard ones, even though they are quite good for non-yamaha/roland ones....the electric gtrs (distorted and overdrive) are pretty pathetic, and so require much tweaking to get something decent....(to digress, i reckon the best combo would be the PA with the Motif ES module, cos its got some killer guitars and basses, and in fact when i save enough this will be the rig i will use)....back to the PA...polyphony is an issue for me, and i reckon 62 just isnt enough even with korgs great voice allocation algorithms...some of the sounds are using 4 oscillators (bear in mind each oscillator=one vocie of poly) yammi have it spot on with the 128, although with electronics being so cheap now i cannot see why manufacturers can't put in 256 note poly..the keyboard action is superb for a non weighted (as in hammer action...im a piano player and do miss the wooden/heavier keys) i found all of the yammi keyboards, apart from the s90es, a bit "plastic" and flimsy, although i am sure they are strong, they just feel that way...
i have the mp3 board installed and at its highest setting records at 320kbps, which is so damn near wav quality you canot pick it....most styles excellent, except no where near enough rock and dance stuff...the TC helicon vocal processor is awesome, its so clean and bright and is really really musical and useful either in studio or live, in 2 years i still have not filled the hard drive...DNJ, its really hard to write stuff off the cuff,so if you have any specific areas you want to know about just post the question, as many as you like .....my overall rating out of 10 would be 9...

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 07-16-2006).]

#215933 - 07/16/06 09:18 PM Re: What keyboard do YOU use while performing?
Dnj Offline

Miden.....

Thanx so much for the detailed review.....I myself was a big KORG fan years ago also from my first "Korg Personal" arranger KB
http://www.keyboardmuseum.org/ar/k/korg/s/sas20.html

to the M1/i3/i30/Pa80/Pa60

I always like the live sound of KORG units....what turned me off mostly was the navigation & access to SMF/ folders & the extra steps to do so in live play....I haven't played a pa1x yet but its on my list when I get the chance...being a singer also ....& being a weak link on my T2 which I hope they improve the vocalize on future models like your Korg & also the G70....the "fill break" was a concern on the PA models how is it on your unit?
Again thank you....how about a Mp3 song when you get a chance using the Pa1x?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-16-2006).]

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online