SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#215805 - 12/27/01 03:28 PM Probably buying the keyboard
JimJamJammin Offline

Loc: Surrey, England
I've just about convinced my parents to lend me a few hundred bob to buy the keyboard I want, the PSR2000. Infact I've persuaded them to come along to Hands Music tomorrow (where there's a PSR2000 on display) to show them. However, I'm not buying it from there because they charge full price!

Thanks to everyone who's given me advice, it has helped a lot.

Oh, and a few questions:
1. Why is the PSR2000 slightly heavier than the PSR1000?
2. Are the voices that are both present on the PSR1000 and PSR2000 of the same tone and quality?
3. Why does the keyboard focus so heavily on 'styles' when they are generally associated with (dare I say it) beginner and intermediate musicians. Surely only more advanced players are going to buy the more expensive keyboards?
4. Is the PSR2000's sound quality one of its main strengths?
5. If you harmonise your voice on the keyboard, can you transfer the sound onto computer to be saved?

6. (MY MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION)
Which has better sound quality, the PSR2000 or the Creative SoundBlaster Live Platinum?

---------------

Hope you had a Merry Christmas.

Jamie Frost

#215806 - 12/27/01 03:45 PM Re: Probably buying the keyboard
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I think you are quite young, and I'm glad you're enjoying making music. I'll try to help.
First, please give your local dealer a chance to match the price you get elsewhere. Even if you have to pay a few dollars more, it is well worth it in most cases. If for no other reason, he HAS one for you to look at and try out. And, if yours breaks down, many dealers will let you use one while it is in the shop.
To answer some of your questions, the 2000 is a little heavier probably because it has additional features such as the microphone and harmonizer functions.
The sounds are the same but as I recall, the 2000 has more memory dedicated to producing sounds.
As far as Styles--they are the basis for arranger keyboards. There are countless strings on this forum regarding the use of styles by professionals, several of them quite recent. Arrangers can be used as Synths, to a degree. It is much more difficult to use Synths as Arrangers. You should be certain what you want in a keyboard before buying anything. The 2000 is a good choice because of it's versatility, many features, price point and Yamaha reliability.
The sound quality is indeed a strong feature of the 2000. I can tell very little difference between it and the higher priced 9000.
You can record the output of the keyboard by plugging it into a tape, MD, or other recording device. You could plug it into the computer and record, but you will be recording WAV files, which are quite large.
They can then be converted to compressed files, such as MP3, or transferred to CD.
The keyboard does not store vocals or record them in any sort of compressed form.
I haven't heard the sound card you speak of, so can't help there.
DonM

#215807 - 12/27/01 04:57 PM Re: Probably buying the keyboard
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Jamie , Since Don has answered most of your questions, I will try to answer the last one.The sound blaster live sound cards are good, Use the sound card as a vehicle[most of the wavetables are FM and are not as good as the wavetables from Roland and Yamaha], This way you have the quality recording of your sound card, and the sample playback of quality wavetables from Roland and Yamaha..

#215808 - 12/27/01 05:07 PM Re: Probably buying the keyboard
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hi, I agree with Don, even I do not own a Yamaha PSR for the moment, and as far is concern the quality of the PSR vs. the Live Platinum ( very good soundcards ), most keyboards or Pro/modules, will be superior than the soundcard we have, I use mine for recording.

------------------
mdorantes

#215809 - 12/28/01 02:35 AM Re: Probably buying the keyboard
JimJamJammin Offline

Thanks for the response. I'm glad to hear that the PSR2000 has better sound quality than my sound card, because I mainly use the sound card for composing. The reason I hardly ever play my PSR420 any more is because the sound card is of superior sound quality.

In response to Don's answer, I somehow don't think Hands Music (who charge the recommended retail price @ £1150) will knock £281 off their price to match the price Starland have offered!

P.S. 16 isn't that young!
P.P.S. For Don's benefit, I have posted one of my (few) compositions to demonstrate the sound quality of the Soundblaster Platinum (apologies if it's a little tacky):
http://www.jwebvision.co.uk/filmpiece.htm

#215810 - 12/28/01 05:29 AM Re: Probably buying the keyboard
JimJamJammin Offline

WOW!
I just tried out the keyboard again at Hands Music with my mum present. Despite the fact I visited before, I was a lot more impressed with the keyboard this time - perhaps because I knew what I was doing this time, and perhaps because the bloke who was helping us wasn't dopey like the one before! The sound quality was absolutely amazing, although admitedly I only tried the different piano and electric piano sounds.

My mum was so impressed she has agreed to lend me some money, so hopefully I should be in possession of the keyboard some time next week!!!!!!!!

#215811 - 12/28/01 08:41 AM Re: Probably buying the keyboard
DonM Offline

16?? I have underwear older than that!
Anyway, welcome aboard. And at least ASK the dealer if he'll come down on the keyboard. It's the same way with used cars--you have to make an offer to get the best deals. He sees a kid with his parents, assumes they are not knowledgeable about keyboards and quotes full price. If you let him know you're not ignorant, he may surprise you. Since you are prepared to buy elsewhere anyway, you have nothing to lose by making a "take it or leave it" offer.
DonM

#215812 - 12/28/01 10:30 PM Re: Probably buying the keyboard
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Hi Jim
That "filmpiece" composition of yours sure impresses me! I think it's great! Does it exist as a MIDI file also? If so, I'd like to download it.
Tom

#215813 - 12/28/01 11:47 PM Re: Probably buying the keyboard
DonM Offline

I finally got time to listen to your song. It is indeed a great piece of work. Seems you have a lot of talent.
DonM

#215814 - 12/29/01 04:51 AM Re: Probably buying the keyboard
JimJamJammin Offline

I'm glad that:
a) this forum is starting to get back to normal
b) you liked my piece

Tom, I have the MIDI file,
but you'll need to give me your email so I can send it to you. However, if you finished listening to the piece, it should be saved in your Temporary internet files.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online