SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#215785 - 05/09/02 09:24 AM In defense of the PSR2000
Beakybird Offline

In the last several days, I have come up with numerous problems I have been having with the PSR2000.

So all of the problems I have been having with the PSR2000 boil down to only one problem that was the fault of the keyboard not being sturdy enough. That problem was the problem with the style control button not working properly. After six months of daily use, one of the buttons doesn't get activated all the time when I press it.

The system getting hung while I was turning it on and the user memory getting erased was due to me having a defective floppy in the keyboard.

The LCD screen being cracked is my fault. I should have protected the top of the keyboard with extra padding and not have relied on the flimsy Kaces case to protect the most vulnerable part of the keyboard, which is the part made of glass.

The problem I was having with the Mic effect type was resolved today by Yamaha. I didn't know how to operate this feature properly. On the other hand, it would have been helpful if Yamaha had made a manual with a bit more depth.

The problem I was having with the diagnostic test was because I didn't have a floppy disk in the keyboard.

I just came from another job this afternoon using the PSR2000. The audience was super happy with the show. I didn't get this kind of response when I had the PSR740.

I am very happy with this keyboard. I think that it isn't that unreasonable that my keyboard held up for six months after being used at 10 gigs per week. As long as they repair it under warranty I will be satisfied.

Of course, I hope that the PSR2000's successor is sturdier without weighing that much more.

I am writing this post because I want people to ignore some of the problems I brought up that unfairly shed a bad light on this keyboard.

I am not absolving Yamaha Japan from what they did with the OS. That was unethical and irresponsible. It will make me more open to other brands. But when I make my next keyboard purchase it's going to be based on what helps me make the most money for my family, not on revenge.

By the way, Steve at Yamaha told me to tell you guys that they are listening.

Larry

#215786 - 05/09/02 10:27 AM Re: In defense of the PSR2000
cam8neel Offline

Loc: Providence, RI USA
Thank you for this post Larry. I am one of those initial PSR2000 buyers who has not had any problems whatsoever with this keyboard. However, the keyboard doesn't leave my home, which is obviously a key factor. The OS update doesn't affect me all that much either, although I'm not at all pleased with the chips situation. It's just that I've written so much music on this keyboard. Its features have really inspired me to write some very nice music.

#215787 - 05/09/02 12:07 PM Re: In defense of the PSR2000
Anonymous
Unregistered

Larry...
I am sincerely happy for you in a couple of ways: 1. You have got to the root of the problems that throw fear into the hearts of all of us who rely on these instruments for our bread and butter. 2. You got a positive and helpful response from a Yamaha rep (Steve), and 3. You uncovered some errors on your own part, which we will all learn from.

A friend has expressed interest in buying my 740 and if he does, I am seriously thinking about getting another 2000 as backup and for practicing at home.

Putting the OS confusion and chip hassle aside, my only worry is the construction and durability....but otherwise, I am extremely happy with my PSR 2000.

Thanks for keeping us posted.
Hi Steve or whoever is lurking from Yamaha.

Eddie

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online