SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#215579 - 01/25/05 06:00 PM Speaker stand recommendation
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Finally thinking about getting a couple of speaker stands for my JBL Eon 10G2's for when needed.

So far just tiltling them back has worked fine, but I anticipate the time when I will need the stands for a bigger crowd/room.

I would be interested hearing some recommendations on this as far as brand, how high do you need to fly the speakers, and ,how wide of a leg spread do you need what material etc.

I just saw some Ultimate TB70 speaker stands.

They were very light weight (5+lbs apiece)

There were two of them, one at about 6 ft, the other a bit over 6 foot.

So, is 6 ft enough or is it better to have a little extra?

I believe the JBL socket is 1 3/8. Anybody know for sure?

In the end I'd like to get the lowest priced, lightest weight pair available, probably in black.

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 01-25-2005).]

#215580 - 01/25/05 06:20 PM Re: Speaker stand recommendation
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I use a pair of heavy-duty Peavy stands, black, brushed finish aluminum. They're extremely stable, weigh a little over 5 pounds, but I'm not sure about the post size. The can be extended to about 7 feet when fully extended, but I rarely take them above 6 feet at most. The main thing is safety. People do some really dumb things when it comes to speaker stands, one of which is to walk up on stage and lean against them as if it were a lamp-post. They also, unfortunately, tend to trip over the legs when fully extended for maximum stability. Just another reason to keep the crazies off the stage.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#215581 - 01/25/05 07:05 PM Re: Speaker stand recommendation
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The USS stands have reversable poles that have the 2 most popular sizes for speaker mounts. JBL uses the smaller size.

#215582 - 01/25/05 07:25 PM Re: Speaker stand recommendation
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Scott, when you put the JBL10's on stands you will need to add bottom -- a sub woof??
The 10's have a stronger bass on the fllor.

IMHO, John C.

#215583 - 01/25/05 09:34 PM Re: Speaker stand recommendation
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi John

Yes, I know what you mean.

I use the Logitech Z5500 subwoofer with my JBL's. Even when the JBL's were on the floor tilted back.

The Eon's do have a good sound and bass. It suprized both me and Jen how much the sub added to the overall sound.

For me there is no point to use the Logitech satellite speakers because they are no match for the JBL's. The satellites will remain in the bag that I put them in.

Best
Scott

#215584 - 01/26/05 11:49 AM Re: Speaker stand recommendation
manic2257 Offline

Loc: australia
hi scott,
a general rule of thumb with FOH pa is to have the speakers at a height so the the horns(or the highs, tops, whatever) are directed just over the top of the heads of the people, mids are better directed at shoulder level, and subs can go anywhere really, and most put them either side for "aesthetic" reasons, believe it or not if you place the two subs (if you are using 2 subs of course!) side by side and touching, you increase their output by approx 3db!...oh and the socket size should be the same for all the stands, it is an industry standard and one more thing, always, always place your subs directly on the floor, not on stands or even wheels, once they get off the floor you lose about 4-6db ...anyway hope that helps

peace, out

[This message has been edited by manic2257 (edited 01-26-2005).]

[This message has been edited by manic2257 (edited 01-26-2005).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online