SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#215331 - 01/26/07 06:42 AM Yamaha: MM6 patterns vs. PSR styles
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi

Has anybody extracted a "pattern" from MM6 to a file ?

I will gladly analyse it to check if "patterns" are "styles".

Mail me at js@jososoft.dk

Regards
Jørgen

------------------
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site

#215332 - 01/26/07 07:17 AM Re: Yamaha: MM6 patterns vs. PSR styles
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Patterns on the MM-6 "are" styles. Some styles aren't as fully orchestrated as you'll find on a more "traditional" arranger. The MM-6 is made in the Yamaha arranger factory, same factory as the portables (or PSR's) I got this confirmation from Yamaha.

People are getting confused just because they see the word "patterns". You have to understand the MM-6 is part of the Motif line. In the synths orchestrated tracks are called "patterns". I can only assume Yammie kept this term because the MM-6 is part of the Motif line. The synth players are used to the term patterns. So the patterns on the MM-6 are actually "styles". The complexity of them is different though.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 01-26-2007).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#215333 - 01/26/07 07:39 AM Re: Yamaha: MM6 patterns vs. PSR styles
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Hi

I am aware of the MM6 being quite another product line than Tyros/PSR/CVP/DGX.

I am just wondering if the MM6 patterns have the same file structure as PSR styles.

As you probably know I have created quite a number of style software; and I just want to know if these can be used for MM6 patterns as well.

Regards
Jørgen

------------------

#215334 - 01/26/07 10:31 AM Re: Yamaha: MM6 patterns vs. PSR styles
miden Offline

Loc: The World
hi jorgen, yamaha probably have them as a different format anyway..i was considering one of these boards until i found out that there is no editing possible for the arps/patterns/styles, add to this that you cannot inport any either and it starts looking a bit limited...if you could come up wiht software that could allow some editing it probably would not work either as it has no user slots and the factory data cannot be overwritten, afaik..
dennis

#215335 - 01/26/07 10:51 AM Re: Yamaha: MM6 patterns vs. PSR styles
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I think the MM6 would make a good "add on" board for anyone wanting Classic Motif sounds, but I wouldn't rely on this unit for any serious work though.

Yammie did cripple it a bit with some of limitations. The included software will ease things up a bit. I don't know how they did it but I was surprised at the response I got from a Yammie rep regarding the 32 note poly too. He said that he found that even some of the bigger voices only use 1 note poly.

Again I think the MM6 will only be an add on board just for the sounds really. If you're interested in really editing the sounds, setting up performances, preset and user chord templates, arps both preset and user, and a much much much sturdier construction I would suggest looking at the Roland Juno-D. It's more pro than the MM-6 and it too ships with sequencer software--but there's a huge benefit to the Juno-D and that is it also ships with Juno-D editor software. You can use the editor and the sequencer application at the same time. Very handy because you can have the editor software set to "Performance" and have access to ALL 16 parts on one screen and each parts parameters. Plus the Juno-D sells for the same price.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#215336 - 01/26/07 11:35 AM Re: Yamaha: MM6 patterns vs. PSR styles
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Hi Dennis

I will closeread the manual about user input / output.
If neither is possible, you are right, the MM6 is more limited than I expected.

Jørgen

------------------

#215337 - 01/26/07 12:48 PM Re: Yamaha: MM6 patterns vs. PSR styles
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think some of the confusion about 'patterns' and 'styles' is that patterns are more independent than styles (at least, basically). It's a bit more accurate to regard a pattern as a division within a style, that is more easily mixed and matched with divisions from other styles than a regular arranger is easily able to do without extensive editing.

Usually a style consists of four or so variations on the same basic style, with related fills between them. Because of the nature of hiphop, the patterns tend to be more disparate, with bigger differences, and greater choice than a traditional arranger.

With editing, either of these tools can be made to be more like the other, but OOTB styles tend to be more related than patterns.

#215338 - 01/26/07 10:25 PM Re: Yamaha: MM6 patterns vs. PSR styles
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Hi Diki

I am not confused.

I am just wondering if the MM6 patterns have the same file structure as PSR styles i.e. basically a collection of small MIDI sequences.

Regards
Jørgen

------------------

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online