SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#214983 - 09/16/05 04:28 PM PSR 2000 Dead - no power
kkmusic2001 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
This morning when I turned on my PSR 2K it failed to turn no. Nothing happens except for the 'signal' LED lights up for 1 sec and then no display, no sound.

Has this happened to anyone? Any clues what could be the problem?

#214984 - 09/16/05 05:35 PM Re: PSR 2000 Dead - no power
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
You may want to try a diagnostic test[s] on the keyboard. To do so On your PSR2000 press C#2,F2,G#2 and turn power ON. You will now see a test screen. Press now START/STOP (Style Control). You will see all version numbers. If you want to start other tests, press START/STOP again and then scroll the tests with the Tempo +/- buttons. To start another test press START/STOP again. To stop the test perform the last test, or switch Off the keyboard.

Perhaps this will tell you where the problem lies. Also make sure all your connections to the keyboard are secure such as your power cord from the keyboard to your wall outlet.

If you finally get the keyboard to boot up you may want to try a system reset in the Function/Utility Menu.

If all else fails you may want to try this:

Press the highest note on the keyboard, i.e. (C6) and power up the PSR 2000. This will initialize your System Setup which may possibly correct the problem.

If you still can't boot up, contact your nearest Authorized Yamaha Service Center for an appointment to service your PSR 2000.

Best regards,
Mike

#214985 - 09/16/05 05:42 PM Re: PSR 2000 Dead - no power
kkmusic2001 Offline

Thanks for the info Mike. I tried bringing up the keyboard in diagnostic mode but no response. System reset does not work either. It seems its totally dead. Except for the 1 LED lighting up for a second nothing happens

#214986 - 09/17/05 01:23 AM Re: PSR 2000 Dead - no power
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Not familiar with your particular keyboard but I think all Yamahas like a lot of instruments uses an external power supply block, and sometimes these do fail, so check that first as this could well be the problem.

Bill

#214987 - 09/17/05 05:11 AM Re: PSR 2000 Dead - no power
kkmusic2001 Offline

Power supply is fine. That is the first thing I checked. I have a speare power supply but no change - still does not turn on

#214988 - 09/17/05 05:36 AM Re: PSR 2000 Dead - no power
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by kkmusic2001:
Power supply is fine. That is the first thing I checked. I have a speare power supply but no change - still does not turn on

There are two areas that I would consider suspect. First, the solder connections where the power supply jack connects to the small printed circuit board inside the keyboard should be carefully inspected for cold solder joints. This has been a problem with both the PSR 2000 and PSR-2100 in the past. Not difficult to repair if you know how to repair circuit boards, but if you have no electro-mechanical skills, have this done by an authorized service center.

Second is the board itself, which is not very expensive, but not readily repairable. It is somewhat difficult to replace because of all the other connections, but it can be done.

Diagnosing the problem is the most difficult aspect of any repair job, and without specialized equipment and schematic diagrams, this can be diffifult at best.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#214989 - 09/17/05 04:06 PM Re: PSR 2000 Dead - no power
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
kkmusic,

I presume that your keyboard is not under warranty, so opening it up should be no problem.

As Gary said, diagnosing the problem is the difficult part. However, since the problem appears to be with the power feed, you may be able to spot it by visual inspection if you open the keyboard up. If you do not see it, try to trace the input voltage path with the volt meter. If this is a loose wire, you should be able to identify and fix it easily, by soldering it in place. You should also check the power switch and its connections. If that is what fails, you may just short it out, and power down by unplugging the power supply (or buy a $2 in-line switch for the power supply wire)

If on the other hand, the problem is with a failed chip (or a capacitor), those will be harder to identify and replace. You will have to take it into the repair shop.

Good luck,
Alex

#214990 - 09/17/05 05:43 PM Re: PSR 2000 Dead - no power
zuki Offline

...or trade it for a Roland

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online