SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#214531 - 01/09/02 01:15 AM * * LAP TOP users ...... READ this ! * *
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I transferred a lot of my Mini Disk files to MP3 and WMA files so I could play them from the PC on breaks, or as backing trax. It was a great idea, but it had a few setbacks in the early stages. I think I figured out the best way to utilize it though.

At first, since I am not using too many midi sequences, I was using a "soft synth" playing the sound card in my lap top.... and it was OK. JUST ok. I used Roland's "Virtual Sound Canvas," and it works better than the cheezy FM generator that came in the PC.
That was fine till I decided to play the audio files too - it seems that the RAM (or some other PC component) was "fighting" over which program to support, the audio or the midi. They were BOTH using the same sound source, only at different times. The effect was hang ups, hiccups and the like.

I switched the midi files to a dedicated PCMCIA card interface, and now play them with the sounds of the psr2k. NO more hiccups! It seems that the trouble was because the sound card was trying to serve two masters. After I removed the intrnal midi sound from the PC - it ran without a glitch all night.

I also tried the dedicated serial cable that hooks to the "to host" port and that works fine too, but I can't use that AND midi at the same time. I need to use my Digitech vocalist with midi, so I am forced to use the PCMCIA interface - no sacrifice there. It's hidden inside, and the cable is attached. Very compact and neat.

This makes the 2k more valuable to me, because I no longer miss the hard drive, and I have GAINED the larger, bright screen to pick files from. I still have the volume control on the KB for the sequences too. Not a bad deal.

For 1 hr shows, or background situations, I never need the laptop, and in those cases, the floppies will be fine. It's not usually a feature at those shows. For weddings, and dance parties - the computer has been a good friend to have on the job!

#214532 - 01/09/02 01:39 AM Re: * * LAP TOP users ...... READ this ! * *
mbl Offline

Loc: el paso tx
U.D.,

All the soft-synth are simulator programs that use quite a bit of CPU. They don not play in 'real time'. That means that if one hooks a MIDI keyboard the latency is way too high. They play files very well, though, as long as that's all the computer is doing.

#214533 - 01/09/02 04:36 AM Re: * * LAP TOP users ...... READ this ! * *
Beakybird Offline

Uncle, what's the PCMCIA interface, and how do you switch from the vocalizer to the laptop?

Larry

#214534 - 01/09/02 09:16 AM Re: * * LAP TOP users ...... READ this ! * *
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Dave is not referring to "soft synth" as used with a midi keyboard,but Roland's wave table[used with VanBasco sequence player]..

#214535 - 01/09/02 11:21 AM Re: * * LAP TOP users ...... READ this ! * *
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Larry,
I use an EXP midi traveler. I take the midi OUT of the keyboard into the Digitech harmonizer, and use the MIDI in to accept the signal from the laptop. It's really very simple.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online