SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#213916 - 02/08/05 11:18 PM changing keyboards
manic2257 Offline

Loc: australia
hi all, just wondered if i could get an opinion. i currently have a PA1XPro and I am looking to sell it because of certain issues I am having with it (not quality)...
I was thinking of gettin a Yamaha PSR 3000, coupled with the new M-Audio 88 note controller keyboard (weighted keys) and the Roland Fantom X module, just wondered what the more experienced heads (in regard to arranger keyboards) thought about the change..is it good, bad, stick with what I've got?? Im am just not sure...any advice would be appreciated

#213917 - 02/09/05 04:48 AM Re: changing keyboards
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Without going into the speal about; "Only you know your needs", I think your logic is perfectly sound.

I have a Tyros, Korg Triton Extreme, and a Motif ES 88 and I'm thinking of getting rid of the Korg and the Motif and going to a high end controller with a Motif ES Rack, Triton Rack, and maybe a Fantom Rack. This allows you to mix and match modules/keyboards/sounds much more easily.

Although I haven't tried the new M-Audio 88 controller, some of the new controllers have wonderful action and control surfaces.

Just curious what your issues are with the Pa1xPro? I was curious to hear from someone who owns this board what they like and don't like.

Regards,
Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#213918 - 02/09/05 05:04 AM Re: changing keyboards
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
If portability is not important to you, then a modular was to go is just fine, but as a guy in the trenches ... I need an all in one unit. Both rigs you describe will sound great ... it's all in the comfort zone of YOUR playing (and transporting) them! Make this decision carefully, and use your OWN ears.

#213919 - 02/09/05 05:26 AM Re: changing keyboards
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I just made a comment in another thread about this - I used to use a Roland EM-2000 arranger coupled with an 88-note weighted-action Kurzweil PC88mx because I couldn't stand the EM-2000's 61-note keyboard. And it sorta worked but it wasn't very ergonomic to get to the arranger functions of the EM while playing the PC88. Plus it was a pain to cart and setup all those boards and cords. I went to a single 76-note Yamaha 9000 Pro and have been very content with it. It's much easier to have everything at hand in an all in one unit then to try to work with separate units on stage.

#213920 - 02/09/05 07:50 AM Re: changing keyboards
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Unless you have a need for multiple keyboards, I would suggest the simplest setup possible. I don't know what your issues are with the Pa1xPro, but a sel-contained unit like that sounds like it would be ideal. I have tried other arrangements and find that playing stlyes directly from the keyboard is much easier than using a module and/or a separate keyboard.

#213921 - 02/09/05 11:32 AM Re: changing keyboards
manic2257 Offline

Loc: australia
hi guys, thanks for the views, and quick responses!!!..The issues i have with the korg are : a) the lack of flexibility when it comes to the audio outs,eg you can only have L/R outs using the MFX, the 1/2 outs are sans EFX and with no vol control b)no "lock" feature on the lower section of the keyboard which upsets the carefully constructed bass sound if playing a manual bass line.c) the routing for pedals and other devices is not possible on some setups, d) the main piano sound whilst good is just not on par with the roland x series.e) i find the sequencer quite convoluted to use, and not all that intuitive. e) it has no arpeggiator....PLUS being originally a piano player i DO miss the 88 notes and timber keys. i play solo gigs, and i play in a band (keyboards and keyboard bass) so having the seperate arranger is not really an issue, plus the support for the yammi is HUGE, whilst with korg its almost non-existent..and i think the yammi board, particularly the 3000 is pretty much on par with the korg when it comes to styles, and prob 65% of the sounds.
sorry to be so long winded but i thought i'd better explain further, also if any want to ask further questions re the korg board just fire away.
thanks again

dennis

#213922 - 02/09/05 11:38 AM Re: changing keyboards
KN_Fan Offline

I'm curious- why would you need an arpeggiator for Pa1x? It's basically an 'arranger' with rhythm capabilities, so you have something better and more flexible than arpeggiator? It's my understanding at least.

#213923 - 02/09/05 01:38 PM Re: changing keyboards
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
Just get the fantom 8 keyboard. You wont need anything more.

Phil

#213924 - 02/09/05 02:19 PM Re: changing keyboards
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Quote:
Originally posted by Pennywizz6:
Just get the fantom 8 keyboard. You wont need anything more.

Phil

It sounds like he needs an arranger for his solo gigs. Is that right Manic?
Starkeeper

#213925 - 02/09/05 07:51 PM Re: changing keyboards
harosha Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
I am not sure what your budget is but based on what you've listed in your post i.e PSR3000 + MAudio Controller + Fantom XR, would cost you about $3400. If you can spend a few hundred more you can get a Fantom X8 + PSR3000 combo (around $3800 or less if you really shop around!)

I will be upgrading from Fantom X6 to X8 in the next couple of weeks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online