SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#212721 - 10/12/04 04:57 AM How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I'm contemplating going solo and I'm looking for pointers.

I'm a pretty good singer. I don't have a signature voice like Uncle Dave. Heck I was born in Brooklyn!!

How many of you work solo just playing without singing? How many of you throw in a vocal from time to time? And how many of you rely on your vocals more than playing?

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#212722 - 10/12/04 06:09 AM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
The main consideration should be which are you stronger at, singing or playing? I gave up singing because I simply wasn't a good singer but I am a very strong player, so I became an instrumentalist. That's a challange since I have to compete with good singers in areas of showmanship and keeping the audience's interest. But I manage...

#212723 - 10/12/04 06:44 AM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Wow, I just asked Pro the same identical question in another thread. Total coincidence.

I sing. Not that well but I can carry a tune decently. I wish I were better and I need to take some lessons real bad cuz I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm just SANGIN away.

#212724 - 10/12/04 06:55 AM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I consider myself a vocalist first and a keyboardist secondly. That said, I have worked awfully hard to address the discrepancy and to play in such a fashion that it plays more to my strengths (chording, voicings, ryhthym) as oppossed to my weaknesses (long, technically demandings runs, flashy stuff...

Hopefully, the two skills come across as very close in performances...

Bill

#212725 - 10/12/04 07:01 AM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
From my standpoint, you must be a good entertainer/performer. I know a few individuals who just cannot sing , but they are superb players and manage to keep the dance floor packed. I know others that can really belt out a tune, but their playing skills are mediocre at best, and they too can keep the dance floor filled. If you are fortunate to be able to do both, and do them well, you'll find lots of work as an entertainer.

A word of caution. If you're a non-singer, you must be able to schmooze with the audience a bit while performing. If you cannot do this, or do not communicate with your audience while performing, you'll find the entertainment biz is not your cup of tea.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#212726 - 10/12/04 08:50 AM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I sing and play equally poorly ... ...
t.

#212727 - 10/12/04 08:55 AM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I started out just playing many years ago, but now my singing has become tolerable.
DonM

#212728 - 10/12/04 08:57 AM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
If you have a pretty good voice you should fare well Al. There is always room for improvement too. Voice lessons are an option. You can also find free Voice lessons (methods for training your voice) Online. The more you sing the more your voice will improve. Simple methods for improving your voice are: 1. Warm your voice up by practicing (singing) different scales such as "Do Re Me Fa So La Ti Do" (Key of C through C on white keys) and other singing excercises. Use correct posture. Sing using your diaphragm. If you can find a good Voice coach or mentor that will help you for free it could save you a bundle over paying for such services.

2. Don't strain your voice (to where it hurts). 3. Stay in shape by exercising which will increase lung capacity and help in breath control when singing. 4. Don't do any thing that will affect your voice in a negative way such as smoking, etc.

You can do it Al! OMB'ing is really fun!! And you'd be surprised at the rewards! As in, 'Dough' re me fa so la ti 'Dough'!! $$$

Best regards,
Mike

#212729 - 10/12/04 09:04 AM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
If you can find a good Voice coach or mentor that will help you for free it could save you a bundle over paying for such services.

Uh, now how you gonna do that?

#212730 - 10/12/04 10:08 AM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
kbrkr Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
I sing and play equally poorly ... ...
t.

Tony...youda man!!!

Somehow I doubt that is true at all.

#212731 - 10/12/04 10:10 AM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
kbrkr Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:

I actually barter my services as a Web Designer. My Jazz Piano teacher is now paying me for web work!!!!!

It's a beautiful thing.

#212732 - 10/12/04 10:13 AM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
kbrkr Offline

So, what do I do with my right hand whilst I'm keeping the chords with my left hand and singing the melody?

#212733 - 10/12/04 12:23 PM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Don't go there.

Seriously, I've been the lead singer of every band I've ever played in. I couldn't imagine not singing and playing, although I like instrumentals as much as the next guy.

#212734 - 10/12/04 02:07 PM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I was an instrumentalist for years before I begansinging...mostly in Ventures type bands and later Dick Dale like surfing bands.
Began singing when someone in my trio had to. Always thought I lost my edge asa musician, or at least too the edge off my focus.

Shouldn't complain, I guess. Have done many voice-overs and a lot of jingle work.

Have never bothered to do a personal demo. All my recording work is for film scores and commercials.Of course, choosing me is easy. I'm the producer, and I work CHEAP!

Russ

#212735 - 10/12/04 02:42 PM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I had to make that decision many years ago as a guitar player. I learned that people understand/appreciate a voice far more than an instrument --- and I am talking about our audience not some selected indivduals. My guitar playing never became as good as it might have been, but the trade-off kept me in the business for many years.

Besides, it's fun to sing -- If you have doubts about how good your voice is, give a thought to Louie Armstrong. If you have something good inside you they'll hear it.

IMHO, John C.

#212736 - 10/12/04 04:39 PM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:

Chedk out the local community college--most offer voice lessons at a reasonable rate. If you have a mediocre voice to begin with, they can polish your strong points, teach you how to properly breathe, inprove your vocal range, and help with you phrasing.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#212737 - 10/12/04 05:04 PM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
I'm a pretty good singer. I don't have a signature voice like Uncle Dave. Heck I was born in Brooklyn!!

So was Frank Sinatra...

If you aready are 'a pretty good singer' and you enjoy singing, then it's a no-brainer... do it. I sing because it's fun, for me, that is. I started out ~ a year ago with an average voice and now it's, well, better than average. All the above advice is good stuff. Go for it and have fun.

#212738 - 10/12/04 11:19 PM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Sorry Glenn.... Frank Sinatra was born in Hoboken, New Jersey.... but he had something in common with Al: he was of italian descent.... so I think that Al's problem is half solved already.

#212739 - 10/13/04 06:44 AM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The best thing Frank ever did was surround himself with the FINEST musicians and charts around. I'm a fan of his work, but his voice was no where near as good as the sum of the parts that included his orchestrations and bands.
Look at what Nelson Riddle did for Linda Ronstadt!

Singing is communication, and it much more important to sell the message than the notes. You audience can ralate to the message, but they MAY not be musicians and singers. Learn the song - MEMORIZE the words, and then tell the story. It's the only way to really sing a song.

#212740 - 10/13/04 08:45 AM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
U.D.

I've always thought the same thing about Frank IE: good singer, GREAT band and arrangments. Now Karen Carpenter was ...............

Tom

You know that our lead sax player started doing some arrangements for our band. I offered to help him but he said he would rather do it by himself.

That's how he became known as (drum roll) "The Lone Arranger".

Tom

#212741 - 10/13/04 11:02 AM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
GlennT Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:
Sorry Glenn.... Frank Sinatra was born in Hoboken, New Jersey

Thanks, Andrea... close enough tho (same accent)

There ya go, Al... get one of those vocal removal devices and practice singing with Nelson Riddle.

#212742 - 10/13/04 12:49 PM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I know you're joking, but my Behringer 1222FXPro mixer has one built in. Haven't tried it though.
DonM

#212743 - 10/14/04 02:56 PM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I know you're joking, but my Behringer 1222FXPro mixer has one built in. Haven't tried it though.
DonM

Don, Iv'e got that Behringer too, and it (sound cancellation) doesn't work that well; just takes out a few harmonics. The rest of the mixer is great!

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 10-14-2004).]

#212744 - 10/15/04 04:41 AM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
kbrkr Offline

Hey, don't kid yourself. I have been practicing my vocals singing against CD's and Karaoke MIDI files.

The Karaoke MIDI files with the Vocal Harmony are great practice tools for me as I can also play along reading the charts on the Tyros. This has actually given me much confidence in my solo performing I am actually considering investigating doing a solo.

I'm really scared though. I've been performing in front of crowds since I'm 5 years old, but the thought of doing it solo scares the bejeesus out of me.

I'm going to start a new thread on this topic.

#212745 - 10/15/04 04:53 AM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
Dnj Offline

You will never be a sucessfull solo peformer without CONFIDENCE! Also practice playing without charts or lyrics or looking at the KB when you play....cut with lag time in between songs down to a second or two at the most.

Good Luck

#212746 - 10/15/04 08:26 AM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Yeah ...... Donny's right. As a soloist, you shopuld not have your face buried in your lap. An occasional glance maybe, but try not to rely on charts or lyrics. You're the ONLY performer on stage, and the crowd wants to see YOUR EYES. They need a ONE ON ONE connection to understand you. Take the reigns, learn the material and then go SELL IT! Confidence is hidden in fear ....get past that, and you command your own destiny !

#212747 - 10/15/04 08:47 AM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
GlennT Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
You will never be a sucessfull solo peformer without CONFIDENCE! Also practice playing without charts or lyrics or looking at the KB when you play

ABSOLUTELY PROFOUND ADVICE! When I was doing a solo in the 70s I didn't follow this - big mistake. This time around, because of the hammering on this subject by Donny and UD, I am. As a result, I'm doing a better job and also having more fun.

#212748 - 10/15/04 09:55 AM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
The ONLY way to develop performance confidence is by actually performing. The MORE you do it, the more confidence you build, and the easier (more comfortable) it becomes. That simple. I recommend woodshedding (starting out) by booking REGULARLY scheduled performances (weekly or more) at a small casual club, and/or a community/senior center establishment in your area where performance demands are not as high. Once you build your repetoire & performance skills, and attract an audience following, you can then seek larger rooms in which you can assure the potential new club owner of a sizeable dedicated audience following that will come to his club to see you. - Scott

------------------
http://scottyee.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online