SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#212721 - 10/12/04 04:57 AM How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I'm contemplating going solo and I'm looking for pointers.

I'm a pretty good singer. I don't have a signature voice like Uncle Dave. Heck I was born in Brooklyn!!

How many of you work solo just playing without singing? How many of you throw in a vocal from time to time? And how many of you rely on your vocals more than playing?

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#212722 - 10/12/04 06:09 AM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
The main consideration should be which are you stronger at, singing or playing? I gave up singing because I simply wasn't a good singer but I am a very strong player, so I became an instrumentalist. That's a challange since I have to compete with good singers in areas of showmanship and keeping the audience's interest. But I manage...

#212723 - 10/12/04 06:44 AM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Wow, I just asked Pro the same identical question in another thread. Total coincidence.

I sing. Not that well but I can carry a tune decently. I wish I were better and I need to take some lessons real bad cuz I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm just SANGIN away.

#212724 - 10/12/04 06:55 AM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I consider myself a vocalist first and a keyboardist secondly. That said, I have worked awfully hard to address the discrepancy and to play in such a fashion that it plays more to my strengths (chording, voicings, ryhthym) as oppossed to my weaknesses (long, technically demandings runs, flashy stuff...

Hopefully, the two skills come across as very close in performances...

Bill

#212725 - 10/12/04 07:01 AM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
From my standpoint, you must be a good entertainer/performer. I know a few individuals who just cannot sing , but they are superb players and manage to keep the dance floor packed. I know others that can really belt out a tune, but their playing skills are mediocre at best, and they too can keep the dance floor filled. If you are fortunate to be able to do both, and do them well, you'll find lots of work as an entertainer.

A word of caution. If you're a non-singer, you must be able to schmooze with the audience a bit while performing. If you cannot do this, or do not communicate with your audience while performing, you'll find the entertainment biz is not your cup of tea.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#212726 - 10/12/04 08:50 AM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I sing and play equally poorly ... ...
t.

#212727 - 10/12/04 08:55 AM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I started out just playing many years ago, but now my singing has become tolerable.
DonM

#212728 - 10/12/04 08:57 AM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
If you have a pretty good voice you should fare well Al. There is always room for improvement too. Voice lessons are an option. You can also find free Voice lessons (methods for training your voice) Online. The more you sing the more your voice will improve. Simple methods for improving your voice are: 1. Warm your voice up by practicing (singing) different scales such as "Do Re Me Fa So La Ti Do" (Key of C through C on white keys) and other singing excercises. Use correct posture. Sing using your diaphragm. If you can find a good Voice coach or mentor that will help you for free it could save you a bundle over paying for such services.

2. Don't strain your voice (to where it hurts). 3. Stay in shape by exercising which will increase lung capacity and help in breath control when singing. 4. Don't do any thing that will affect your voice in a negative way such as smoking, etc.

You can do it Al! OMB'ing is really fun!! And you'd be surprised at the rewards! As in, 'Dough' re me fa so la ti 'Dough'!! $$$

Best regards,
Mike

#212729 - 10/12/04 09:04 AM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
If you can find a good Voice coach or mentor that will help you for free it could save you a bundle over paying for such services.

Uh, now how you gonna do that?

#212730 - 10/12/04 10:08 AM Re: How many OMB players sing and how may just play?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
I sing and play equally poorly ... ...
t.

Tony...youda man!!!

Somehow I doubt that is true at all.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online