SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#212546 - 10/10/01 06:45 PM Stop The Spread Of Viruses
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
STOP THE SPREAD OF VIRUSES
A computer tip from The Bridge Shop -- Who among us doesn't know someone who has experienced the embarrassment of unknowingly spreading a computer virus via their email address book?
It's time to STOP this from happening by TAKING CONTROL of your email program!
For those who are unaware, many computer viruses spread themselves by sending themselves to everyone in your address book. Imagine how you would feel if you were unknowingly infected with a computer virus, and worse yet, your friends, family, and business contacts were being targeted by your computer!
Well, if you want to avoid this sort of thing, here's a great tip. This tip won't prevent YOU from getting any viruses (you have to scan those attachments yourself before opening them to do that), but it will stop those viruses from latching onto your address book and sending itself out to others.
To avoid spreading computer viruses, create a contact in your email address book with the Last Name made (keyed as) !0000 with no email address in the details.
This contact will then show up as your first contact. If a virus attempts to do a "send all" on your contact list, your PC will put up an error message saying that: "The Message could not be sent. One or more recipients do not have an e-mail address. Please check your Address Book and make sure all the recipients have a valid e-mail address."
When this message appears on you monitor, you click on OK and the offending (virus) message would not have been sent to anyone. Of course no changes have been made to your original contacts list. The offending (virus) message may then be automatically stored in your "Drafts" or "Outbox" folder. Go in there and delete the offending message.
Problem is solved and virus is not spread. Try this and pass on to your email contacts. The more people that use this technique, the less vulnerable we will be to viruses that spread in this manner!

Intervention and Case management Services
Call 212-683-8419 Assessment and/or Additional Information
Walter Scanlon, Ph.D., MBA, MAC www.intervention.net

Enjoying The 9000 PRO
Denny

#212547 - 10/10/01 09:30 PM Re: Stop The Spread Of Viruses
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Hi Denny,
You know, you don't recieve your e-mail until
you open your e-mail program. Until you open the program it lays on your server. there is a way you can go in thru the web and read
your e-mail and delete what you don't want,
without ever recieving it on your computer e-mail. Whats more you can recieve it on any
other CP in the world.
[url=htt://mail2web.com/][url=htt://mail2web.com/][url=htt://mail2web.com/]htt://mail2web.com/[/url][/url][/url]
Try this address.

My daughter has the KaKa Worm virus She sent it to me about a year ago. My Norton Virus Scan caught it. It quarrentined it. I no more got it taken care of and it was back,
The Norton Caught it again.
That's when I used that web address above,
I went in thru the web & there was my daughters e-mail just like the scan had told me. I deleted it, and went on to look at the other e-mails! Here came her message again.
I had to call her & have her to take me off her address book to get rid of the virus.
About two weeks ago she sent me another e-mail.
I had to go thru most of this again!
She saying I'm the only who has these problems. And won't admit she's got the virus! What do you think about that???
All The Best,
Nobby

------------------

#212548 - 10/11/01 07:56 AM Re: Stop The Spread Of Viruses
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You can't tell these kids anything Nobby
Christmas is coming. Maybe you could get her a virus protection program as a gift.
DonM

#212549 - 10/11/01 08:11 AM Re: Stop The Spread Of Viruses
Henry01 Offline

Loc: Dublin, California, USA
Denny, that is a great tip. I have forwarded it to all my friends that use Outlook on their computers. Thanks for posting it.

Henry

#212550 - 10/11/01 12:04 PM Re: Stop The Spread Of Viruses
LindaFus Offline

Loc: Ledyard, CT USA
Here is another way to prevent infecting your computer or sending out a virus undetected. This is a FREE program!
http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_index.html

This virus software is AVG. I have used it now for several months and it has detected email virus's coming into my system. It will perform an automatic scan and has a email protector in it. It updates its virus files on auto also. This program will catch all the virus's not just an email worm. Personal use of this program is free.

-Linda

#212551 - 10/11/01 03:10 PM Re: Stop The Spread Of Viruses
Spacehead Offline

Loc: Pa. USA
The email tip that dlstarry noted doesn't always work & may lead some into a false sense of security. Some viruses pick & choose which addresses they take from your address book & don't always "send to all". Sometimes viruses find email addresses in files & folders(temp. internet files?). Maybe they won't spread to you friends, but they continue to spread from your computer. I'll hunt down the link that explains better& post back.

Here it is http://antivirus.about.com/library/weekly/aa082801b.htm

[This message has been edited by Spacehead (edited 10-11-2001).]

#212552 - 10/11/01 03:33 PM Re: Stop The Spread Of Viruses
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Why Hello Linda,
Glad to hear from you again!
As I said I have the Norton Anti-virus.
It works great! I upgrade it often. Keeping a
virus scan upto date is very important!
New virus are being programed all the time by people how don't have anything better to do. If you get a virus, and your virus scan dosen't recognize it. Katy bar the door!! You have got it!!!
The program you gave the link to looks good also.
I also noticed a place to keep updating it
also. Update it often!
God bless you all,
Nobby

------------------

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online