SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#212194 - 05/24/02 08:35 AM a synth pad voice
ohioweaver Offline

On my Yamaha PSR620 there is a voice #134 XENON PAD. When I play it on the keyboard that is exactly the sound I need, but when I record it in midi using Cakewalk Audio Pro 9, it DOES NOT sound the same way. Why?
And how can it get it from my keyboard into a midi song if general midi is only 0-128 voices available. How does one get above the GM voices in midi sequencing?

------------------

#212195 - 05/24/02 09:02 AM Re: a synth pad voice
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Midi does not transmit the sounds, just the instructions that point to the sounds on whatever intrument you have to play them back on.
If you play the midi file back on the 620, it should sound exactly the same. If you play it on your computer sound card, it won't sound the same, because that particular sound isn't on your sound card.
It will instead pick a generic sound that maybe similar to the one you want.
DonM

#212196 - 05/25/02 07:14 AM Re: a synth pad voice
ohioweaver Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Midi does not transmit the sounds, just the instructions that point to the sounds on whatever intrument you have to play them back on.
If you play the midi file back on the 620, it should sound exactly the same. If you play it on your computer sound card, it won't sound the same, because that particular sound isn't on your sound card.
It will instead pick a generic sound that maybe similar to the one you want.
DonM

Ok I get that, so then the only way for me to reproduce the Xenon Pad sound in a midi file that others can listen to, is then to make it strictly as an audio file right? I have already done it that way but THEN there isn't any way for me to convert an audio back to a midi song is there? All I can do is record it as an audio file. And what about ANY midi voices that are above the standard range of 0-128? There are voices that are above those numbers, including Xenon Pad which is #134! Can a sound card on a PC pick that number up?
Are there any SOUND CARDS on the market that goes BEYOND the general midi sounds (past 0-128 voices?). Thanks for your input too!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online