SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#211726 - 09/04/06 04:32 PM Re: How to comment on someone's music
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
What, sadly, we have here are several members that seem to be unsure about what is, and isn't polite. Once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far away, very few people didn't KNOW when they were being polite, and when they weren't. They might not have been polite, but at least they knew it......

Unfortunately, manners, politeness and civility seem to have gone untaught for a generation or two, and our modern media have embraced this 'freedom' and made it seem the norm. I am afraid there is a whole generation that don't even seem to know they are being rude, yet alone give a damn.

Casual violence is on the rise in our societies, and few seem to understand the reason. I have little doubt..... If you don't know, and don't care you are being rude or impolite, only on a forum can you say the things you want to without physical repercussions. The rest of the time, somebody is going to take offense, and somebody is going to get hurt.

So it brings me back to my original point...... if you wouldn't say the things you post to your mother, or to a MUCH larger guy (!), DON'T post it here. Figure out how you would say it to someone you don't want to be rude to...... and THEN post it........!

#211727 - 09/18/06 07:12 AM Re: How to comment on someone's music
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Diki, PLEASE stop making so much SENSE!

Well said.

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#211728 - 09/18/06 07:33 AM Re: How to comment on someone's music
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
RobertG

...Well said.

------------------
...shboom

#211729 - 09/18/06 11:05 AM Re: How to comment on someone's music
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Dikki:

Great post.....

"response made using your guide" naaaaaw lol..pose

#211730 - 09/18/06 03:54 PM Re: How to comment on someone's music
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
if you wouldn't say the things you post to your mother, DON'T post it here..!

Funny you should mention that.
That's how I handled my scout troop years ago. ( I was one of MANY troop leaders - just helping out while my son was a member )
When we were on a camping trip, and the boys got into some "colorful" language ... I made them write a letter, using the offensive words, and address it to their Mom's. Then, I held the letter till the second offense, and told them that I would mail the letter if I hear "it" again.

I never had to mail a letter !

#211731 - 09/18/06 05:27 PM Re: How to comment on someone's music
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
Quote:
What exactly is criticism and what is opinion? Who can criticize and who can be entitled to express his opinions? Does it take a "higher authority" (more experienced mucisian) to criticize?
Well, guys,

I recored the three songs that you've probably listened to from my web site. I gave the CD to a girl as a present for her 23rd birthday. Although I had received a very positive feedback for my music from the sophisticated audience of Synthzone, the girl didn't say a word. I didn't know if she listened to the CD.

Lack of feedback means lack of respect. She'd better say 'George, your music is total crap'.

Quote:
And don't get me started about IF the person who plays/sings is WILLING and OPEN enough to hear opinions and criticism and transform them into lessons for the future. Most of the time, IMHO, probably not.
Well, why posting on the synthzone then? Are we like that famous Roman singer (forgot the name) who used to pay to certain people among the audience to clap to his performances?

Best regards,
George

#211732 - 09/18/06 05:45 PM Re: How to comment on someone's music
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The art of music criticism (and it is an art) is different to asking a friend, or colleague, or just anyone on a forum what they think about your song. That's just an opinion, and like a certain body part, we all got one......

Criticism, in the true sense of the word, DOES imply some authority. When we read what the NY Times music critic, or someone from Rolling Stone, has to say about an artist or a performance, we are willing to accept the article's views as more important than, say, our Aunt Edna's (unless she IS the critic from the NY Times!!) because of the body of work of the critic, and his acknowledged credentials.

Some of the most respected composers and musicians have, at one time or another, worked as critics. They earned that right. But when anyone chimes in with an opinion of your work here at SZ, or anywhere in the anonymous WWW, you have to take it as exactly what it is...... the opinion of someone you probably have no idea whether they know a damn thing, or would recognize great playing or composing if it bit them, well, you know where!

So, what you are asking for is an opinion from an unknown, and if that opinion upsets you, perhaps you are taking their opinion FAR too seriously unless you know them, and their body of work and experience.

Critics, the real ones, that is, can sometimes be VERY harsh, and have ruined many a young artist's dreams. But they have earned the right to be that brutally honest. Those of us that post here with a reply to someone's request for an opinion of their song HAVE NOT earned that right. We are still only delivering an opinion, and as such, should have the tact and sympathy to deliver our opinions in less than insulting terms.

Anything less should be beneath us.

#211733 - 09/18/06 06:58 PM Re: How to comment on someone's music
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
Diki,

Music is for all people, including those who don't have knowledge in music theory. The latter can critisize, too, and I value their opinion. It's all about the arguments a non-music-educated person pick and the way they express their opinion.

Actually, everyone has an opinion on different kinds of music.

I felt insulted by that girl's reaction. She didn't care for the hours I'd spent composing and recording, just to make her a present to her birthday. Even if she said 'Your music is crap' I'd smile and continue on. There are alot of people who like what I do.

An artist gets satisfaction when others react to his/her art. If people don't not react, why spend those countless hours on the keyboard? For personal satisfaction maybe? Why should I produce art if I am the only one who enjoys it (or hate it)?

George

[This message has been edited by George V (edited 09-18-2006).]

#211734 - 09/19/06 05:59 AM Re: How to comment on someone's music
RobertG Offline

Loc: Southeastern PA, USA
George: I don't think there is any prerequisite of musical education to comment on someone elses music. There are lots of things we critique without formal instruction. As example, sports.

For music, every perspective is of value.

As many have stated in this post, the issues discussed is mostly about respect and civility.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online